Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2012

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

www.dropbox.com/sh/j4zg114tadt4uxt/gWDDXxhWTW I found This in South East New Mexico in an area called the permian basin. The spelling may not be right. If the link won't work I will send photos. To who ever would like them.
    James

us
    Feb 2009
    Panama City Florida
    32 times
    Military History, Militaria, and Military Surplus Weapons & Bayonets
    Link is bad!
    Mike
    TSgt, USAF Retired

May 2012
    Ok I will try to fix it after work. I never tried to use Dropbox this way before.
    James

May 2012
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j4zg114tadt4uxt/gWDDXxhwTW Here are photos taken so far. This is my first time trying to share using dropbox. I hope it works.

ca
    Jun 2012
    Regina, SK
    Prospecting
    At first I thought it was a tooth but then I saw how big it is...

May 2012
    So did I. It's about 50 lbs.

us
    Feb 2011
    Western PA.
    F75 AT Pro Gold Infinium
    51 times
    Relic Hunting
    Here's a wild guess. If it's hardened clay or a softer type stone, it could be a section that has worn away from the main piece of ground. The hole could have been formed many years ago from a rodent, snake, very early large prehistoric worm, or even water running through a small crevice in the earth. As mentioned- just a wild guess.

May 2012
    Even if it turns out to be nothing I'm going to keep. It will remind me I need to be out looking.

mx
    Jun 2012
    Torreon, Coahuila
    Fisher 1280
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I did a lot of caving when I was younger. The hole looks like it was caused by water abrasion, but it is hard to tell for sure.

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The hole could be from grinding grain, It looks like it could be part of a larger stone at one time....Maybe part of a larger grinding stone....jmho....HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

May 2012
    A lot people this it's made from water.The thought is it broke off a larger piece.

us
    May 2012
    Florida
    Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
    168 times
    Water Hunting; Beachcombing; Relic Hunting; Shipwrecks
    Quote Originally Posted by vonlick View Post
    www.dropbox.com/sh/j4zg114tadt4uxt/gWDDXxhWTW I found This in South East New Mexico in an area called the permian basin. The spelling may not be right. If the link won't work I will send photos. To who ever would like them.
    James
    Did you find it in Area 51?

All kidding aside... at first I thought it to be a broken piece from a mill stone. However, the curvature rules that out. Therefore, as said by other replies, I believe it is part of a natural formation.The hole as stated could be formed by water, or a small trunk, or root. I found a clay bead site in SW Florida whereas the beads had perfect symmetry on the drill hole. Then I found crude pieces of clay with perfect holes and thought it was a weather worn bead. Then I found a clay pit near the bottom of the site along a dry, but damp creek bed. It had reed grass growing along side of it; as well as dead, washed out reed grass. The latter had chunks of sun-dry clay adhered to it. Once the reed decays, the clay remains with the perfect symmetry. Based on this discovery, I wrote a paper on how the prehistoric Indians made such perfect clay beads. They would pull out the reed grass; form the bead on the stock-reed; then put it in a fire to harden the clay and burn out the reed. Someday I will publish it.

May 2012
    This area was under water during the last ice age so anything could have happened.
    James

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors