Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    May 2008
    Somewhere in CT
    Minelab E-Trac
    7 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Farm Fresh - Interesting and Mystery Button.... HELP !! :-) (Solved)

Hello all!

Been hunting a farm field and lots of button were a popping out of the ground... but I have one that looks interesting and need some ID help...

Thank you in Advance!
    Paul
    Last edited by FooserPaul; Mar 24, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

us
    Dec 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Tosoro Bandido
    325 times
    Metal Detecting
    Can you tell us what the writing around the edge says.

us
    Jan 2009
    Shenandoah Valley Virginia
    Whites 6000, Discovery 2-box, AT Pro, ARC Geo-mini Logger
    79 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Might be a livery button - I can make out the Phoenix rising with cross above the head - JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES. (I Will Rise of My Ashes)

Stack's : (ca. 1832-33) Oregon Territory Phoenix button. Brass. Rulau-E Ore 5 var. Very Fine. (1542692810)

Metal buttons bearing the Phoenix bird, the motto "Je Renais De Mes Cendres" which roughly translates to "I rise from my own ashes". A number have been found in quantity in historic sites along the lower Columbia River, and less commonly throughout western North America. Phoenix buttons were not made for Napoleon, as often claimed, but were manufactured by an English firm in the early 1800's for King Christophe of Haiti. The Phoenix bird and the motto come from his coat of arms; the numbers refer to regiments. These military uniform buttons were brought to the Northwest before 1835 by an independent trader, most likely Nathaniel Wyeth, who probably used uniform coats, which he may have obtained earlier when shipping ice to the West Indies, to trade for fish for his salmon packing plant on the Columbia River.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by deepsecrets; Mar 24, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
    “Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man.”

us
    May 2008
    Somewhere in CT
    Minelab E-Trac
    7 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by deepsecrets View Post
    Might be a livery button - I can make out the Phoenix rising with cross above the head - JE RENAIS DE MES CENDRES. (I Will Rise of My Ashes)

Stack's : (ca. 1832-33) Oregon Territory Phoenix button. Brass. Rulau-E Ore 5 var. Very Fine. (1542692810)

Metal buttons bearing the Phoenix bird, the motto "Je Renais De Mes Cendres" which roughly translates to "I rise from my own ashes". A number have been found in quantity in historic sites along the lower Columbia River, and less commonly throughout western North America. Phoenix buttons were not made for Napoleon, as often claimed, but were manufactured by an English firm in the early 1800's for King Christophe of Haiti. The Phoenix bird and the motto come from his coat of arms; the numbers refer to regiments. These military uniform buttons were brought to the Northwest before 1835 by an independent trader, most likely Nathaniel Wyeth, who probably used uniform coats, which he may have obtained earlier when shipping ice to the West Indies, to trade for fish for his salmon packing plant on the Columbia River.
    DeepSecrets... You are daMAN !! Thank you for the good eye and quick id... I think you nailed it good !!!

Paul
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    343 times
    Yep, deepsecrets did a great job on that one!!!!!!! Tennessee digger

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1819 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    yup, deep secrets got it. Good job. Here's another T'net post on the subject. About a page or two into it, I wrote a bunch on the phoenix button. So you can read it here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...tton-city.html

And if you want to email me your pix, I would like to forward it to a fellow I know who is writing a book on the subject of phoenix buttons. He's keeping track of their distribution (of where found) in the USA, so as to perhaps shed light on the mystery of their circulation, entry into trade, etc... My email is ttanner777@aol.com
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors