Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: found this what is it

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    posted more pics of other items i found where i found the drift any ideas?/

Those are a little more tough, not sure if electroloysis will help, but I can't make them out well...
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    allright thanks for the input.... Jeff

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    Im not going to attemt to clean them only beacause i think they are old and possibly i would ruin them do you think they tie into the drift i found? all this other stuff i found was in the exact place and spot i found the drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Im not going to attemt to clean them only beacause i think they are old and possibly i would ruin them do you think they tie into the drift i found? all this other stuff i found was in the exact place and spot i found the drift?
    They could be associated, but you are not going to ruin the crown jewels. These are safe to mess with.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    allright thanks for the opinions jeff

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    When you get a car take them to a university or museum
    to have them checked out. Good luck.
    ALLEN

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    Yea i know that, i just wanted to see if any one had any opinions on the new pieces i found at the same sight, any ideas, if they thought these were old blacksmiths slag if they thought these things were tied in with the drift i found. or if any one could i.d my new pieces, thanks for the info Jeff

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Jeff, the first thing I would do is have it checked to see if it is a meteorite by checking for nickel. If it has nickel, it is a meteorite! It seems to have flow lines on it as if it came down with the hole side towards earth. If so the back I'll bet has no holes at all. If it is a meteorite. It may be very rare because of it's shape. From there the mystery will only get larger. But that is the fun of treasure hinting, a mystery item! It could have been, what ever it is, droped into a cannon and fired during the civil war. What ever you find out please keep us posted! jimb
    I know I made a deal but I just had to concede this is truly genious. I agree the meteorite was carved into this shape by falling through the atmosphere. You can see the flow lines. It gets hotter at the tip just like the space shuttle so consequently these meteorites were burned into a point and became wedge shaped. Yes the back side isnt even melted. You may be surprised as they are not as rare as you would think.

Correct you are jimb and here is were the story gets better. During the last days of the Civil War, when iron balls were in short supply, the Confederates gathered up these wedge shaped meteorites and fired them at the Yankee trench lines during the seige of Torrington. It was well documented but trying to find historical records in Conn. may be tough... The Yankees, with nothing better to do and only a few bumps and bruises, carved these shiny wedges into odd animal shapes and tossed them back at the Confederates. It was quite demorallizing to the Rebs, as you can imagine!!

Several weeks later, the Rebels surrendered in humiliation and all unfired "wedgies", as the Yanks called them, were ordered buried by the commanding officers. Many metal animal shapes were left scattered on the battlefield. Wolves, Coyotes, Squrrels and even a carved Platypus was found in 1969 by a Connecticut Rutabaga farmer.. I believe this was the beginning of Trench Art. Look it up, its interesting stuff and the fun of treasure hunting..
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 06, 2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: forget how to spel rutabaga
    smcdmc likes this.

Feb 2008
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Attachment 633262Attachment 633263Attachment 633264thanks for the info heres more pics from other things i found, one looks like a point the end of a knive or something, the other pic with the two items in it look like very old nails, the other thing i have no clue, what do you think let me know thanks jeff
    The long squaired off piece looks to me like it was pored into the ground to cool. Sure sounds like iron.

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    Allright i will, i dont know if your pulling my leg or anything, or if that is what you believe but i will look into some of that..the new items i posted do you think they tie into the drift i found or are you saying you believe it is a meteorite?

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    are you being seriouse? sounds a little made up to me?

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    I dont think they shot iron meteorites out of their canyons during the cival war? i think what jimb was saying was that it could be an iron meteor projectil, or something that was shot out of a canyon during the cival war, or anything.Im still going with the drift theory i put more pics of other stuff i found at the sight only beacause some people told me to go back and see if i could find anything else where i found the drift at. i wanted to see if anyone had any ideas about the other things i found, like if they tie into the drift theory e.c.t, if you do let me know thanks jeff

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    75 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Badly decomposed or hand shaped what's left of the old style window weight. No idea what it was used for. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Apr 2012
    Torrington
    2 times
    is this from a black smith or a factory?The long squaired off piece looks to me like it was pored into the ground to cool. ?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links