Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: CIRCA 1900 FRAMED BASEBALL PICTURE

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    PS ~ PS

There is/was never an organization (that I can find) called the SBA/Southern Baseball Association. Not in Texas or any other state. There was a Southern Association, but the word "Baseball" was not a part of the official title. The link I posted does not say "Southern Baseball Association/SBA" it says, "Southern Association Baseball," which would be SAB, if anything.

Even though I am trying my best, this just isn't making sense.

Bob

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    I just received a reply from one of several email inquires I made. Here's what one of the experts had to say (copy/pasted).

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry, but there don't seem to be many identifying features in that photo to help narrow it down. My best guess is that it's sometime in the early 1900s (c. 1900-1910), based on the collar of the jersey. If there was a way to read the words on the grain elevator, I think that would offer the best clue. The dark panel in the middle of his cap is also somewhat distinguishable, but according to Marc Okkonen's uniform database(National Baseball Hall of Fame - Dressed to the Nines - Uniform Database) no major league league team wore a cap that looks like that, as far as I can tell.

Sorry I can't be of any further assistance. There are a lot of these photos out there, and without any other context to go on, it's probably going to be next to impossible to identify.

Regards,

Jacob Pomrenke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baseball Picture - Scanned 001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	634341
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    PS:

Franklin ~

Unless I have the wrong league or am misunderstanding something, I cannot find a single connection between the SBA and the state of Texas. Do you have a link or some other reference that we can take a look at regarding this? I'm also curious to know where you read or came up with the the claim that the SBA "headquarters" was in Montgomery, Texas?

Thanks.

Bob
    Not one bit of it makes any sense to me either. Why would the SBA or SAB be playing in Aurora Nebraska and where does it say Aurora is in the same southern league?
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 10, 2012 at 02:58 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    I just received a reply from one of several email inquires I made. Here's what one of the experts had to say (copy/pasted).

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry, but there don't seem to be many identifying features in that photo to help narrow it down. My best guess is that it's sometime in the early 1900s (c. 1900-1910), based on the collar of the jersey. If there was a way to read the words on the grain elevator, I think that would offer the best clue. The dark panel in the middle of his cap is also somewhat distinguishable, but according to Marc Okkonen's uniform database(National Baseball Hall of Fame - Dressed to the Nines - Uniform Database) no major league league team wore a cap that looks like that, as far as I can tell.

Sorry I can't be of any further assistance. There are a lot of these photos out there, and without any other context to go on, it's probably going to be next to impossible to identify.

Regards,

Jacob Pomrenke

Name:	Baseball Picture - Scanned 001.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	634341
    You found a player with this hat. Once it is is revealed or a member finds it we can move on with the investigation to find out what team he played for. Where you able to find out what team he played for?.
    Attachment 634342
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 10, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    You found a player with this hat. Once it is is revealed or a member finds it we can move on with the investigation to find out what team he played for. Where you able to find out what team he played for?.
    Um, ah ... I really need to emphasize that the cap I posted a cropped image of is only similar in that it is two-colored. I'm 99.9% certain it is not the same "style" of cap the player in my photo is wearing. The one I posted is dated 1870-1871 and is what I now refer to as the "Circus" "Clown" period of baseball when they were still unsure about as to how to promote and organize. In the early days of baseball they even wore "chest panels" on the fronts of their jersey's like the fireman of the period used to wear. If no one finds and post the full picture within the next couple of hours, I will post it myself and just call the contest a bust. I was just trying to make things fun and interesting. But now I'm relying on "true" experts to help solve this and (until further notice) I have decided to go with Jacob's "educated" guess of circa 1900-1910.

Bob
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 03:26 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    PS ~

The guy wearing the clown/baseball cap played for the Croghan (Fremont, Ohio) Base Ball Club, 1871. Just wait until you see the uniform he's wearing, it will crack you up.
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    PS ~

The guy wearing the clown/baseball cap played for the Croghan (Fremont, Ohio) Base Ball Club, 1871. Just wait until you see the uniform he's wearing, it will crack you up.
    I guess there could be a lot of teams with the same cap so maybe I souldnt be so optomistic. Maybe ESP is your best chance (wink) 1871 thats old.

I think you posted another clue.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    I was playing around with the uniform database that Jacob recommended and came up with the following for ...

1900-1910 ... National Baseball Hall of Fame - Dressed to the Nines - Uniform Database

You can click on each illustration to enlarge and examine it in more detail.

Just keep clicking on the "Next" button on the bottom and it will show every change in uniforms between 1900 and 1910. This particular range of years totals about 10 "next" pages. Its really cool and fun. Check it out. And just click on "Database" at the top of the page if want to play around with other years. Just follow the instructions accordingly. Its easy!

Bob
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    Here's the answer to our mystery baseball player with the weird cap and uniform, which finalizes Part Two of the contest. Sorry. Better luck next time. However, I will still grant a prize for Part One of the contest to the individual who finds and post a picture of "a real, exact matching cap."

SBB

Birchard Austin Hayes ~ Oldest son of our 19th President, Rutherford B Hayes ...

Name:	Baseball Player circa 1870.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	634357

Read all about him here. The top link is where I found the picture. That same website is also where I found the picture of the 1877 De Witt's catalog. If you keep clicking on "The Equipment Continued" you will see all sorts of interesting stuff. In fact, the entire website is amazing.

Baseball History: 19th Century Baseball: The Equipment

Baseball History: 19th Century Baseball: Image: Baseball Player Circa 1871

Birchard Austin Hayes Collection at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

The Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center

PRESIDENTIAL CHILDREN: THE HAYES KIDS

Rutherford B. Hayes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 04:54 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    I am still looking forward to hearing back from Franklin. It just blows my mind that he posts a tiny picture and expects us to see all that stuff. I just dont understand what has been happening to TN lately. Maybe its all the publicity on TV. It seems we have lost some credibility on this forum, and participation of old regulars seems to be down. The entertainment factor however is up I guess.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 10, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    45 times
    Big Cy ~

Please don't get too discouraged. If you click back to my opening page you will see where I did a ton of research on my photo before bringing it to TreasureNet. Initially I was just going to skip Tnet and submit inquires straight to the baseball experts like I am now. But because I enjoy this site so much and like "sharing" with fellow members, that's why I posted it here first. As for value, sure, it will be nice if it turns out that my photo has some collectible interest and value, but that is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I'm more of a collector (pack rat) than I am a seller. I only mention this because it might explain what you referred to when you said there seems to be some lost interest in this website, which I haven't noticed myself. It's the arguing that turns me off, not unsolved mysteries like this one. Thanks for your interest and numerous, helpful contributions. They are very much appreciated. Without you Tnet wouldn't be what it is today. Right now I'm just waiting and hoping to hear back from some of the inquires I sent. I'm sure one of them will have an answer and solve this thing once and for all.

Hang in there.

Bob

PS ~

I'm not saying there is a lot of arguing that goes on here at Tnet, because there's not. But we all know that it does occur ocassionally. I sometimes tap into other chat forums, which there are zillions of, but if I detect one hint of bickering going on, I click out of it faster than a speeding bullet.
    Last edited by SODABOTTLEBOB; May 10, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Dec 2006
    344 times
    i just skimmed the last 3pgs,so maybe the research links, may be no good now
    are you still thinking, your pic is 1890-1905,the 1st 2 links are a source of teams
    in minor league,and a link for researching minor ball pks,the last link,is loaded
    with research info,this wknd i should have some time to look into some of the
    ball pks,and the other stuff
    1900 Minor League Baseball League Encyclopedia
    1900 Minor League Baseball League Encyclopedia - Baseball-Reference.com
    find a yr Minor League Baseball History
    Minor League Baseball History - Baseball-Reference.com
    Minor League Ballparks links,just stats no img,just leads to look into
    Minor League Ballpark History - Baseball-Reference.com
    have you tried this site
    The Society for American Baseball Research
    The SABR Story | SABR
    from The Society for American Baseball Research pg, Research | SABR
    i searched the Periodical, Book and Other Resource Titles,under Magazines
    in Baseball Magazine (1908-1920) and got this list,ill help browse it over the wknd
    Search Results: : Journal/Book Title: Baseball Magazine

Franklin
    Sorry fellows I haven't been on the computer since early morning. I will try to send larger pictures. You can save the pictures I posted and enlarge them with software for photos. But anyway I will give it a try.Name:  Baseball Picture - Cropped - 4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  45.6 KB

Sorry this is as large as I can show with any definition. I was wrong about the State------It is Minn. for Minnesota. And the town starts with either "Mil" or "Wil" and ending what appears a "Y" Right behind the batters back above the belt is 1888 and below is No.6 It also has either SBA on the top of the mill above the town name or either SAA

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Big Cy ~

Please don't get too discouraged. If you click back to my opening page you will see where I did a ton of research on my photo before bringing it to TreasureNet. Initially I was just going to skip Tnet and submit inquires straight to the baseball experts like I am now. But because I enjoy this site so much and like "sharing" with fellow members, that's why I posted it here first. As for value, sure, it will be nice if it turns out that my photo has some collectible interest and value, but that is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I'm more of a collector (pack rat) than I am a seller. I only mention this because it might explain what you referred to when you said there seems to be some lost interest in this website, which I haven't noticed myself. It's the arguing that turns me off, not unsolved mysteries like this one. Thanks for your interest and numerous, helpful contributions. They are very much appreciated. Without you Tnet wouldn't be what it is today. Right now I'm just waiting and hoping to hear back from some of the inquires I sent. I'm sure one of them will have an answer and solve this thing once and for all.

Hang in there.

Bob

PS ~

I'm not saying there is a lot of arguing that goes on here at Tnet, because there's not. But we all know that it does occur ocassionally. I sometimes tap into other chat forums, which there are zillions of, but if I detect one hint of bickering going on, I click out of it faster than a speeding bullet.
    I wasnt referring to just this post and I certainly wasnt referring to anything you posted.. I was referring to in general the past month. Some of the expert opinions lately seem to hurt TNs credibility. Its OK to guess but some of the observations and claims this past month really make me wonder. I am NOT referring to anything you said or did.

And I was not at all referring to the value of this item. I happen to think it has value but I have no idea how much. And yes you are absolutely correct that you never claimed it was valuable. But it was recently a few clumps of rust were claimed as Roman. And yes there has been a lot of arguing, myself involved. The moderator needs to shut it down quicker maybe.

I thought participation was down because you have no takers on the contest and some of the other threads have no replys at all, but maybe its just my imagination..
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 10, 2012 at 07:03 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    Sorry fellows I haven't been on the computer since early morning. I will try to send larger pictures. You can save the pictures I posted and enlarge them with software for photos. But anyway I will give it a try.Name:  Baseball Picture - Cropped - 4.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  45.6 KB

Sorry this is as large as I can show with any definition. I was wrong about the State------It is Minn. for Minnesota. And the town starts with either "Mil" or "Wil" and ending what appears a "Y" Right behind the batters back above the belt is 1888 and below is No.6 It also has either SBA on the top of the mill above the town name or either SAA
    Thanks for posting. I am hoping you can explain more.

Bob has the original, and he sees nothing at all that you speak of, even under magnification. And I cant see anything either and I wont play along.

Can you make some red marks with paint what you are visioning?? ....especially the location marks on the backside?
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 10, 2012 at 07:01 PM.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links