Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    us
    Dec 2008
    Ohio
    779 times

Re: 1850's era Silver Opium spoon ?

Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    Quote Originally Posted by taz42o
    The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
    Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.
    Makes sense Taz.One would just think with the thousands of Chinese which it seems all partook in the opium,given the hundreds of Opium Tins,a few would be "priveledged"?
    What types of sites do you find the tins at, are they Chinese worker camps or larger towns ?

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2644 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by kuger
    The leaves are not right to be poppies, melons maybe.
    Because of the small size bowl I think you have a tea caddy spoon.

Kuger, My guess as to why so few opium tools are found would be that the extra tools were mostly used by wealthy people and growers. Poor people only need opium and a pipe to get high. Common items can be used for tools if need be.
    Makes sense Taz.One would just think with the thousands of Chinese which it seems all partook in the opium,given the hundreds of Opium Tins,a few would be "priveledged"?
    What types of sites do you find the tins at, are they Chinese worker camps or larger towns ?
    miners
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Jul 2007
    11 times

Hi Relichunter1, this is Carolyn who came by to pick up the weight the other day. I spotted a similar scraper thingy on a French website in a photo of opium tools. Here's the link:
    http://www.antiquites-delalande.fr/o...um-divers.html

Your is much fancier though & really nice! Whoever owned it must have been wealthier than most of the opium users back then. It's more like something you would see in early San Francisco.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    821 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cruisin
    Hi Relichunter1, this is Carolyn who came by to pick up the weight the other day. I spotted a similar scraper thingy on a French website in a photo of opium tools. Here's the link:
    http://www.antiquites-delalande.fr/o...um-divers.html

Your is much fancier though & really nice! Whoever owned it must have been wealthier than most of the opium users back then. It's more like something you would see in early San Francisco.
    Holy Smokes! (pun intended) Nice work! Based on that I found a pic of a similar item on a chain! You can see it right in the middle of the pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arts-asie/4290397016/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opiumtools.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	589408

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2644 times
    Banner Finds (1)

ah,hah,now we are "cookin",I have dug Chinese lock keys with remnants of chain,so I thought it was logical to have "tools",on them as well.
    I wouldnt underestimate the "quality",of the personal items these guys possessed,I have dug very ornate silvered pipe saddles,and high quality opium "box's",as well
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    821 times

Here is another.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    821 times

OK. I'm convinced. 19th century opium damper scrapping tool.

Wow...

DCMatt
    by the author.

us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    16 times

Wow !!! Thank you Carolyn for solving this puzzle, I had a gut feeling thats what it was just took a little time. I have read on line that these items are rare so its no wonder none of us knew what it was. DCMatt thanks for looking into it also, I knew that this forum had some sleuths and thought I'd give it a try. Well I am excited as heck about this find..thank you all for helping me out. Cruisin, nice to know your on forum, and thanks for supporting the shop.

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1279 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)

I had no idea the spoon was this small until you posted the pic of the dime with it. After seeing that, and the loop at the end, I agree 100% it is an opium spoon. . . . And we thought all those Victorian "ladies" were wearing chatelaines were for looks! Nice find, Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    16 times

Quote Originally Posted by Breezie
    I had no idea the spoon was this small until you posted the pic of the dime with it. After seeing that, and the loop at the end, I agree 100% it is an opium spoon. . . . And we thought all those Victorian "ladies" were wearing chatelaines were for looks! Nice find, Breezie

Yes I just wonder if it was not only a fashion statement but served some function for those ladies . . Next time I post a picture I will remember to set a coin next to the item found as it will be easier to determine size. Thanks for responding Breezie. H.H. to you all R.H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors