Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Looks like a 3 part mold but I cant see the seam. Body & Mold Seams

In the 3rd picture, does the seam (red arrow)go all the way to the very top?
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 24, 2012 at 05:51 PM.

us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    480 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    Dont forget, if the mould seams fades before reaching the top, this bottle is 1890's. Im sure you are aware of this method of dating, timekiller.

How old is Southern Comfort? Could it be?
    Absolutely not true,many bottles date after 1900's with seems that do not go to the top.I've dug many that are as old as 1905 that the seems don't go to the top.I'm going to post one in this post to show.
    Also now that tnet has changed to the new layout & has no my reply place to see whats going on It's hard for me to keep up with these post like this.

But can see that many replies have been changed so I'm not going to get back in this to much.Other than to show you it does not have to be 1890's on the seems.I picked this bottle I found for you BCH,cause the bottom is marked with your letters just mixed a little.

To the poster got your PM & your welcome & don't let what I said about your bottle discourage you in bottle digging it's just that way sometimes even in MDing not all days are good ones.If you stay with it long enough your learn where to look & dig & Id your own bottles before it's over with.Your know what's worth keeping & what's common.
    Take Care,
    Best to ya,
    Pete,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	107.7 KB 
ID:	629752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F68AF5A1C7BD4119917EF955C5D26DD9[1].jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	629750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	629751  
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    480 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    One other thing to add not all things in books are right,I see it so many times people saying because a book says this that it's right.Don't agree with that either.Hands on & time will prove the general book wrong quite often.
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timekiller View Post
    Absolutely not true,many bottles date after 1900's with seems that do not go to the top.I've dug many that are as old as 1905 that the seems don't go to the top.I'm going to post one in this post to show.
    Also now that tnet has changed to the new layout & has no my reply place to see whats going on It's hard for me to keep up with these post like this.

Pete,
    Geez timekiller. I think you are nitpicking. The seam that doesnt go to the top is hand blown in a mold. The seam that goes all the way to the top and around is ABM (automatic bottle machine). The standard use date is TOC or about 1900-1905. Its very possible that some small glass manufacturers will not have converted to ABM and continued to blow glass by hand. Its commonly accepted that all glass manufacturers would be automated by 1915. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule as some companies in Mexico still blow glass the old fashioned way.

I feel that you are missing the point timekiller my friend. It appears you are on some kind of a rude mission to belittle me because I know you are smart enough to realize you cannot put an exact date on all ABM factory conversions.. Im sure if you take my comments out of context and look hard enough you will find some errors. The point is my ID is correct as it stands. Its a trade name "Delaware Brandy" that could have contained Brandy or Whiskey and the dateline is just as I said. Do you disagree with the ID or are you going to continue nitpicking?

Where is SBB when we need him? Look timekiller my friend. I am very good with 20th century items. You are very good with Colonial. I would never attempt to nitpick on one of your colonial IDs.

I know you dig a lot of Colonial Iron. We really need your help on another thread, not here. There was a poster that said pure iron does not rust and I would like to hear your opinion.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 25, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Maybe I can help you with your confusion. Whats the date on the bottle Pete? I cant see it.

Another thought, because of the new formatt, do you want me to check with you first before I make my next ID?

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter
    Dont forget, if the mould seams fades before reaching the top, this bottle is 1890's. Im sure you are aware of this method of dating, timekiller

Quote Originally Posted by timekiller View Post

But can see that many replies have been changed so I'm not going to get back in this to much.Other than to show you it does not have to be 1890's on the seems.I picked this bottle I found for you BCH,cause the bottom is marked with your letters just mixed a little.

To the poster got your PM & your welcome & don't let what I said about your bottle discourage you in bottle digging it's just that way sometimes even in MDing not all days are good ones.If you stay with it long enough your learn where to look & dig & Id your own bottles before it's over with.Your know what's worth keeping & what's common.
    Take Care,
    Best to ya,
    Pete,
    One more note. You are taking my words out of context and twisting the meaning. What I mean is that this bottle may date back to the 1890's with the correct seam and this seems now to be very likely with the 3 part mold. Also read carefully the 2 above posts. The possibility exists that this bottle is 1890's. My ID stands correct, no matter what you say, at 1890-1919, it can easily be a 100 year old bottle or older and it cannot possibly be manufactured on the prohibition dateline that you are stating, unless the bottle was refilled illegally. You can bang your head all you want, it wont change my ID.

Your welcome skite for the nice PM.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: grammer corrections and trying to portray my thoughts in words

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    I didn't read every reply, but if I can see clearly focused (close up) pictures of ...

1. The closure (lip).

2. The underside bottom of the base.

3. The upper portion of the side mold seam.

I should be able to tell you approximately when it was made.

Thanks.

SBB

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS ~

If I am seeing the pictures correctly of the correct bottle - and it is sun-colored amethyst, then I can just about assure you it was made prior to 1915/1920. Manganese is what causes the coloring, and manganese was (for the most part) discontinued in bottle making around 1915-17.

Manganese Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese

SBB
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:59 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    PS ~

If I am seeing the pictures correctly of the correct bottle - and it is sun-colored amethist, then I can just about assure you it was made prior to 1915/1920. Manganese is what causes the coloring, and manganese was (for the most part) discontinued in bottle making around 1915-17.

Manganese Link: Manganese - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SBB
    Thanks for taking look. I have the dateline at 1890-1919. Prohibition was 1920. It appears to be a 3 part mould. I call it a "100 year old bottle" and I dont think my statement is out of line. To me its a simple ID but Im getting tired of typing lol and Im about ready to start beating my head. I dont know if its manganese glass. I cant tell. Its been under the porch.

I posted a manganese bottle to show the similarities.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Apr 25, 2012 at 04:07 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    How old are 3 part moulds?

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skite View Post
    I'm posting new images as requested showing close ups of the bottle. Thanks!Attachment 629543Attachment 629544Attachment 629545

These pictures definitely look SCA to me. If so ... Pre WWI

Skite ~

Please compare your bottle to this simple check-list and it should tell you a lot more about it. Based on what I can ascertain so far, it appears to be a "teens" whiskey bottle and (in mint condition) worth maybe $10.00. Without identifying embossing to tell us who used it, most collectors would not be too interested in it except maybe as a window show piece.

But still a nice find and a keeper.

SBB

Check List: How to Identify Antique Bottles | eHow.com
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; Apr 25, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    What is SCA?

My 100 year old estimate was just a rough guess and was never meant to be taken literally that the bottle is exactly 100 years old. I think it may even be older. We cant see the top seam. MadeiraWineGuide: 41About Old Bottles Archives

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    What is SCA?

SCA = Sun Colored Amethyst ... Which is an abbreviated collectors term.

SBB
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; Apr 25, 2012 at 04:56 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    I think we all now agree with the latest date but what about the earliest possible date? I have it at APPROXIMATELY 1890.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    SCA = Sun Colered Amethyst ... Which is an abbreviated collectors term.

SBB
    Yes it does kinda look purple. It was under the porch out of the sun. We need an oldest possible date.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors