Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apr 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need Help Identifying this Foreign Military Badge/Pin

Hello! I just stumbled upon this badge/pin when I was going through my great uncle's things and cannot find any information on the internet that could help me ID it. My Uncle was in the Navy and would have been 100 this year. It has what appears to be a non latin character on it along with 1648. Here are the pictures I took.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin1.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	580.0 KB 
ID:	631381

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin2.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	804.5 KB 
ID:	631382

I would really appreciate any feedback!

Thank you,

Scott

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    785 times
    Well it's Asian definitely, I think, it may be Korean but I'm far from knowledgeable on Asian writing. Definitely a neat item.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Ken View Post
    Well it's Asian definitely, I think, it may be Korean but I'm far from knowledgeable on Asian writing. Definitely a neat item.
    Thank you for the input! I am searching the internet like crazy to find out more, but can't seem to find anything like it.

Charter Member

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds')
    Minelab Explorer
    1668 times
    Research and History
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Seh,
    Welcome to Treasure Net !!
    You may wish to contact your local librarian and ask for someone in Asian Studies; that person might either know the interpretaion of your pin or can refer you to someone who can help.
    Don.....

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    831 times
    The characters are Chinese or Japanese. Actually the two languages share many kanji characters. The radical on the left means ship or boat or vessel. Name:  fune.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  22.3 KB

I haven't figured out the other part but it may have to do with the harbor or port so a sailor on shore leave can get back to his ship without speaking the local language.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    The characters are Chinese or Japanese. Actually the two languages share many kanji characters. The radical on the left means ship or boat or vessel. Name:  fune.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  22.3 KB

I haven't figured out the other part but it may have to do with the harbor or port so a sailor on shore leave can get back to his ship without speaking the local language.

DCMatt
    Thanks a lot! That's really helpful and neat! I wonder how old it is.... Mackaydon: Thanks for the good advice, I'll have to do that. I forgot to mention that he was stationed on a submarine for a lot of the time that he served. I'm trying to see if "1648" is the submarine's number or something.

Thanks!

us
    Sep 2007
    Reno, NV
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett GTAX 550
    18 times
    Just had my local militaria and badge expert take a look at it. It's a civilian ID badge for a shipyard/plant worker from World War II. I don't speak or read Japanese but we have seen these before and have determined that's what it is.
    Give Northern Nevada Coin a call for any questions regarding US coins and ask for "Joe" at (775)-828-2646 or check out our website at http://www.brokencc.com

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson Coin Master View Post
    Just had my local militaria and badge expert take a look at it. It's a civilian ID badge for a shipyard/plant worker from World War II. I don't speak or read Japanese but we have seen these before and have determined that's what it is.
    Occupied Japan?

Is your Grandfather Japanese seh7td?

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    Occupied Japan?

Is your Grandfather Japanese seh7td?
    Thanks for the information! I am going to have to do some research to understand that. My (Great) Uncle was not Japanese, haha. He was born in St. Louis, MO.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    877 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by seh7td View Post
    Thanks for the information! I am going to have to do some research to understand that. My (Great) Uncle was not Japanese, haha. He was born in St. Louis, MO.
    I didnt mean any disrespect. I misunderstood. I thought the pin belonged to your GreatUncle. I see now that it was in his belongings.

Im still wondering if this is WWII or post war Occupied Japan. A shipyard/plant worker in WWII Japan or Japanese conquests cannot be American, can it? POW?
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 01, 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    I didnt mean any disrespect. I misunderstood. I thought the pin belonged to your GreatUncle. I see now that it was in his belongings.

Im still wondering if this is WWII or post war Occupied Japan.
    I wasn't offended at all, I just thought it was funny. He was in WWII and never lived in Japan after the war. I'm just wondering if it was his badge or something he picked up because I know he was active duty/not a civilian worker.

Edit: Sorry I didn't read all of your post. Your last sentence is exactly what I am trying to figure out too.
    Last edited by seh7td; May 01, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    831 times
    I see the item has been identified.

I think the right redical on the badge is the kanji used in words like pure, gallant, righteous, clean... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kanji-character-for-righteousness.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	631709

I have not found an example of it used for anything ship related. But, as I have proved here time and again, my ability to translate kanji is "heta desu yo" (very unskillful).

I'll see if the shipyard angle bears any fruit. Neat item.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Apr 2012
    I see the item has been identified.

I think the right redical on the badge is the kanji used in words like pure, gallant, righteous, clean... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kanji-character-for-righteousness.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	631709

I have not found an example of it used for anything ship related. But, as I have proved here time and again, my ability to translate kanji is "heta desu yo" (very unskillful).

I'll see if the shipyard angle bears any fruit. Neat item.

DCMatt
    Thank you very much for your input!

I am not sold on the civilian shipyard worker idea. It doesn't seem plausible to me as my Great Uncle never worked as a civilian in any capacity in Japan.

Thanks!

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    831 times
    In my opinion this badge is not military related. Imperial Japan was much like Nazi Germany with it's markings on things. The Germans put a swastika on everything and the Japanese navy put a sakura or cherry blossom on everything. Do a search on Imperial Japanese Navy badges and you'll see what I mean.

I also don't think it is submarine related. The Japanese word for for submarine during the war was yuu-booto from the German U-boat. Since it is a borrowed word from another language, there is no kanji for it.

One other consideration - Prior to American occupation, Japanese was written and read from right to left. If the badge is WWII or earlier it would be written "old style". A Japanese person today might have to read it backwards for it to make sense.

DCMatt
    by the author.

Apr 2012
    In my opinion this badge is not military related. Imperial Japan was much like Nazi Germany with it's markings on things. The Germans put a swastika on everything and the Japanese navy put a sakura or cherry blossom on everything. Do a search on Imperial Japanese Navy badges and you'll see what I mean.

I also don't think it is submarine related. The Japanese word for for submarine during the war was yuu-booto from the German U-boat. Since it is a borrowed word from another language, there is no kanji for it.

One other consideration - Prior to American occupation, Japanese was written and read from right to left. If the badge is WWII or earlier it would be written "old style". A Japanese person today might have to read it backwards for it to make sense.

DCMatt
    I definitely see what you mean. Thanks for the useful information. The Japanese Imperial badges have a lot of similar characteristics, too. I'm going to do some research on that.

Thanks,

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors