Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    us
    Feb 2009
    NC
    Whites XLT
    21 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Ancient Snake Sword Letter Opener.. Age? Composition? Maker? Info Please

Maybe 'Torrini'

http://www.theglobalstore.com/jewell...rrini4388.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times

IronSpike ~

In my opinion, that's too close of a match to just be a coincidence. Meaning ... I think you nailed it with 'Torrini.' (At least in connection with the e-bay letter opener). And since coincidence it not one of my favorite words, I suspect the opener in question may be related as well.

[From Link]

Torrini has always created original design products, branded with a half clover with a spur, an ancient trademark registered in Florence in 1369. This sterling silver detailed creation is a letter-opener with the shape of an ancient sword.
    Length: 7"|18 cm
    Handmade in Florence, Italy.

~ * ~

I bet the opener in question had some marks on it originally, but are worn off now. In any event, I think 'Torrini' and 'Italy' are the best clues thus far, and worth taking a closer look at.

SBB

Feb 2008
    2 times

SBB: For all your accumulated knowledge, I am surprised you don't know what "heraldry" means. It is the coats of arms, or maybe more precisely, the features of a coat of arms. Everybody has one, according to the guy that "researches" you name and finds yours. Like every peasant in England had a coat of arms. Not bloody likely. But I learned something from you today: I did not know that the flor-de-lis had a Florentine version, let alone had stamens. The FDL was pretty common, especially in England but it seemed almost exclusivsely "French" to me. Maybe they surrendered it once to someone. I will have to look for a Florentine Flor-de-lis out there in the world.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times

HPD ~

Actually, I do know what Heraldry means. I was making a little joke, in that it's a word you seldom hear and people who use it are probably not hillbillies at heart like myself. But this doesn't imply that hillbillies are not educated. But rather, among themselves they are more likely to say something like, "Oh, you mean my grandaddy's daddy's daddy?"
    (Lol) ~ Another little joke of mine).

Speaking of Heritage, here's a link to the Torrini line that stretches back to the 1300s. But whether the sword shaped letter opener in question was made by this company or not, still remains to be seen. Perhaps a closer examination of it with a loupe might reveal a faint makers mark..

SBB

Torrini History Link: http://www.torrini1369.com/

And for the hillbillies among us, I recommend they click where it says "English." (Lol).

Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times

HPD ~

Here's a little present for you. It's an authentic 15th/16th century medieval belt buckle from the Balkans. Notice it has the Fleur-de-Lis design, but without the stamens. I wonder what an artifact like this is worth?

SBB

Balkans Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkans

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Belt Buckle Medieval France 1500-1600s with Fleur-de-Lis.jpg 
Views:	1348 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	583907  

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    89 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

That's cool!!

I wonder if it is significant that it has both a frog and a fleur de lis, or if it is meant to be intermingled, or what. Sure is an interesting piece.

Beth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnakeHeadSword1122.JPG 
Views:	1318 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	583908  
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB
    franking ~

I found these "possible letter openers." The one in the center appears to be very similar, if not identical to yours. Unfortunately there were no detailed descriptions with them, other than this which is copy/pasted ...

SBB
    Yes SSB - the sword in the middle looks "almost" identicle, perhaps mine has worn so much as to make slight differences in a few of the design works. Thanks for posting these great letter openers and for the info and time you have provided. happpy hunting!

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Whites Matrix M6, Gold Mnt King Cobra, Discovery 2000, BH Lonestar, Coinmaster 4000/D, Automax Precision V4 Pinpointer
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco
    Neat find.

I see part of the problem with identifying it. I see a frog at the tip, and a fleur de lis.

I also think it is definitely a letter opener, cast brass, maybe, and probably from around 1930-1945 (a big time for all sorts of letter openers, especially the dagger form).

Beth

Hi Beth - I am in agreement with the Fleur-de-Lis design. I aslo see the frog and I see the snake - I hope others see these things as well. Or are we just seeing things... lol The snake to me is more prominent on this piece, where other items in some of the posts look more froggy.

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by IronSpike
    Hi IronSpike - great find and post - I am researching the possible Italian origination / design.

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Havilah_Springs
    Hey franking;

What did it look like when it came out of the ground? What does the rest of it look like? How long, and wide is it?

H_S
    Hi H_S - I can remember the late time of day it was under the large pines - it was nearing dusk and visibilty was minimal. Once home I took to cleaning it. I wished I had taken a picture when it was fresh out of the ground. It looked tarnished, but not green or bluish.. It does seem to look like it contains brass. ( and some other metal )
    Thanks for posting.. happy hunting out west!

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Ramitt
    Cool find.
    Thanks Ramitt - I have gotta get back out there and do some more digging in that area.

Happy hunting

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by TypicalClinger
    At least from the pic it looks a little too blunt to be a letter opener. Looks almost like a gaming piece. like maybe D&D or something like that. Just a guess. Cool though.
    Nice observation TypicalClinger -

Some gaming pieces do have that ancient or medieval look to them. I do not own any such objects but have seen a few pictures online of fantasy swords and such.
    This artifact is actually very old or very very worn or both. The history of this mansion I found it at has a rich victorian background. It was even a convent for nuns at one time long ago.
    Thanks for posting.. Happy Hunting!

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by 2Minnesota
    Have it tested for gold content? Good luck!
    Hi 2Minnesota - thanks for posting and encouragement to get it tested for gold content.
    I have not done so yet but it is on my list of things to do soon..
    Darn procrastination!
    Happy Hunting...

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle
    I'm still looking for the snake on it. ha! As far as sandpaper and cleaning goes, put your sandpaper away, FAR AWAY. Really! Soap and water and old t-shirts to clean and dry. Maybe a soft toothbrush to clean grooves, but only if it is really soft. Do no damage.

It really doesn't appear to be sharp enough to be a letter opener to me, but I don't know what else it could be unless it's a game piece (?) or a what-not. Pretty, though.
    Hiyas Noodle , The handle is the snakes coil wrapping around the handle to the snakes head. The pommel is the snakes head. Two eyes and a kind of snout for a nose being the pommel top.
    Can you see it?

Happy Hunting...

us
    Nov 2011
    Western Mass
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by High Plains Digger
    My first impression was that it was either made to look old, or that the workmanship was really bad. Still thinking about other aspects of it.
    Hello High Plains Digger, I once thought the same as you but only briefly as I realized the pitting and wear was real.. In addtion to it being made of one solid piece and not cast from two pieces as some of the markings and dents almost present themselves as such. It kind of throws you off at first as far as the age or authenticty goes.
    thanks for posting... happy hunting!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors