Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    857 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Miami Amigos

I know what it is. Its a Louisville Slugger 1979 Opening Season promotional giveaway Im assuming for the defunct Miami Amigos baseball team. Im trying to get an idea of value before I sell on eBay.

Can any of you slueths find another example online? I would also know exactly what it was given away for or what? Value? I cant find anything. Its 16 inches long, wood and mint condition. It would hurt if you bopped someone on the head. Thanks.

The interesting Inter-American League didnt last one year. Davey Johnson was manager. #63 Miami Amigos at Fun While It Lasted
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001F.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	650631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002F.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	466.6 KB 
ID:	650632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	283.2 KB 
ID:	650633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	650634  
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Jul 03, 2012 at 01:58 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    The color seems to match the uniform. Attachment 636051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miami amigos.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	650622
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; Jul 03, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    855 times
    Davey Johnson is now managing the Washington Nats (my home town team). I wonder if he would like it?

I found this on ebay. The guy wants $50.
    This is an incredibly rare find....
    Eye-catching 1979 MIAMI AMIGOS game program from the doomed INTER-AMERICAN LEAGUE. In twenty years of collecting and dealing, I have never seen an item from the Inter-American League before.
    The league was an independent circuit, sanctioned as triple-A caliber by Major League Baseball, but with no parent club affiliations. Teams were located in Panama, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico. Miami was the only continental U.S.-based club. There were a lot of great old-timers that came to play in the Inter-American League including BOBBY TOLAN, MIKE CUELLAR, OSCAR ZAMORA and ZOILI VERSAILLES.
    DAVEY JOHNSON was the player-manager for the Amigos. They also featured DANNY THOMAS, the "Sundown Kid", a tragic figure in Milwaukee Brewers history who committed suicide in 1980.
    The Inter-American League had massive managerial problems and folded in June 1979 after only two months of operation, which is one of the main reasons that material from this league is so scarce. The other is that hardly anyone went to the games, except for the Caracas team in Venezuela which drew crowds of 7,000 - 8,000 for some games.
    They made a nice program though!
    30 pages. Excellent condition.
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    I hate the Wash Nationals. Pittsburgh couldnt lose when they really needed to and missed first pic Bryon Harper, a player they really needed.. A player like that only comes around once in a decade. Where would the Penguins be without Mario Lemieux? The Nationals got the top draft pics and the Pirates got second choice because they couldnt lose a few meaningless games.. sorry for the rant and thanks for helping. Yes I saw that on eBay. 1979 Miami Amigos Minor League Baseball Program - Inter-American League | eBay

The link says the league only lasted 2 months.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 15, 2012 at 02:18 PM.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    855 times
    I suggest you contact the ebay guy and see what he says about it. According to him it is a rare piece.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    I suggest you contact the ebay guy and see what he says about it. According to him it is a rare piece.

DCMatt
    sounds like a good idea.

I sent him this TN link but I noticed he said "In twenty years of collecting and dealing, I have never seen an item from the Inter-American League before."
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 15, 2012 at 02:25 PM.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    Miami Amigos 1979 program from eBay ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Miami Amigos Program - eBay .00.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	660.0 KB 
ID:	636056

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    I hate the Wash Nationals. Pittsburgh couldnt lose when they really needed to and missed first pic Bryon Harper, a player they really needed.. A player like that only comes around once in a decade. Where would the Penguins be without Mario Lemieux? The Nationals got the top draft pics and the Pirates got second choice because they couldnt lose a few meaningless games..
    Harper has been a huge boost for the Nats. He just hit his first ML homer. Got a standing ovation and a curtain call. He also made the news a couple weeks ago by stepping in to play softball with some people on the The Mall. Pretty cool and very talented kid. He will be good for baseball no matter where he plays.

DCMatt
    by the author.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Harper has been a huge boost for the Nats. He just hit his first ML homer. Got a standing ovation and a curtain call. He also made the news a couple weeks ago by stepping in to play softball with some people on the The Mall. Pretty cool and very talented kid. He will be good for baseball no matter where he plays.

DCMatt
    Phooeey I dont want to hear it. lol A player like that 19 years old may only come around once in a century.

Pirates have been in last place forever and all they had to do is keep losing. Do you think they could manage that?? NO!! They win some meaningless freakin late season games and the Nationals get Bryon Harper!!
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 15, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SODABOTTLEBOB View Post
    Miami Amigos 1979 program from eBay ...

Name:	Miami Amigos Program - eBay .00.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	660.0 KB 
ID:	636056
    I emailed the seller.

I found some reading on the Louisville Slugger 125. Who makes Louisville slugger 125 mini bat Mine has gold printing

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern California
    28 times
    I realize the focus here is with the Miami Amigos, but while looking at 139 current eBay listings regarding anything to do with "Buy It Now" Louisville Sluggers, I found the following and though it was interesting ... (By the way, the average "Buy It Now" price for everyday Louisville Sluggers 125's seems to be about $40.00. But I don't consider your Miami Amigos bat to be "everyday/run of the mill.")

1951 Ad ... Buy It Now on eBay for $9.99

1951 H&B Louisville Slugger #125 Babe Ruth Hornsby ad | eBay

Name:	Louisville Slugger Ad - 1951.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	636069

Name:  Louisville Slugger Ad - 1951 (2).jpg
Views: 394
Size:  106.7 KB

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    855 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcypresshunter View Post
    I have a question Matt. Did the Nationals lose all those games on purpose to get the Bryon Harper pic?

I know the Penguins were accused of losing on purpose to get Mario Lemieux. The Pens coach says he never told his players to lose but he played his worst goalie lol.
    BCH,

No. Last year the Nationals truely sucked. They didn't have to try to lose.
    by the author.

us
    Feb 2006
    Castle Shannon, PA
    Whites MXT
    15 times
    BCH,

No. Last year the Nationals truely sucked. They didn't have to try to lose.
    As good as "Bryce" Harper is at baseball, he is still a child. He got pissed off after striking out and threw his bat against the dugout wall. The bat bounced back and whacked him in the head.... 10 stitches required.

Once he grows up a bit, any team would be lucky to have him. And to be honest, as a Pittsburgh resident, I can admit that having Bryce Harper would not solve the problem. The Pirates need to completely rebuild.
    Last edited by Kiros32; May 16, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiros32 View Post
    As good as "Bryce" Harper is at baseball, he is still a child. He got pissed off after striking out and threw his bat against the dugout wall. The bat bounced back and whacked him in the head.... 10 stitches required.

Once he grows up a bit, any team would be lucky to have him. And to be honest, as a Pittsburgh resident, I can admit that having Bryce Harper would not solve the problem. The Pirates need to completely rebuild.
    The Pirates have been completely rebuilding for 20 years LOL. If the best player is to be had for the number one pic and there is no consensus second best player, then you keep losing. Its a no brainer. Why win a few meaningless games and lose the first overall pic?

I agree hes a child but I disagree he wouldnt help. . Bryce Harper would be a good player in the current ongoing rebuilding process. The Pirates need young hitters with power and they have so very few.
    Last edited by Bigcypresshunter; May 16, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    857 times

DCMatt
    I contacted Andy Crossley (the eBay guy) who also happens to be the editor of funwhileitlasted.net Fun While It Lasted

Here is his email:

Dear bigcypresshunter,

Hi,

I read your posts on the Treasurenet website. I also wrote the blog post on funwhileitlasted.net about the history of the Amigos, which it seems like you found.

This club and league is very obscure. The whole league lasted only two months in 1979 before folding.

If you're trying to figure out what your bat is worth, it's tough to say. A hard core collector might pay $50 or $ 100, but there might be 8-10 guys in the world who collect independent baseball stuff this obscure. If you put it on eBay for a $10 minimum bid, it might go thru without a buyer. you may have to be very patient to find someone who appreciates this. You never know. Good luck though.

Andy

- minorleaguepaper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors