Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nhbenz

Thread: A Not so Flat~ Flat Spoon

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

A Not so Flat~ Flat Spoon

This spoon is marked "Imperial" I think it is brass, not sure, my question is Why is the spoon part so flat? You couldn't eat soup with a spoon this flat. Now I am sure someone will say it just got flatten out, but it just doesn't look like it ever had any debth to it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9316.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	744078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9318.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	744079 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9319.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	744080 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9320.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	744081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9326.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	228.6 KB 
ID:	744083

I also found this spoon, which also doesn't look like an everyday type of flatware. Any idea what this is for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9181.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	744084 (Talking about the spoon on the left) Sorry I don't have a better photo of it. The rusted out one... now that looks like a normal spoon minus the fact that part of it is missing!

I am digging in the woods in East Texas (12 Miles of mostly woods) I am in Franklin County Texas on a private ranch. There was one homestead here in the early 1900's. I was told that there may have been a moonshine operation in a specific area here, but after 6 months of detecting, I see no proof of that. I found an area where I believe I have found a second and even a third homestead, but I can only base that on my findings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN9324.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	744082  

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern tier of New York
    bounty hunter
    76 times
    Alot of times back then, folks had to just use what they already had. It wouldn't be difficult at all to flatten a soft metal spoon. In fact, you could probably form it back into spoon form with only your fingers.

us
    Beep beep 'm beep beep Yeah

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    726 times
    Although it may be a flattened spoon, which some folks do to make wind chimes, etc. I think your item was a pie/cake server, essentially similar to the below. It was likely silver plated (now worn off), and what your seeing is copper, as copper is a common connective media for silver, and copper silverware (and utensils) weren't common at the time this was made, which I'd guess to be roughly in the 30's (someone could likely confirm or correct that). RARE ANTIQUE Wm ROGERS "LILY" PIE SERVER 1800's
    Last edited by nhbenz; Feb 19, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    wvwildman likes this.
    Former Caveman... my brain shrunk.

us
    Sep 2009
    Southern tier of New York
    bounty hunter
    76 times
    That could be it. Most pie servers I've seen have more of a tapered point.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Cindy,I cant tell you why but its not uncommon,I have a whole box of them flattened?There is a reason I am sure.In your photo of the two pieces,the one on the left appears to be Pewter,that is a good "indicator",they pre date the 1860's
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

us
    Beep beep 'm beep beep Yeah

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    726 times
    It is entirely possible that I was wrong about it being a pie server. Spoons do get flattened for all sorts of decorations, from wind chimes as I mentioned above, to decorative plant markers, chandelier decor, to jewelry like the bracelet here; Sterling Silver Spoon Bracelet Lily of the by ResurrectionSilver
    Being that there's no hole in the end of it, I guess it wasn't meant to hang on anything, so?
    Former Caveman... my brain shrunk.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    ......there is another reason,the ones I have found the guys likely didnt have pie,and I know for sure didnt have wind chimes.Those would be great uses though!!!
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbenz View Post
    It is entirely possible that I was wrong about it being a pie server. Spoons do get flattened for all sorts of decorations, from wind chimes as I mentioned above, to decorative plant markers, chandelier decor, to jewelry like the bracelet here; Sterling Silver Spoon Bracelet Lily of the by ResurrectionSilver
    Being that there's no hole in the end of it, I guess it wasn't meant to hang on anything, so?
    Yes, the no hole would be a good indication that it wasn't meant to hang! Thanks for your feedback and for giving me some ideas!

Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHUNT View Post
    That could be it. Most pie servers I've seen have more of a tapered point.
    I agree, plus this is more the size of a tea spoon, so it would be rather small for that purpose. Thanks for commenting!

Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kuger View Post
    Cindy,I cant tell you why but its not uncommon,I have a whole box of them flattened?There is a reason I am sure.In your photo of the two pieces,the one on the left appears to be Pewter,that is a good "indicator",they pre date the 1860's
    Thanks Kuger! I am glad someone else has some flat spoons!!!! I didn't think it was made into something, but who ever knows! Also thanks for the info on the pewter spoon! I love finding old things!!! thanks again for all your help.

us
    Dec 2012
    South Dakota
    197 times
    I was told onetime by an old gent. that a flat spoon was the right tool for emergencies such as cauterizing a deep wound. If you or your horse needed it, you would heat up the flat spoon to red hot and apply it to the injury! YeeHaa!
    Ya went an dunnit that time pilgrim!

Charter Member
    us
    Cindy

Mar 2011
    WI
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
    84 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleopilot View Post
    I was told onetime by an old gent. that a flat spoon was the right tool for emergencies such as cauterizing a deep wound. If you or your horse needed it, you would heat up the flat spoon to red hot and apply it to the injury! YeeHaa!
    I'd rather eat icecream with a fork! LOL

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors