need a date on this type
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    1324 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

need a date on this type

Found these in my mothers attic (house dates to the 1790's) they are slate pencils. I am told they date to 1860 or 1920 depending on who I ask. I would love to narrow it down to a decade or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	... slate.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	101912  
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

Dec 2004
    Down in the pit
    Garrett 350 GTA
    347 times

Re: need a date on this type

Quote Originally Posted by relic lover
    Found these in my mothers attic (house dates to the 1790's) they are slate pencils. I am told they date to 1860 or 1920 depending on who I ask. I would love to narrow it down to a decade or so.
    You mean like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SLATE-PE...QQcmdZViewItem

Can't help you with the date, but you might contact the seller for info.
    Middenmonster

There are things you can replace. And others you cannot. The time has come to weigh those things. This space is getting hot. Whoa! This space is getting hot!

us
    Jul 2006
    Western PA
    Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
    1324 times
    Banner Finds (1)

hey nice pic. Midden M. but thats the problem I have looked on ebay etc. and everyone has vastly differing opinions on date.
    Seek and Ye shall find, (not necessarily what You were looking for)

us
    DG

Mar 2006
    Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
    Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
    27 times

From the color and style I would say late 1800's to around WW-1 time period. More likely around WW-1..
    The patriotic theme would place them nearer to 1910-18 time period I would think.
    DG
    Please look at my museum website.....      louisianahistorymuseum.org
    My playtoy site:  genius-antiques.com

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

Measures 5 1/2 inches long and has a decorative paper label with blue snowflake like design. During the Civil War period, and earlier, school children usually did not do their math problems, etc. using paper and pencil. Instead they usually did their ciphering with a slate board and slate pencil. This is an excellent example of one of those slate pencils used during the Civil War era
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SLATE PENCIL.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	101940  
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

Those are very cool...can't help you with a date.
    Finder of Things!

us
    Jan 2006
    Golden Isles Of Georgia
    Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
    29 times

Interesting. I have dug up fragmentary ones (they actually sometimes give a weak signal on my detector), but those pics are the first time I have ever seen intact ones with labels or decoration on them.

My wild guess (based only on gut instinct) on those flag-decorated ones is that they'd be from the early 1900s. I'll agree with the previous guesser who placed 'em around WW1.

PBK

May 2005
    207 times

"Slate pencils were available with the slate core unwrapped, wrapped in paper, and encased in wood like a lead pencil. Holden & Cutter, Boston, MA, advertised slate pencils c. 1840-60; Grigg & Elliot, Philadelphia, PA, advertised slate pencils c. 1850-60; Charles J. Cohen, Philadelphia, PA, advertised slate pencils, including wood-cased ones, in 1878. (Hagley Museum and Library) We have seen advertisements for slate pencils dating as late as 1914. According to Wielandy (p. 91), wood-cased slate pencils were still sold in the early 1930s."

http://www.officemuseum.com/pencil_history.htm

(A photo of identical rw&b paper-wrapped slate pencils appears on the same web page."

WWI period is cetainly plausible. Earlier patriotic period possibilities include 1898 (Spanish-American War) and 1876 (Centennial). I've found numerous photos/listings of similar pencils, but nothing in any of them that provides a definitive date.

Sponsored Links