Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Old Iron Spike Lever Thing

Is that the right ID for this? I found it this morning at a beautiful cellar hole deep in the woods - unfortunately I think it has been hunted over quite a bit so I am left with the iron. But this is pretty cool. About 17 inches long. That is a nickel coin in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3133.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	558766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3134.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	558767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3135.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	558768  

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1323 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

Re: Old Iron Spike Lever Thing

Bramble, do you think it was bent like this originally or do you think it was straight? I have no idea, but it looks like it was hand wrought. Interesting, Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks Breezie I originally thought it was bent but now I'm leaning toward made that way. I really don't know though.

Such a pretty place I found it at!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0143.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	558810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	102_0145.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	558811  

M_M
    us
    Nov 2009

The square head reminds me of a book telling the evolution of nails. "A Reverence For Wood" By Eric Sloane

The first nails didn't have heads until they were hammered for the first time. The first pounding gave them a little flattened ridge. The second generation of nails I believe had the square head.

This spike being long, could have been used to hold a tent down. It could also have been bent trying to pry or lift rocks by standing and jumping on. Seeing the tip has it's own bends I would think it was wedged into a box to pry it open and as more of it got into the box the leverage spot moved. That part is all wishful speculation as I've been reading about treasure chests all morning.

Looks like it's been hit with a hammer, so I doubt it was made that way, I wonder if it was some type of log splitter

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by M_M
    The square head reminds me of a book telling the evolution of nails. "A Reverence For Wood" By Eric Sloane

The first nails didn't have heads until they were hammered for the first time. The first pounding gave them a little flattened ridge. The second generation of nails I believe had the square head.

This spike being long, could have been used to hold a tent down. It could also have been bent trying to pry or lift rocks by standing and jumping on. Seeing the tip has it's own bends I would think it was wedged into a box to pry it open and as more of it got into the box the leverage spot moved. That part is all wishful speculation as I've been reading about treasure chests all morning.
    Thank you! I like the reference - I actually skimmed the Slone "Musuem of Early American Tools" book before I posted!

Quote Originally Posted by stefen
    Could be a lightning rod
    Very interesting idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Searcher

Looks like it's been hit with a hammer, so I doubt it was made that way, I wonder if it was some type of log splitter

SS
    I think I've been out in the woods too long today b/c it took me a while to process what you are saying but I think you might be right .. or on the right track

Lots of logging was done in this area.

The head of the spike is about 1/2" on each side so it is not the heftiest thing though... probably not a surprise it buckled.

Apr 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Grounding spike?
    For lighting strikes, house ground?
    Brady

us
    Mar 2011
    N Central Fla
    Ace 250
    39 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

If some of the logger relic hunters don't chime in, you can repost to the relic forum - there's guys that drag huge logging chains out of the woods that post there.

I especially like your attitude - "I found it this morning at a beautiful cellar hole deep in the woods - unfortunately I think it has been hunted over quite a bit so I am left with the iron. But this is pretty cool."

Feb 2008
    2 times

It looks like a 16th century beam spike. We stopped at an old church in England where they were taking the roof off down to the top of the walls. After talking with the workers, and being invited up on the scaffolding, he reaches over, pulls a spike out of the beam (yes, the oak was that rotten) and gave it to me. Still treasure it. The last roof and beams had been put on in 1560.

Jun 2006
    23 times

It may be a cribbing spike used to join timber to timber. Most of the ones i find are 12" to 14". The longest I found were 22" and these were along an old logging rr grade that had to cross a wet area on a hillside, probably tied together thicker timber. Quite a few are bent as are rr spikes that are removed when rails are taken out.

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thank you! And thanks to everyone who replied. It is a neat thing that I will clean up and add to my good iron collection.

The old map shows that a saw mill was right across the road That is my next adventure.

Sponsors