Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Unique dime? Cant figure out whats different about it!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2736 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Do you have a small digital scale? You could try weighing it to see if the weight corresponds with a silver vs. clad dime. 2.5 grams for silver and 2.268 for clad. Are the obverse and reverse rotated correctly at 180 degrees like they should be?
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Tarnished dime........Value......10 cents.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    Dimes just a dime, Sorry to hear 'bout your dog. We just lost a Chauhauha that had been a member of our family for 15 yrs. Broke my wife's and my heart....prayers go to ya.

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

Mar 2012
    4 times
    could have been in a fire turning it black, more evidence of a fire would be a sort of puffiness of the coin because the fire would have started melting the copper inside the nickel clad, sort of deforming it.

May 2012
    40 times
    Ok not to sound stupid but I don't know a lot about coins! What exactly is a clad coin?

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

Charter Member
    us
    MINELAB XS-2 Pro ....... XTERRA 305 ....... EXPLORER SE PRO

Dec 2003
    S.W. Schuylkill County
    6535 times
    other then it looks like it spent some time under a car seat,
    It doesn't look like anything special.
    Perhaps someone thought the dirt made it look special.

Mar 2012
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by koolaidsmile View Post
    Ok not to sound stupid but I don't know a lot about coins! What exactly is a clad coin?

(clad ) in metals means different metals fused together. In the case of a U. S. dime the two different metals are nickel and copper, the outside of a "clad" dime is 25% nickel and 75% copper, and the inner core in pure copper. hopes this helps you understand "clad coins".

us
    Feb 2011
    Western PA.
    F75 AT Pro Gold Infinium
    57 times
    Relic Hunting
    Instead of the coin being made of pure copper, silver, or gold, clad coins are the "newer versions" that have very little of those metals in them. Example: A dime, quarter, etc from the mid-60's and older will be of silver, the newer ones are a mixture of cheaper metals.

us
    Jun 2012
    North Carolina
    Garrett Ace 150
    90 times
    Clad coins are just worth face value. They are not silver or special in any way.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    2891 times
    Relic Hunting
    Koolaidsmile wrote:
    > What exactly is a clad coin?

I'll give you a more-detailed explanation. In 1964, the US Mint decided to no longer manufacture 90%-Silver "general issue" dimes, quarters, halves, and dollar-coins, because the rising value of Silver was causing that metal in the coins to be worth more than the face value of the coin. Beginning at the very start of 1965, the US Mint switched from manufacturing "1-piece" Silver coins to manufacturing coins made of a copper disc with a thinner sheet of "Cupro-Nickel" bonded onto both sides of the copper disc. (Similar to a sandwich.) Collectors call them clad coins. Keeping the sandwich analogy in mind... the copper "core" is visible on the coin's multi-grooved edge, in between the coin's Cupro-Nickel front and back. The copper disc's exposed edges turn dark (like a copper penny) fairly quickly. But if you examine a brand-new dime, quarter, or half-dollar coin, you'll see the edge of the copper core quite plainly.
    The Descriminator likes this.

Mar 2012
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    Koolaidsmile wrote:
    > What exactly is a clad coin?

I'll give you a more-detailed explanation. In 1964, the US Mint decided to no longer manufacture 90%-Silver "general issue" dimes, quarters, halves, and dollar-coins, because the rising value of Silver was causing that metal in the coins to be worth more than the face value of the coin. Beginning at the very start of 1965, the US Mint switched from manufacturing "1-piece" Silver coins to manufacturing coins made of a copper disc with a thinner sheet of "Cupro-Nickel" bonded onto both sides of the copper disc. (Similar to a sandwich.) Collectors call them clad coins. Keeping the sandwich analogy in mind... the copper "core" is visible on the coin's multi-grooved edge, in between the coin's Cupro-Nickel front and back. The copper disc's exposed edges turn dark (like a copper penny) fairly quickly. But if you examine a brand-new dime, quarter, or half-dollar coin, you'll see the edge of the copper core quite plainly.
    cannonball guy,

Your detailed explanation of clad a coin is spot on, as is all your post, In my post i was trying to give koolaidsmile a definition of "clad", and being a metal fabricator for 22 years before my eyes started failing me "from a lot of welding", i think i obtained a goodly amount of metal knowledge, and i guess i was being simplistic with my explanation of clad metals. clad = two metals fused or bonded together or one metal covering another metal with the intent of the outer metal protecting the inner metal, at least that was the way it was explained to me back in the older days, cannonballguy you are a wealth of knowledge and i have the up-most respect for your knowledge.

very respectfully,
    The Descriminator likes this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    2891 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by attempted recovery View Post
    cannonball guy,

Your detailed explanation of clad a coin is spot on, as is all your post, In my post i was trying to give koolaidsmile a definition of "clad", and being a metal fabricator for 22 years before my eyes started failing me "from a lot of welding", i think i obtained a goodly amount of metal knowledge, and i guess i was being simplistic with my explanation of clad metals. clad = two metals fused or bonded together or one metal covering another metal with the intent of the outer metal protecting the inner metal, at least that was the way it was explained to me back in the older days, cannonballguy you are a wealth of knowledge and i have the up-most respect for your knowledge.

very respectfully,
    All I did was add some history and "visual analogies" to help Koolaidsmile understand how your Metalworkers' definintion applies to "clad" coins. Your post, TomPA's, and mine are good teamwork.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1306 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    A good explaination. I would only add that the '64 and earlier general circulation silver coins were an alloy of metals with 90% of it being silver. Begining in '65 the metals were layered (clad) instead of alloyed (for the most part anyway). The half dollars from '65 to 70 were clad also but they still contained 40% silver as were some proof coins.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, Minelab E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Minelab Excalibur, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, AutoScan, UniProbe, 15" WOT, 5X10 Joey, Stea
    1306 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Oh, and your 88D dime, it's just change......spend it.

May 2012
    40 times
    I still feel as though there's something different about it! I think I'll hang onto it! Worst case scenario I have ten cents that collects dust and maybe the value of dust will go up! :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links