Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

DC
    us
    Carolina Don

Jun 2005
    South Carolina
    Minelab Quattro, Whites XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Golden Sabre II
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Tax Paid Tag

I found this tag in Rock Hill, SC saturday. It is made of thin brass and is imprinted with 1914, tax paid #23. It was bent up when I found it and trying to straighten it it broke into two pieces. I placed shipping tape on both sides which causes a slight glare. There is nothing on the back side of the tag. The tag is about 1&1/2 inch from side to side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    DC-N-SC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tax_tag_002.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	595529  
    When you have been beaten to your knees, you always have the option to look up!
    Donnie Catoe

ca
    Feb 2011
    Edgewood, B.C.
    excal2, XP Deus
    42 times

Re: Tax Paid Tag

Hard to see the picture..... but I would guess that it might be a dog tag.

I have several that are written with the year and then 'dog tax'
    "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in".

DC
    us
    Carolina Don

Jun 2005
    South Carolina
    Minelab Quattro, Whites XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Golden Sabre II
    3 times

It is hard to believe that a tax was charged to own a dog. A fellow hunter told me he thought it was a tag that you attached to the front of your house that told the fire dept you had paid your taxes and thus it was ok to fight the fire.
    When you have been beaten to your knees, you always have the option to look up!
    Donnie Catoe

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3184 times

I'd agree with dog tax tag, you can google image search them and find a lot of different examples.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    132 times
    Banner Finds (1)

It's no longer called a tax, but many towns or cities require a dog to be licensed. The proceeds usually go to pay for the animal shelter or pound. If it is made of lead I am more likely to think it was a tax paid stamp on an product such as tobacco or alcohol. Just a guess on my part. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    65 times

Based on what I've seen, my guess is that it is not "Dog" related because about 99% of the dog tax tags I've looked at have the word "Dog" on them somewhere. Whereas the one in question does not.

SBB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ca
    Feb 2011
    Edgewood, B.C.
    excal2, XP Deus
    42 times

Here are a few of my may dog tags... In later years, they called them dog 'licenses' [another fancy word for tax]

But the very first one.. has the years 1878 9.. This indicated that the 'tax' was paid for 1878-1879.. On the reverse it has V.C. 250.

I checked with the archives of Victoria and they told me that this was, indeed, a dog license. It was just that everybody , at that time, knew what it was.

These days there are SO many taxes, it is hard to keep track of them...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog-tags39.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	595664  
    "Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most; That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in".

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links