Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1314 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

14KT Gold Maker's Mark

Hey Ya'll, I found this 14KT Ruby & Diamond ring this weekend at the beach, and was wondering if anyone recognized the Maker's Mark? In the last pic, I've drawn what the MM looks like. I posted the ring and my other 'after' Hurricane Irene finds in TODAY'S FINDS. I think you'll find one of the items somewhat strange to be on a beach. Here's the link:
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,421796.0.html

Thanks in advance. I really do appreciate all of you who take your time and effort to help. Breezie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend4-2011.jpg 
Views:	430 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	56779   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend5-2011.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	56780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend6-2011.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	56781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend7-2011.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	56782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend4-2011.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	564453  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend5-2011.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	564454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend6-2011.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	564455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaborDayWeekend7-2011.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	564456  
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

Charter Member
    us
    Getter done

Sep 2007
    Terra Bella, Ca.
    DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
    245 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: 14KT Gold Maker's Mark

AWESOME find, and gorgeous too. If you think you want to sell it look me up. BANNER material.
    Remember 9-1-1 and all the Fallen Firefighters and Police Officers. Never forget the price they paid for our Freedom.

God Bless the men and women past, present, and future who serve this country by serving in the military.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Solider, one died for your soul the other died for your freedom.

What a shame that scientists will call a cell on another planet "life", but they won't acknowledge a fetus as life until it is born.

Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is watching.

What's is the mark to the left of 14kt There should be some intials for a Maker In the United States, gold hallmarks are not always required on finished works of jewelry. But gold trademarks are typically attached to company or crafter trademarked names.
    This means buyers can actually trace the origins of their rings or bracelets directly to their makers through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. In America, gold hallmarks also can serve as a tell tale sign whether a piece of jewelry should be purchased or not.
    The U.S. Federal Trade Commission, for example, recommends that buyers steer clear of piece of gold that have karat marks, but no identifiable trademarks included.
    This is a good rule of thumb for newer purchases, but not necessarily on antique pieces. As some makers never included Makers Marks.(Trademarks)
    I hope yours turns out to be real, but with out a makers mark, it might not be

SS

Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1314 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

FCCDFEd & TexaxT, thank you for the kudos on the ring.

SS, There is not a mark to the left of the 14KT; that is part of the inside of the ring as you can see in the back view pic. The symbol to the right of the 14KT, the one I drew, is the Trademark or Maker's Mark. On my wedding band set as well as on a diamond dinner ring, all are marked 14KT with no other initials, and I know they are they are real.
    I'm trying to figure out what company or maker uses that mark as their identification. The mark looks like a diamond stone with elongated teardrops underneath. I'm taking it to my jeweler tomorrow, and if he confirms it's the real deal, then I'm going to have it appraised, cleaned and polished.

Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Nov 2009
    New York
    T2/F75 SE
    716 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hi Breezie - great find! It's a beauty I haven't been able to find it though. I did find this which might help explain the US jewelry marking "system"-

http://www.everything-wedding-rings....mbol-mean.html

This is definitely a maker's mark - a unique symbol which is used to identify a jeweler's work or a jewelry company's product. Finding out who the maker's mark belongs too though could take quite awhile.

A jeweler's maker's mark does not need to be registered in the United States by law, although most jeweler's register their maker's mark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to ensure that no one else can copy or use their unique symbol.

Because a maker's mark does not need to be legally registered, and because there are tens of thousands of these marks, at this time there is no one book or resource where you can go to look up a maker's mark.

There are extensive books on identifying maker's marks for antique pieces of jewelry, but if your ring was made in the last 20-30 years it can be difficult to locate who made the ring.

You can make a copy of the mark and then visit professional jewelers to see if they are familiar with the mark - even a pawn shop or used jewelery store could possibly provide helpful information on the mark.

You could also try a search with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to see if the mark is registered - but this type of search can take a huge amount of time and may not yield any results.

I wish I could provide more helpful information on the mark - but this is a problem with recent maker's marks. With no comprehensive resource to find a mark (except for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office) it makes it difficult for people to find out the origins and history of their jewelry pieces.

Good luck on your search, and I hope that you can find out more information about the ring.

Suzanne Gardner

Sponsors