Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Mystery Native Artifact

A section of field that hadnít been plowed in about 10 years at my favorite native site had been plowed this past weekend so I played hookey from work and did the deed. I need a little more rain to really make it productive but I did find several rough quartz pieces including one nice little quartz point. The find of the day for me is the hardstone piece which looks to have been manufactured but I have no idea what it is or what it could have been used forÖif anything.

If anyone has an opinion or idea on the nature of this piece I would greatly appreciate hearing it. Pics from all angles:

Last edited by romeo-1; Jun 07, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
    If the elevator tries to bring you down, go crazy, punch a higher floor!

Here's the other pieces I found...

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    871 times
    I know very little about this sort of thing. But given that it is hardstone and one end shows wear, don't you think it is a knapping tool?

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    I know very little about this sort of thing. But given that it is hardstone and one end shows wear, don't you think it is a knapping tool?

DCMatt
    I think it's a little large for that...I'll do some checking in that direction!

us
    Jan 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, (Forward looking infrared radar, sonar, NSA satellites, night vision goggles, heads up display, and my Surface-Scouring Eyeballs...not quite.)
    539 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Romeo-1, You may have a Native American grinding stone pestle. It appears to have been smoothed on all corners and top/bottom surfaces. Nice score! SubterraneanName:  grinding stone.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  6.3 KB

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    871 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Romeo-1, You may have a Native American grinding stone pestle. It appears to have been smoothed on all corners and top/bottom surfaces. Nice score! SubterraneanName:  grinding stone.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  6.3 KB
    Wow! Those Native Americans sure did get around.
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

us
    Jan 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, (Forward looking infrared radar, sonar, NSA satellites, night vision goggles, heads up display, and my Surface-Scouring Eyeballs...not quite.)
    539 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Wow! Those Native Americans sure did get around.
    Hah! Now realizing that it is European, I guess it would be a Neanderthal grinding stone!

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    Hah! Now realizing that it is European, I guess it would be a Neanderthal grinding stone!
    European? Nope...Canadian!

May 2012
    5 times
    Looks like a petrified large pink eraser to me... Maybe somebody needed to redo their cave drawings.

ca
    May 2008
    Omega, CZ3D, AT Pro
    1289 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Hey my friend I usually have back-up for ya in the rock dept., but I'm afraid not this time. I think you just happen to have a parallogram (spell check that). Keep in mind I don't know XXXX, Then again, most of the "experts" offer only "opinions" when it comes to some of this stuff. "If" the stone "feels" right in your hand, and you believe it was used, then perhaps it was, but I don't think you are going to get any concrete evidence of that from anywhere, or anyone.

No problem Rick. I did take this to one of the geologists at the university where I work and he is quite sure that it is not natural. It's difficult to see in the pics but there is definite grinding visible. It's a rough piece as are the majority of pieces found in this field but I am quite sure it has been worked and shaped. Keep in mind that this isn't "just another field"...I've found hundreds of artifacts here including arrowheads, scrapers, knives, axes, adzes, a plummet, a ceremonial pieces, an etched hardstone piece and tons of native pottery.
    Last edited by romeo-1; Jun 08, 2012 at 08:15 AM.

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    It might be a grinding stone, But it could also be a geofact. In 20 years of rockhunting I've seen alot of rocks that look like something and are just mother natures way of saying.....Got cha!! JMHO

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

ca
    May 2008
    Omega, CZ3D, AT Pro
    1289 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by romeo-1 View Post
    No problem Rick. I did take this to one of the geologists at the university where I work and he is quite sure that it is not natural. It's difficult to see in the pics but there is definite grinding visible. It's a rough piece as are the majority of pieces found in this field but I am quite sure it has been worked and shaped. Keep in mind that this isn't "just another field"...I've found hundreds of artifacts here including arrowheads, scrapers, knives, axes, adzes, a plummet, a ceremonial pieces, an etched hardstone piece and tons of native pottery.
    OK then having found such a variety of other stuff in this location is good supportive evidence, and as you say holding it in your hand can see that it has been worked on. Just what the heck might it be ? they weren't growing corn and grinding it at this time were they ? Maybe it was a grindstone for shaping the slate ceremonial pieces.

Sponsors