Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By theatomicpansy
  • 1 Post By timekiller
  • 2 Post By timekiller
  • 1 Post By Iron Patch

Thread: Escutcheon (?)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2012
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Escutcheon (?)

Hi,

Just looking for some help identifying this piece I dug up recently. I believe it is an escutcheon (decorative piece on a firearm), although I'd like to know what you guys think. It measures about 4.3 x 2.1cm, and seems to be some sort of copper alloy. I found it in a known mid-18th century French occupation site here in Canada; however, I've read that the British were around this area as well, so I'm not sure about the origins of the piece. I've seen other escutcheons, however they all seem to be much simpler in design than this one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  11-109A999D-967936-960.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  28.8 KB
    kuger likes this.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    743 times
    We need to see the back as well as the front to make any determination.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Jun 2012
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    We need to see the back as well as the front to make any determination.

DCMatt
    My bad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0304.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	912.3 KB 
ID:	644865

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    743 times
    It looks more like it was attached to leather. What is the size?

I see the owl shape but I can't make out the image in the center? What is it?

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

Jun 2012
    1 times
    It looks more like it was attached to leather. What is the size?

I see the owl shape but I can't make out the image in the center? What is it?

DCMatt
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who sees an owl. As for the head in the center, it appears to be the bust of some sort of helmeted figure, in profile, although it's difficult to determine if the figure is male/female. The piece measures approx. 44mm x 21mm.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    743 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theatomicpansy View Post
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who sees an owl. As for the head in the center, it appears to be the bust of some sort of helmeted figure, in profile, although it's difficult to determine if the figure is male/female. The piece measures approx. 44mm x 21mm.
    That's what I was seeing also. Just wanted to make sure.

The Roman/Greek soldier motif leads me to think your item is closer to mid - late 19th century. Victorian revival stuff.

DCMatt
    by the author.

Charter Member
    us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    409 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Pretty sure it's a thumbplate escutcheon.I've seen that design on a musket somewhere before.The center mount piece looks like how many were mounted.That did not use the small tacks to hold them on.If I run across it later I'll post it.
    Take Care,
    Pete,
    Mean while you can look here & see many with that type mount on the back.
    owl thumb plate escutcheon - Google Search
    kuger likes this.
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

Jun 2012
    1 times
    DCMatt, Pete,

Many thanks to the two of you for the suggestions. As much as I enjoy finding unique pieces like this, it's always annoying when you can't be completely certain what you have.

Charter Member
    us
    I Often Find Myself Killing Time Looking For What Time Has Killed!

Feb 2009
    Morehead City / Newport NC
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro
    409 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I've looked for ya some more this morning,but some of the sites I had in my favorites don't seem to work no more.So no luck on a exact match.But with the curve yours seems to have,it's size,the way it mounted etc.I still think it's a thumb plate piece.Most of the fancy type were used on personal type guns say for hunting & such pistols,long guns.The pic. below is close it's off a fowler.I'll give you the site as well just click the guns & it will pull up larger pics.But it could very well be off a pistol as well.
    http://www.fowlingguns.com/fowlers.html
    Take Care,
    Pete,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilkins4[1].jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	645055  
    CRUSADER and Bryanhashemi like this.
    Them Colonials​Can't Hide Nowhere Now!

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    743 times
    I'll go with timekiller on this one. I looked at other examoples and you item is the correct shape and size for a thumb plate (I'm not much of a gun guy). I do, however, stand by my 19th century estimation of the age. The Roman/Greek/Trojan soldier motif was VERY popular in Victorian times.

DCMatt
    by the author.

I'll go with timekiller on this one. I looked at other examoples and you item is the correct shape and size for a thumb plate (I'm not much of a gun guy). I do, however, stand by my 19th century estimation of the age. The Roman/Greek/Trojan soldier motif was VERY popular in Victorian times.

DCMatt

More like mid. 18th century, which was the date for everything found around it.... and I know this because I was there!
    kuger likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2630 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I really like it.I seen the Owl right off,thats awesome!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Sponsors