Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help ID Pistol Please.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times

Help ID Pistol Please.

Hey guys,
    Dug this pistol at the last DIV, mixed in with a bunch of Gardners, Ringtails, and Teardrops. (And a few Confederate buttons although not dug by me but I did get to watch my old man dig a nice little VA cuff) I tried like hell to find the barrel with no luck...I cannot seem to find a match for this anywhere. Checked all the books I have (admittedly not as many on guns as I should have in my arsenal I suppose) Also searched online to no avail...
    I really like this piece a ton and would love to figure out what it is. Figured there's no one better at the gift of ID'ing things on the internet than y'all here!
    Thanks a lot for your help!!

-JP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-11_21-14-33_313 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	625782

Name:	2012-04-11_21-14-01_882 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	625783

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    You might have to be a little more abstract than you think. I think what you have there is the bottom "trigger" group portion of something, and the actual profile of the original firearm would be much different.
    It may be something that was dropped later at the location. It looks like the trigger guard is a separate piece from the frontstrap.. odd.
    Chisos likes this.

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Everyone is as stumped as me, huh? Lol
    Diggit likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1312 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    It looks like a toy pistol; perhaps an antique cast iron water 'bulb' pistol. Actually it's hard to tell from the photos. How many inches long is it? Nice find, Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...............The frame looks awfull narrow, and long too. Ok! I'll be honest, Not a clue

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

Apr 2012
    Ok not sure but I don't think it is a pistol. Maybe the trigger housing for a black powder rifle. Maybe a flint lock. I would try and have someone familiar with old flintlock look at it. I think it is a trigger housing of some sort.

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie View Post
    It looks like a toy pistol; perhaps an antique cast iron water 'bulb' pistol. Actually it's hard to tell from the photos. How many inches long is it? Nice find, Breezie
    Thanks Breezie!
    It is roughly 6 inches long... It could very well be I suppose. We all have found things in camps that shouldn't be there! Lol. I think it to be period however. Do you have any pictures of the Bulb guns that I could compare to? Here's a picture hopefully it works from my phone. You can see where it would have had grips of some type and also you can see where the trigger sear comes up into the frame... I have never taken apart a Flint lock but I do own some percussion revolvers and the trigger guard/frame is similar in the factof how the sear comes up the middle... Anyhow, thanks for the input. Here's some pics hopefully.

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SoMdRelicHunter View Post
    Thanks Breezie!
    It is roughly 6 inches long... It could very well be I suppose. We all have found things in camps that shouldn't be there! Lol. I think it to be period however. Do you have any pictures of the Bulb guns that I could compare to? Here's a picture hopefully it works from my phone. You can see where it would have had grips of some type and also you can see where the trigger sear comes up into the frame... I have never taken apart a Flint lock but I do own some percussion revolvers and the trigger guard/frame is similar in the factof how the sear comes up the middle... Anyhow, thanks for the input. Here's some pics hopefully.

Pics!!

Name:	13342868062770.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	625974

Name:	13342871691414.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	625976

Name:	13342871258472.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	625977

Name:	13342871892115.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	625978

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner61 View Post
    Hmmmmmmmmmm...............The frame looks awfull narrow, and long too. Ok! I'll be honest, Not a clue
    That makes two of us!! lol

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pops9653 View Post
    Ok not sure but I don't think it is a pistol. Maybe the trigger housing for a black powder rifle. Maybe a flint lock. I would try and have someone familiar with old flintlock look at it. I think it is a trigger housing of some sort.

I thought of that as well... Still think this is a good possibility but I can't find one with an assembly like this... The pistol grip lends credence to this being a boot pistol over part of a rifle as well... I am not discounting this theory however... Still looking. Thanks for the input!

Dec 2006
    107 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pops9653 View Post
    May be a trigger housing but not from a flintlock. They generally had just a trigger pinned through a small plate, or often just the wood itself. If it is a trrigger housing I would say it is much newer, maybe from the cartridge era.

Dec 2007
    Culdesac, Idaho
    61 times
    Could be some type of boot pistol. Those were usually single shot and very narrow.

Apr 2012
    I agree with breezie, I saw a toy gun on the History channel today and I saw this pic earlier today and it looked just like it. The very first cap guns were made of metal and were identical of the real ones.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    I don't know pistols, but I do like looking for pictues of them. Below are two pistols that look similar to the one in question. (These are just examples. There are jillions of varieties).

1. Civil War era Boot Pistol. (Like Allen mentioned).

2. Revolutionary period Pistol. (I like the way the handle is angled).

3. SMRH's rusted relic.

SBB

Name:  Pistol- - Boot - Civil War.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  Pistol Revolutionary.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  What Is It Pistol Rusted Civil War Era.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  12.5 KB
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Sep 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Minelab Explorer
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bdabney29 View Post
    I agree with breezie, I saw a toy gun on the History channel today and I saw this pic earlier today and it looked just like it. The very first cap guns were made of metal and were identical of the real ones.
    It may very well be. I just want to figure out what it is... Do you remember the show or maybe what they called the gun so i can mark this one solved?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors