Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iron Patch

Thread: Copper Coin or Token with Ship

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Copper Coin or Token with Ship

My Wife found this copper coin or token at the site of the original Maryborough Township in Queensland Australia. The town was one of the largest immigration ports in Queensland at the time, so the piece could be from anywhere.

The coin/Token has a 3 mast ship on one side, which is visible in the picture.

On the other side it has the letters G K L at the top around the hole.

There is a rise in the middle, but I can not tell what the mark is.

There is also a 5 point star at the bottom of this side.

The coin is 2cm wide.

Any information would be great, thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	904.2 KB 
ID:	689613Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bak.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	689614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 cm.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	689615

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    781 times
    Based on the "blob" in the center of the back, I would say this was a button that someone made into a pendant.

The ship is similar to the mid 20th C British Half-Penny.

DCMatt
    While I have aimed in my postings to be irenic and conciliatory, rather than polemic, I have yet endeavored to set forth the
    truth, let it favor or impugn whom it might. Any notice of misrepresentations or mistakes occurring in these prose will be most thankfully received
    by the author.

That's an odd size, and considering the corrosion in the middle, and what's probably the word "GILT" on the back, I think you have a button... but that's a bit more interesting than most ship coins/tokens, at least to me.
    Last edited by Iron Patch; Oct 19, 2012 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMatt View Post
    Based on the "blob" in the center of the back, I would say this was a button that someone made into a pendant.

The ship is similar to the mid 20th C British Half-Penny.

DCMatt

That's funny, I actually read your post and not a word sunk in because I didn't even realize I was basically saying the same thing.... So I guess you can call that a consensus, at least of two. I had to say that because it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when someone gives the right answer, and then the next guy says the same thing, as if he's finally there to save the day.
    kuger likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Patch View Post
    That's funny, I actually read your post and not a word sunk in because I didn't even realize I was basically saying the same thing.... So I guess you can call that a consensus, at least of two. I had to say that because it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when someone gives the right answer, and then the next guy says the same thing, as if he's finally there to save the day.
    me too!!I often dont read all the four pages of replies,so I apologize if I have done that to you.....I hate it,or when you positively ID something and the next guy keeps going with outlandish "could its"
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Quote Originally Posted by kuger View Post
    me too!!I often dont read all the four pages of replies,so I apologize if I have done that to you.....I hate it,or when you positively ID something and the next guy keeps going with outlandish "could its"

No, the times that irk me a little are the ones where there's very few replies and the person answering is someone that I didn't expect was going to know because the ID was kind of out of left field... or more obvious... wrong, not close, and they agree! So I kinda shake my head a little. It's not like it happens every day, or even every week, but after I posted reading the reply again it reminded me of times like that but as we both know it's easy to focus on the first post and not take on much while skimming through the rest.

Oct 2012
    Thanks for the input. It defiantly says GKL on the back, not GLIT. I must of looked at thousands of different buttons/tokens and coins to try and match it. Perhaps I will never know.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors