Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS ~

Since this is a shot in the dark chance of finding anything anyway, I've desided to focus my searches to ...

Midwest Minor Leagues ~ Circa 1910 ~ {1905 to 1915}

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi....cgi?year=1910

Wish me luck ... I'll need it.

SBB

For baseball sports memorabilia collectors here is a real gem offered by the "Antique Athlete." This is an extraordinary 1910’s Baseball Uniform Complete with Cap and Socks. This gorgeous vintage baseball uniform remains in stunning NR-MT to MINT condition. The material is grey wool flannel with navy blue pinstripes. Amazingly this uniform has remained completely... Read More

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baseball Uniform - 1910.jpg 
Views:	1402 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	633621

1908 Postcard - Baseball Game - Lincoln Park, Chicago, Illinois

Name:	Baseball Postcard - Chicago - 1908.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	633622
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 07, 2012 at 11:16 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    I've been looking at Grain Elevator pictures and trying to find one that matches. The one in the photo is unique because the upper section is not centered and shares a common outer wall with the structure below it. Notice where I placed the red arrow and where it is obvious that the left upper wall is common to both parts of the building. 95% of the old elevator pictures I've been looking at show the upper part dead center of the structure with a small, sloped roof beneath it. If I can find a picture of this particular Elevator, then I will be able to determine the location. And once I have the location and town the rest will be easy because all I will have to do is contact the Historical Society there and I'm sure they will have some info or knowledge about an oldtime baseball team in the area who used to play in the vacant field behind the Grain Elevator. Sounds easy enough. Now all I gotta do is identify the grain elevator. There should only be about a jillion of them to look at.

SBB

Common left-side wall of both upper and lower structure. There can only be so many that look like that.

Name:  Baseball Picture - Cropped - Painted.jpg
Views: 1496
Size:  57.9 KB

Here's what about 95% of them look like.

Name:	Grain Elevator.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	633628
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 08, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    821 times
    Bob,

Excellent sleuthing! You have made a good argument for the time frame of the photo. One more thing that may help is the type of photo developing and paper used.

I don’t know much about it but 10 years ago I was at the beach and took a photo of a family using their early 20th C box camera. The guy then took a photo of us and mailed to me later. He commented about the special type of paper and processing necessary to develop the photo. It is a cool photo.

The sepia tone on your photo may also be a clue.

I can’t see a number on the uniform. Did they use numbers on the players back then?

I also found this http://www.baseball-fever.com/ They have an historical photo forum.

Fun thread.

Thanks

DCMatt
    Last edited by DCMatt; May 08, 2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Additional link
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Aug 2007
    Holt, MO north of KC
    White's MXT
    2 times
    I am no expert, but I have been an avid baseball history nut since I was a kid. That sure looks like Ty Cobb from all of the old photos I have seen. Bats left Throws right. His first season with Detroit was 1905. If that is a minor league/spring training pic (or whatever equivalent they had for ST those days), they trained in Detroit (1901); Ypsilanti, Mich. (1902); Shreveport (1903-1904); Augusta, Ga. (1905-1907) Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kccj76; May 08, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
    Pull tabs? We don't need no stinking pull tabs!

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    DCMatt ~

Thanks for taking a look-see and helping me out. I did some research on photography, but without getting too technical, was able to determine the photo fits the time slot of about 1890 to about 1920. Which I realize is a huge gap in time, but was the best I could come up with. The Sepia process (brown tint) was introduced in the late 1880s. Glossy finishes were first introduced in the early 1920s.

If you scroll back to the first page of this thread you will see where I posted a reference regarding jersey numbering being introduced around 1907-1909.

Photography Links ...
    Silver Print/Glossy Photos: Gelatin silver print - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The higher gloss papers first became popular in the 1920s and 30s as photography transitioned from pictorialism into modernism, photojournalism, and “straight” photography.

Basic History:
    The American Museum of Photography: Resources

Timeline:
    Timeline of photography technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kccj76 ~

Nothing would thrill me more than for the player in the photo to be Ty Cobb. But I'm not sure I'm the right person to prove it ... or disprove it. Until you mentioned it the thought never entered my head. But you can be absolutely certain that I am going to research the possibility with ernest. To start with, here is a link to some really good photos of Ty Cobb. Below are a couple of examples for comparison.

Ty Cobb Photo Gallery:
    Bill's Ty Cobb Photos

Thanks to both of you for your contributions. I appreciate it.

Bob

Ty Cobb right side profile 1921.

Name:	Ty Cobb - Right Side Profile.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	633685

My Photo.
    Name:  Baseball Picture - Cropped - 1 001.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  81.8 KB
    Ty Cobb with Hornus Wagner 1909.

Name:	Ty Cobb & Hornus Wagner 1909.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	633687
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 08, 2012 at 11:21 AM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS ~

Ty Cobb has a distinctive nose and oval shaped ears. Do you think the guy's nose and ears in my photo are the same?

SBB

Ty Cobb's Nose and Ears 1913.

Name:  Ty Cobb Nose.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  32.6 KB

My Photo Cropped.

Name:  Baseball Picture - Scanned - Nose and Ears.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  32.4 KB
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 08, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Dec 2006
    315 times
    hi bob i lightened up the img,his ear is more round than mine and most people i know
    looks like a logo on his boot,ill add to the img GE list,as time allows,i think the GE,can
    prob be solved,though it may take sometime,and that might lead to the Bplayer hopefully

Name:	ball grain.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	633690
    found an img of a offset GE
    Name:  d1905fa3-ca10-4c23-8b5b-853da7330937.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  27.0 KBQuick Description: This wooden grain elevator is at the south end of Main St on the east side of Elm Creek, Manitoba
    Grain Elevator - Elm Creek MB - Grain Elevators on Waymarking.com
    a list of imgs of GEs
    bruce selyem country grain elevator photographs - links
    Grain Elevator Types 1: Pre- and Early (IHS Built Environment Typology)

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    cw0909 ~

Thank you for taking the time to help out with this baffling quandry. My head is spinning with all of the new information.

I did notice the Logo (or whatever that is on his stocking) but so far have not been able to make sense of it or find anything that matches. However, it is a great clue and one in which I intend to pursue closer. Below are some links to one of the websites I have been looking at that list just about every baseball logo ever conceived. Check it out. Maybe you or someone else can find some possibles.

By the way, I have also researched "Baseball Stockings" in general, and as yet have not found any examples of logos being applied to or stitched on them. But I'm still looking. If it is a logo and it can be identified, then it will be a giant leap forward.

I'm beginning to think that identifying the Grain Elevator will eventually lead to solving the Who, What, Where and When of the photograph.

American League:
    AL Logos - American League Logos - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

National League:
    NL Logos - National League Logos - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

All Leagues - Including Minors and Foreign:
    Baseball Logos - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

Thanks again to all.

Bob
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 08, 2012 at 01:23 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS ~

Regarding the so called logo on the stocking, I'm sure we all agree that it's a Circle shape. So I'd say anything other than a circle-shape can be eliminated.

SBB

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS ~ PS

Here's a sketch I did of what the stocking logo looks like to me. Hopefully it will lead to something. Click on cw0909's cropped image for a closer look.

SBB

Name:	Baseball Photo - Logo Sketch 001.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	633702
    Name:  What Is It Baseball Photo By cw0909.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  20.9 KB

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    821 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    PS ~

Regarding the so called logo on the stocking, I'm sure we all agree that it's a Circle shape. So I'd say anything other than a circle-shape can be eliminated.

SBB
    Bob,

Keep in mind that it could be a hole. Playing ball you can get a hole in your stocking - darn it!

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS~PS~PS

"Maybe" its a big C but the fabric is wrinkled and we can't see the opened-end part on the right side. But the only big C I was able to find that had a "solid blob" in the center was ...

Chicago Cubs ~ 1916

Name:	Baseball Logo Chicago Cubs 1916.gif 
Views:	410 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	633704
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 08, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Bob,

Keep in mind that it could be a hole.
    Matt ~

You're probably right. Plus, I'm beginning to think I have "holes" in my head. (Lol)

Thanks.

Bob

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    PS~PS~PS~PS

Unless someone has anything new to add, and after carefull examination of all the evidence, I'm convinced that the only way to possibly identify the player is to identify the grain elevator first. So with that said, I'm now focusing 100% of my attention to the elevator. If it's still standing or a picture was ever taken of it, I hope to find.

SBB

us
    Mar 2005
    good ole Tennessee
    Tesoro Silver Sabre U Max
    6 times
    I may be wrong but isnt Cobb batting left? Your photo has a righty...I think..lol
    John 3:16

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors