what is it? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    us
    Dec 2004
    Long Island New York
    White's XLT
    24 times

Re: what is it?

A female hand, restraints and a paddle. Just where are you going with this Michelle?

kenb

Feb 2006
    Minelab Explorer ll
    33 times

Folks, I don't know what it is. Here's a few retouched photos that may bring out some detail for ya
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kapowsin13.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	113428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kapowsin3.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	113430  
    Holding history in our hands is a treasure in itself.
                             ~Minelab EXll~

Quote Originally Posted by PBK
    Quote Originally Posted by dugfinds
    I said it looks more like a cricket bat. (Than a chisel) Not that it is one.
    So you did.

However, Tyre Kicker said...

Quote Originally Posted by tyre kicker
    Definitely a cricket bat
    That's because if you look at the handle it's notched into the blade the same as a cricket bat.

Name:	Blade.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	113433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handle.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	113434  
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Cricket Bat it is............This medal is dated 1892.. Guess the patients at the assylum played Cricket....Why Not

Name:	bat33.jpg 
Views:	606 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	113460  
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by kenb
    A female hand, resraints and a paddle. Just where are you going with this Michelle?

kenb
    Did I say that? Came out the wrong way...Anyway maybe it IS a womans cricket badge
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Jun 2006
    St Petersburg, Florida
    Tesoro Tiger Shark

so is it a really really small cricket bat or a really really big hand??
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Face down in the dirt  this doesnt hurt

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

Seems to be as most medals or medallions that it is proportioned to the hand ... being it was made in the late 1890's maybe the perfection wasnt quite there...Just a guess but maybe it is a childs cricket badge/bat

PBK

May 2005
    209 times

Like MechTech, I'd like to know why the hand is several sizes too large— or the cricket bat several sizes too small.

And I'd also (still) like to know why the bat is being grasped upside down, by the blade instead of the handle. Is the Jolly Green Giant taking it away from Sir Don Bradman, or what?

These aren't exactly minor details.

However, if it is a cricket badge of some sort, there should be other badges showing reasonably similar designs: giant hand holding bat by the blade, etc.— but I haven't seen and can't find any.

Time for me to sit back and watch someone else take a whack at this one!

us
    Jun 2006
    Minnesota
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle
    Seems to be as most medals or medallions that it is proportioned to the hand ... being it was made in the late 1890's maybe the perfection wasnt quite there...Just a guess but maybe it is a childs cricket badge/bat

Uh, many things made in the 1800's were made better than they are now, so I don't believe that is the case. That being said, the "bat", doesn't look right to me. It's shaped more like a sword, or knife to me.

John

history.hunter

Ok, I still think that is a womans hand. I don't think that is a bat of any kind. Why would anything be made depicting the improper hand hold on a bat. That being said. What would a woman hold like that? You would think the hand would be holding the small handle if that were the way it was supposed to be gripped.

us
    Oct 2006
    Bama
    White's DFX
    13 times
    Banner Finds (1)

And I'd also (still) like to know why the bat is being grasped upside down, by the blade instead of the handle. Is the Jolly Green Giant taking it away from Sir Don Bradman, or what?
    Ditto PBK. Well said.

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    59 times

Chalice? Powder Flask?

us
    Jan 2006
    Washington State
    Garrett GTAX 550. Garrett Pro Pointer
    2 times

Chalise or flask? Sorry, it is pressed brass or copper. This is a back view

Name:	scan0003.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	113543  

dugupfinds

Like MechTech, I'd like to know why the hand is several sizes too large— or the cricket bat several sizes too small.

These aren't exactly minor details.

However, if it is a cricket badge of some sort, there should be other badges showing reasonably similar designs: giant hand holding bat by the blade, etc.— but I haven't seen and can't find any.

Time for me to sit back and watch someone else take a whack at this one!

Heres my whack:

Although I said I didn't say it IS one;

What does it look like other than the bat, which I suggested was a closer match than a chisel.

Firstly not everything that was made in the past makes sense to us now & it doen't need to be logical. It could have any number of hidden meanings. I know this from my extensive research of Saxon objects.

What tool/item do you hold in that manner which looks like the item in the picture? (I suggest none)

Tyre-Kicker has shown one feature of the picture which is identical. Another three is the early string grip, the curved end of the bat, and the handle which is in the right proportion to the bat. Thats 4 identical features.

Can onyone come up with a better match?

This is my theory:

Now that I have seen the reverse, I think it attached to the wooden base of a trophy. I have seen many similar shaped press brass attachments.

The over sized hand holding the bat up in victory.

My fiance's theory about the size of the hand is that it symbolised the skill of the team rather than the tool (?)

Where are peoples suggestion for what the hand is holding? (other than a Fraternity paddleby Angelo, which I quite like) Instead of saying what it isn't.

PBK

May 2005
    209 times

I have never said that the item in the hand did not in the least resemble a cricket bat— obviously it does, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. What I have said is that the sizes of the two appear highly disproportionate, and that grasping the bat by the blade rather than the handle seems odd as well.

If it is indeed cricket-related, then perhaps someone at the following organization can confirm that identification and provide photographic proof in the form of a similar or identical "large hand & cricket bat" symbol:

http://cricketmemorabilia.org/Officials.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links