Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rex

Apr 2012
    43 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What could this be?

I found this metal detecting. It appears to be made of copper, says Pat. July 20 1886 on the side and is about an inch and a half high. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 025 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	630110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 032 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	630111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 035 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	630112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of 034 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	630113

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1754 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Base of cane?

Ism
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    146 times
    WAG...Cap for a pressure cooker?
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

us
    Ledford

Apr 2011
    Virginia
    Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
    2 times
    I may be completely off.. But im thinking Bullet Mold

us
    chuck

Feb 2007
    spacecoast florida
    fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
    274 times
    candle snuffer?
    you dont know what you dont know, and you dont know what you dont dig!!!!!!!!

us
    Ledford

Apr 2011
    Virginia
    Garrett AT Pro , Garrett Pro Pointer , Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker41 View Post
    candle snuffer?
    wouldnt think a candle snuffer would have a stamped in date

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    Patent dates are usually easy to work with. I say usually, but not in this case because on July 20, 1886 there were approximately 500 U.S. patents issued. I scrolled through a lot of them but got burned out on about the hundreth one. Here's the link for Google Patents for anyone who has the time. Just enter the date and have at it. The only bummer is, you have to click on each one to open it, which takes a ton of time.

Link: Google

However, I did find the patent shown here of an umbrella. But instead of a U.S. patent, the July 20, 1886 date is when this same patent was filed in France. I'm thinking maybe the item in question is the tip to one of these umbrellas. Anyway, that's the best I could come up with and suggest that someone take a look at the 400 other patents for that date that I didn't look at. But then again, maybe it is an umbrella tip.

Good luck.

SBB

French Patent No. 177,505 ~ July 20, 1886

U.S. Patent No. 368,920 ~ ~ August 23, 1887

(Click on image to enlarge)

Name:	Umbrella Patent 001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	630296
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 01, 2012 at 09:56 AM.

rex

Apr 2012
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    Patents dates are usually easy to work with. I say usually, but not in this case because on July 20, 1886 there were approximately 500 U.S. patents issued. I scrolled through a lot of them but got burned out on about the hundreth one. Here's the link for Google Patents for anyone who has the time. Just enter the date and have at it. The only bummer is, you have to click on each one to open it, which takes a ton of time.

Link: Google

However, I did find the patent shown here of an umbrella. But instead of a U.S. patent, the July 20, 1886 date is when this same patent was filed in France. I'm thinking maybe the item in question is the tip to one of these umbrellas. Anyway, that's the best I could come up with and suggest that someone take a look at the 400 other patents for that date that I didn't look at. But then again, maybe it is an umbrella tip.

Good luck.

SBB

French Patent No. 177,505 ~ July 20, 1886

U.S. Patent No. 368,920 ~ ~ August 23, 1887

(Click on image to enlarge)

Name:	Umbrella Patent 001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	583.7 KB 
ID:	630296
    if you look closely at the inside of the object you can see three grooves. there is four sets of three grooves spaced equally around the inside edge. obviously i can see it better. however that makes me think it was pressed on to something hard enough to mark it. thanks for the input, I'll keep searching.

us
    Historian

Jul 2003
    Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
    White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    I found this metal detecting. It appears to be made of copper, says Pat. July 20 1886 on the side and is about an inch and a half high. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Name:	Copy of 025 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	630110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 032 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	630111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of 035 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	630112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Copy of 034 Standard e-mail view.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	630113

Sure does look like the tip of an umbrella though!!

us
    Sep 2006
    Vermont
    Garrett Ace 350
    10 times
    Part of a clock?

From website below...

"A typical Sidney Advertising Clock
    as shown in the
    photos above was between 5.5-6’ tall, nearly 20” in the trunk and 28” in the
    base. Most models had a calendar movement showing the date on a third hand.

The heavy-duty eight-day brass. spring-driven movements were
    made primarily by Seth Thomas in CT and marked “Pat July 20, 1886”. Some
    New Haven
    movements and possibly some from the Sessions Clock
    Company were also used."

Sidney Advertising Clock Company History - Antique Clocks Guy: Antique Clocks and Mechanical Musical Instruments. We bring collectors and buyers together. Always the highest quality antique clocks available.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I knew this would be a tough one so I took it upon myself to search all 400-500 patents. The clock is just one of many. I found some very interesting patents including a patented stopper and our common Safety Pin that was patented on this very day.

I could find nothing that matches this shape.. The problem is that this is probably a cap from something much larger. The patent probably has nothing at all to do with this item so it makes it hard..

I also believe its an American patent and not French. French patents would say Brevette, Bté. SGDG, Depose or DEP. http://reviews.ebay.com/Depose-and-D...00000002158707 Umbrella is a good guess but I could find no American umbrella patent on this day.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 01, 2012 at 01:16 AM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Like I said I searched all 400 but I couldnt search every component of large machinery. But I looked at each and every American patent on this date July 20, 1886 and here is my best guess but its only a guess. I think its a dust cap from a patented Walworth radiator air valve. These are removed to make adjustments and are easily lost.

Here is a modern cap from my air compressor valve. The size is the same at about 1-1/2 inch. Attachment 631419

Here is a Walworth book. Attachment 631421

Here is a Walworth radiator air valve and the 2nd pic shows how the cap (red)would fit over the adjustment stem to protect it.
    Attachment 631422Attachment 631423

Here is the Walworth patented air valve. The cap is removed in the image. I marked in red how the cap would fit over.

Attachment 631424Attachment 631425

I searched all 360 or so patents that fit the criteria of being issued on July 20, 1886 and this was the best I could come up with. The cap is not unique enough to be patented on its own and it matches nothing else so I believe its connected to the patented item and an air valve is my best guess. But its just a guess ..
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 01, 2012 at 01:24 AM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    It also looks like some kind of lamp part but I couldnt find it. Not too exciting or definitive but thats the best I got.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    BTW I searched "patented July 20 1886" under Googgle patent search and it cut it down to about 360 patents I think. Its a tough ID.

I even searched thimble, umbrella, lamp, bottle stopper and anything else I could think of.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 01, 2012 at 01:41 AM.

rex

Apr 2012
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    BTW I searched "patented July 20 1886" under Googgle patent search and it cut it down to about 360 patents I think. Its a tough ID.

I even searched thimble, umbrella, lamp, bottle stopper and anything else I could think of.
    thanks for the heip researching you got farther than i did. one more thing about object. the inside is rough and scaly while the outside is very smooth. whatever was inside probably reacted negatively to the metal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors