Minnie type bullet - need help from the "Bullet Guys"
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCannonballGuy

Thread: Minnie type bullet - need help from the "Bullet Guys"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2009
    Southern Connecticut
    Minelab SE w/ pro coil
    18 times
    Metal Detecting

Minnie type bullet - need help from the "Bullet Guys"

I found this bullet in a wooded area in Ct. The area has seen alot of early activity because I have found colonial coins to earlier military buttons there.
    The bullet has four rings and measures 1 in. long and the o.d. is 9/16 +/- in. (58 cal?)
    Any specifics would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Bruce
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2199.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	688020  

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    modern...sorry
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    8592 times
    Relic Hunting
    Kuger is right. Sorry to have to give you disappointing news, but it is indeed a modernday imitation of the typical form of civil war era yankee Minie-ball, made for use by today's Blackpowder game-hunters. (I think Blackpowder hunting season here in Virginia starts this week.) Note that the "rings" are much wider apart (and the bullet's curved nose is thus much shorter) than on the typical civil war 3-groove Minie-balls.

us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
    563 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy
    Kuger is right. Sorry to have to give you disappointing news, but it is indeed a modernday imitation of the typical form of civil war era yankee Minie-ball, made for use by today's Blackpowder game-hunters. (I think Blackpowder hunting season here in Virginia starts this week.) Note that the "rings" are much wider apart (and the bullet's curved nose is thus much shorter) than on the typical civil war 3-groove Minie-balls.
    I think it starts November the 3rd.
    If it sounds good, Dig It

Educator

Feb 2006
    8592 times
    Relic Hunting
    Bruce Ct, I should mention that your bullet resembles a late-1860s-era Snyder minie-ball ...which has a wide flat-bottomed cavity in its base, and typically has a 3/16-inch hole in the center of the bullet's nose. But you didn't mention a hole being in your bullet's nose ...and the only photo you posted does not show the bottom of your bullet. Does it have a flat-bottomed cavity in its base? If it does, please post a photo showing its base.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    Bruce Ct, I should mention that your bullet resembles a late-1860s-era Snyder minie-ball ...which has a wide flat-bottomed cavity in its base, and typically has a 3/16-inch hole in the center of the bullet's nose. But you didn't mention a hole being in your bullet's nose ...and the only photo you posted does not show the bottom of your bullet. Does it have a flat-bottomed cavity in its base? If it does, please post a photo showing its base.
    CBG,I was looking at the "grooves",around the base which I personally have only seen on "newer",bullets?
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

Educator

Feb 2006
    8592 times
    Relic Hunting
    Kuger, I saw those multiple vertical "reeding" grooves on each of the bullet's main body-grooves, and that's why my initial response was that it's a modernday Blackpowder-shooting bullet. (And also, the finder didn't mention a hole in the bullet's nose, which all the Snyder bullets I've seen do have.)

But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the Snyder bullets weere used in Canada ...and Bruce Ct is in Connecticut, right nextdoor to Canada. So, I feel obligated to make absolutely certain his bullet isn't a previosuly-undiscovered variation of a Snyder bullet. The shape of the base-cavity will give us the answer.
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:06 PM.
    kuger likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links