Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    189 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Something off farm equipment? (Solved Clevis Hitch Plow Part)

A friend found this out in the pasture and wondered what it was? Is is something off a piece of farm equipment? or a guide for something? Thanks for any help!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5461 (700x378).jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	601541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5462 (700x351).jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	601542   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5464 (664x700).jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	601543   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5463 (700x370).jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	601544  
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    Jan 2007
    Infinium and Sovereign GT
    1563 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Something off farm equipment?

It is a type of clevis hitch off of a piece of equipment. I will see if I can find the name of it in a bit.

Update: Don't have the proper name for it yet, but it would be No. 226-2 in the photo below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clevi[url=http://forum.treasurenet.com/words]--deleted--[/url]ches1.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	601547  
    "Wherever I go .. That's where I'll be!"

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    189 times

Quote Originally Posted by creskol
    It is a type of clevis hitch off of a piece of equipment. I will see if I can find the name of it in a bit.
    Okay, thanks creskol . I thought maybe some kind of guide or even a step off a tractor.
    If you find the name, please let me know and I'll tell my friend.
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    189 times

Quote Originally Posted by creskol

Update: Don't have the proper name for it yet, but it would be No. 226-2 in the photo below.
    That's it . Thank you so much!!

us
    Dec 2010
    540 times

It is a clevis hitch.

Possibly from horse drawn equipment? Early tractor?

FWIW, I think the series of holes allows you to adjust how you want your equipment to pull behind the tractor or horse. Set it to one side, and the equipment will want to track behind the tractor to the far left side. Set it on the opposite side, the equipment will track to the far right side....if that makes any sense.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    189 times

Quote Originally Posted by clovis97
    It is a clevis hitch.

Possibly from horse drawn equipment? Early tractor?

FWIW, I think the series of holes allows you to adjust how you want your equipment to pull behind the tractor or horse. Set it to one side, and the equipment will want to track behind the tractor to the far left side. Set it on the opposite side, the equipment will track to the far right side....if that makes any sense.
    That does make sense, clovis and thank you for explaining it for me. I have found different pieces of these things around 2 or 3 different old homesteads and often wondered what there were, but when my friend found one, too, I just finally had to ask.

us
    Dec 2010
    540 times

My guess is that the part came off of a horse drawn plow.

If you ever have an antique tractor show in your town, take that part with you. One of the old timers will know for sure!

If you look at the holes, the 4th or 5th hole from the right is wallowed (pronounced 'wallered' around here) out some, so you know it had some heavy use at one time.

ca
    Sep 2008
    Grande Prairie, AB
    MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
    103 times

Here's an example of how it was used. You'll notice that there were vertical adjustment holes that it attached to. This was to adjust the height to the horsess harness pole or tree (I don't know the proper terms here) so that it was easier to control the depth with the handles. Too high and it would tend to dig down to china, too low and it would tend to want to skip to the surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walking Plow.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	603971

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    189 times

Quote Originally Posted by GpSnoopy
    Here's an example of how it was used. You'll notice that there were vertical adjustment holes that it attached to. This was to adjust the height to the horsess harness pole or tree (I don't know the proper terms here) so that it was easier to control the depth with the handles. Too high and it would tend to dig down to china, too low and it would tend to want to skip to the surface.

That picture really helped me understand, GpSnoopy---Thank you! I have found different types of these things at old homesites and just couldn't visualize what they might have been used for.
    Thanks to you and Clovis97, now I know!

us
    Dec 2010
    540 times

Re: Something off farm equipment? (Solved Clevis Hitch Plow Part)

That is a great plow pic!!!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors