Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: found a "rock" that makes my MD sing silver

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Sep 2012
    versailles ky
    whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
    114
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    found a "rock" that makes my MD sing silver

    im not sure what the heck this is. it makes my MD sing silver and its pretty heavy for the size any thoughts to what is it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3090.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	676701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3093.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	676702
    BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP....(DIGGING)....PULL TAB...$H!T

  2. #2
    us
    Sep 2012
    versailles ky
    whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
    114
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    i cut a small bit off of it with some tin snips and its shiny silver and when melted it melts very easily with a blow torch :P
    BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP....(DIGGING)....PULL TAB...$H!T

  3. #3
    us
    Feb 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bounty Hunter Prospector
    68
    Might very well be silver. It melts at about 1700F, and has the color. I'd take it to a coin and jewelry collector and have them do an acid test. Good luck!

  4. #4
    us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    1,988
    570 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    For 16:95 on ebay you can buy an acid test kit.

  5. #5
    nz
    Any day out detecting, is a good day !

    Jun 2012
    Wellington
    Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000, AT-Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark
    169
    36 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    For 16:95 on ebay you can buy an acid test kit.
    Hey great idea.!!!
    I might get one as well
    I too found a hard slither of metal (looked melted) that rang like silver.
    I just thought ,, "that's odd" Put it in my don't know what it is junk box ..
    So at 1700 degrees I guess no camp fire would get that hot, would it ?? (to melt silver ?)

  6. #6
    us
    May 2012
    PA
    Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
    487
    117 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Hey great idea.!!!
    I might get one as well
    I too found a hard slither of metal (looked melted) that rang like silver.
    I just thought ,, "that's odd" Put it in my don't know what it is junk box ..
    So at 1700 degrees I guess no camp fire would get that hot, would it ?? (to melt silver ?)
    Chips,

    You could try melting it with a campfire...but you would need to start that fire and let it burn all day....but I doubt it will work.. I have a woodstove insert..same as a regular woodstove but it fits in my fireplace and it is air tight and you can control the amount of air with a "special" valve...the more air of course makes it burn hotter...I have a thermometer on my stove and the hottest I ever got it up too was around 675 degrees Farenheight

    Like I said if you really really want to try and melt that rock...I would have a rather large fire....feed it all day....when it burns down a bit..at the end of the day...put the rock in the pan and put it over your smaller fire and those hot coals try and melt it....of course..you need to keep feeding the that fire.

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Swingy Thingy

    Nov 2010
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    FisherF75 ,Garret Propointer ,Vivitar HD Cam, Lesche Digger.Only the best of the best Sir!
    2,217
    748 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Two types of rocks have done that for me. One was hot rocks or iron in a rock. You would not be able to use tin snips on a hot rock.

    The other is a melted aluminum can. You can try a mustard test for silver. http://www.life123.com/career-money/...t-silver.shtml

    If you have silver, in that form. I would llook at getting a claim for the area and selling it to a mining company. Good Luck.

  8. #8
    Charter Member
    us
    Swingy Thingy

    Nov 2010
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    FisherF75 ,Garret Propointer ,Vivitar HD Cam, Lesche Digger.Only the best of the best Sir!
    2,217
    748 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dougofpa View Post
    Chips,

    You could try melting it with a campfire...but you would need to start that fire and let it burn all day....but I doubt it will work.. I have a woodstove insert..same as a regular woodstove but it fits in my fireplace and it is air tight and you can control the amount of air with a "special" valve...the more air of course makes it burn hotter...I have a thermometer on my stove and the hottest I ever got it up too was around 675 degrees Farenheight

    Like I said if you really really want to try and melt that rock...I would have a rather large fire....feed it all day....when it burns down a bit..at the end of the day...put the rock in the pan and put it over your smaller fire and those hot coals try and melt it....of course..you need to keep feeding the that fire.
    You can add air to melt aluminum by using a leaf blower on a wood fire. I have done it. aluminum melting point fahrenheit 1221'

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Dennis

    Jan 2012
    Montana
    White's MXT
    4,448
    2726 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyc10k View Post
    i cut a small bit off of it with some tin snips and its shiny silver and when melted it melts very easily with a blow torch :P
    It's probably lead, That's my guess.
    Ism likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    Sep 2012
    versailles ky
    whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
    114
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    its not lead im 100% sure of that. my guess is its either aluminum or silver. im getting it tested today to know for sure ill keep yall posted
    BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP....(DIGGING)....PULL TAB...$H!T

  11. #11
    nz
    Any day out detecting, is a good day !

    Jun 2012
    Wellington
    Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000, AT-Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark
    169
    36 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dougofpa View Post
    Chips,

    You could try melting it with a campfire...but you would need to start that fire and let it burn all day....but I doubt it will work.. I have a woodstove insert..same as a regular woodstove but it fits in my fireplace and it is air tight and you can control the amount of air with a "special" valve...the more air of course makes it burn hotter...I have a thermometer on my stove and the hottest I ever got it up too was around 675 degrees Farenheight

    Like I said if you really really want to try and melt that rock...I would have a rather large fire....feed it all day....when it burns down a bit..at the end of the day...put the rock in the pan and put it over your smaller fire and those hot coals try and melt it....of course..you need to keep feeding the that fire.
    Hi Dougofpa,
    From what you say i think it may not be melted silver then as I dug it up in a forest where there had been only a simple camp fire in the near by.
    But that is useful to know thanks

  12. #12
    nz
    Any day out detecting, is a good day !

    Jun 2012
    Wellington
    Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000, AT-Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark
    169
    36 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Casca View Post
    Two types of rocks have done that for me. One was hot rocks or iron in a rock. You would not be able to use tin snips on a hot rock.

    The other is a melted aluminum can. You can try a mustard test for silver. http://www.life123.com/career-money/...t-silver.shtml

    If you have silver, in that form. I would llook at getting a claim for the area and selling it to a mining company. Good Luck.
    I know its buy a river that in the past has been investigated for silver and gold, but no gold was ever found and there are no claims in operation there now. Dang I wish it was silver but sadly lol I think you are right I may have stumbled on a good old aluminum find haha ,,, another one for the pull tab collection
    But I am off to check that link up though

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2012
    NJ
    Whites
    1,449
    663 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Lead

  14. #14
    us
    Sep 2012
    versailles ky
    whites classic ID, bounty hunter 202
    114
    28 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    this is a pic after i cut a piece off of it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3112.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	677119
    BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP....(DIGGING)....PULL TAB...$H!T

  15. #15

    Sep 2012
    13
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I do not know a lot,
    looks like silver to me.I like the looks of it!

    Doolin88 also age 8

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jan 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
  2. Found "silver" rock
    By jadejackal in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 01, 2011, 11:57 AM
  3. Slim pickins today...silver "Roosie", "Buff", "wheaties" and "Yikes"!
    By lorraine in forum Beach and Shallow Water
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 15, 2011, 04:50 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jan 07, 2007, 12:56 PM
  5. "ARCHAEOLOGISTS GET IT WRONG AT THE FOK SING BRICK KILN"
    By tinpan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Dec 18, 2006, 10:39 PM

Search tags for this page

found a rock with my metal detector and its super light and silver in it

,

found silver rock

,
i found a rock that is silver
,
melted silver found in ky
,
rock that reads as silver on my metal detector
,

shiny rock in maryland

,
shiny silver metal detector
,
shiny silver rocks found with metal detector in ca
,

what does a chunk of unearthed silver look like

,

what is this rock i found

Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3