Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Jun 2008
    Fisher F75 / Ace 250/ ATPro
    153 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Unidentified Fighting knife

Hey guys. I received this knife today on a trade. The fellow said the knife belonged to his Great Uncle who was in WWII. It is a double blade design with no visible markings. I Can tell it is old, because the brass cap at the end of the handle is worn through. No visible markings that I can see. I love the knife as a display piece. Let me know what you knife experts think. Thanks on advance.

us
    Jun 2012
    Evensville, Tennessee
    Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
    1053 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    With no markings I would assume it is custom made. Very common for people to make out files and such. Many an old farmer etc. knew how to temper steel. Really a cool old knife. ........just a guess but thats my 2 cents.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Agreed. Could be a fighting knife made by a soldier with the materials he had handy. In World War I and II soldiers made these knives, some cut down from long bayonets or short swords. The brass was commonly from artillery shell casings.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

us
    Jul 2009
    NW Alabama
    Ace 250
    38 times
    It doesn't look like much wear on the handle. I would say homemade 1970's.

us
    Jun 2008
    153 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Homemade 1970's ouch. Wow.

us
    relic hunter

Dec 2011
    Cape Cod
    tesoro stingray
    80 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I remember something similar on sale called a"Tennessee toothpick" perhaps Civil War?

us
    Mar 2007
    Northwest Missouri
    ACE 250
    40 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'm gonna go with hand made also and as far as a date If you look at the spacing between the rivets in the handle they are all different, I doubt that this knife was made in a factory or mass produced. Still a cool knife so if your happy with the trade all is good.

Charlie

us
    Jun 2008
    153 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The handle has me confused. It can be scratched with my fingernail. I don't know what it is made out of. It is very soft. Or brittle.

us
    Jun 2008
    153 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have been researching and have found a term Theater knife. Could this be a theater knife that this fellow carried along with him during the war. The fellow that carried this was an MP During the war. Just trying to put the pieces together.

us
    Feb 2010
    90 times
    My Dad's Uncle made knives. He made Dad one he carried in WW2. Made from a file and very good steel. I'm betting home made like them. I still have a couple of his knives.

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    363 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The south didnt have it as easy as the north so many things werent made from the factory it was hand made from material they had at there disposal....most things from the confederate army is faked because of that same reason the style is that of the arkansas tooth pick but you got to ask yourself does it appear to be of the time period? is the handle worn from use? is the iron pitted or showing any signs of age?...i dont see any i would have to pass on buying something that looks so pristine that is suppose to be 100 years old
    Im not crazy......my mother had me tested

us
    Jun 2008
    153 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    The iron blade is pitted. The handle is worn, but in good shape. The hand guard is a little loose and the brass heel cap is worn in the center showing the iron underneath. I'm not 100% sure of its creation, but it belonged to a MP during WW2. That is the story the fellow told me. I like the knife and I might could put an edge on it.

us
    Dec 2004
    South Florida
    70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
    875 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dustytrails123 View Post
    The south didnt have it as easy as the north so many things werent made from the factory it was hand made from material they had at there disposal....most things from the confederate army is faked because of that same reason the style is that of the arkansas tooth pick but you got to ask yourself does it appear to be of the time period? is the handle worn from use? is the iron pitted or showing any signs of age?...i dont see any i would have to pass on buying something that looks so pristine that is suppose to be 100 years old
    Maybe I missed it but I dont think he ever said anything about the Civil War. Wrong century.

us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3197 times
    Metal Detecting
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by zaxfire69 View Post
    I have been researching and have found a term Theater knife. Could this be a theater knife that this fellow carried along with him during the war. The fellow that carried this was an MP During the war. Just trying to put the pieces together.
    Please visit my Website http://TerrySoloman.com

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1608 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    would say the proper name for such a knife would be a DIRK. I think. collected some blades back in the '70s and '80s. My faves were Randall knives, out of Orlando. Even had one he etched my name in. He would stop civilian production and only do troops' requests during the Viet Conflict. Today, many knifemakers around. Nice instrument there, Zax! Why is part of my post in itallics? TTC
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144:1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors