Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 1 Post By parsonwalker
  • 2 Post By parsonwalker

Thread: Totally flummuxed - found in Confederate lines

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    1,401
    2299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Totally flummuxed - found in Confederate lines

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2180195.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	827622Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2180193.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	827623Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2180190.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	827625
    Made of lead, two stars - round with rectangle hole, about the size of a penny. Anybody have a clue??

  2. #2
    Educator

    Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    5,607
    8295 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your find is the blown-out center part of a yankee Bormann fuze, used in cannonballs. I'm sure it is from a yankee-made one because no Confederate-made Bormann fuzes had a star marking -- which in this case denotes the specific Arsenal which manufactured that fuze. It is believed to be the Frankford Arsenal, in Pennsylvania.

    By the way, Parsonwalker, welcome to TreasureNet's What-Is-It forum, the best place on the internet for getting accurate identification (and accurate time-dating) of unknown objects. I remember you from another civil war relic-hunting forum.
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Jul 13, 2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added the welcome.
    kuger, yelnif, mical66 and 1 others like this.

  3. #3

    Nov 2012
    Stafford,Virginia
    Fisher 1266x and a shovel
    2,849
    1283 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Walker- I responded too your question in the Civil War thread on Speed Laces that know one answered!

  4. #4
    us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    1,401
    2299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Thanks Hut! I appreciate it, and really enjoy seeing what you uncover. Cannonball guy - my first thought was some kind of fuse part, but I had never seen anything like that, especially without any threads. An unexploded Bormann was found on this farm 30 years ago and lots of frags over the years. Thank you SO much - very cool to have such specific info!! Long live T-net!
    mical66 likes this.

  5. #5
    us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    1,401
    2299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    Your find is the blown-out center part of a yankee Bormann fuze, used in cannonballs. I'm sure it is from a yankee-made one because no Confederate-made Bormann fuzes had a star marking -- which in this case denotes the specific Arsenal which manufactured that fuze. It is believed to be the Frankford Arsenal, in Pennsylvania.

    By the way, Parsonwalker, welcome to TreasureNet's What-Is-It forum, the best place on the internet for getting accurate identification (and accurate time-dating) of unknown objects. I remember you from another civil war relic-hunting forum.
    And thanks for the welcome CBGuy!

  6. #6
    us
    Mar 2013
    ne okla
    Tesoro vaquero
    369
    125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hello parsonwalker, and a big YAH HOOOOO! you lucky dog - you are on a battlefield- how does it feel? congrats!!! and welcome to the forum.

    HH, yelnif

    Quote Originally Posted by parsonwalker View Post
    Thanks Hut! I appreciate it, and really enjoy seeing what you uncover. Cannonball guy - my first thought was some kind of fuse part, but I had never seen anything like that, especially without any threads. An unexploded Bormann was found on this farm 30 years ago and lots of frags over the years. Thank you SO much - very cool to have such specific info!! Long live T-net!
    Last edited by yelnif; Jul 14, 2013 at 02:57 AM.

  7. #7
    us
    Feb 2013
    Virginia
    Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s) Metrotech (In the 70s) Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
    1,401
    2299 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by yelnif View Post
    Hello parsonwalker, and a big YAH HOOOOO! you lucky dog - you are on a battlefield- how does it feel? congrats!!! and welcome to the forum.

    HH, yelnif
    It's pretty sweet. This place has been hunted hard over the years, but the trenches and rifle pits are secluded and well clear of farming or development, so they are in pristine condition. Even finding only a few relics, to walk in those earthworks is pretty humbling.
    mical66 and yelnif like this.

  8. #8

    Jul 2012
    Greeneville , TN
    728
    220 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by parsonwalker View Post
    It's pretty sweet. This place has been hunted hard over the years, but the trenches and rifle pits are secluded and well clear of farming or development, so they are in pristine condition. Even finding only a few relics, to walk in those earthworks is pretty humbling.
    very well said, where as i would love to find a area to find some arties , it gives me more respect to think on what you said about CW battle fields, humbling indeed to think that what we find today very well had something to do with causing the last moments of some ones lives .

    also welcome to T Net.

  9. #9
    us
    Mar 2013
    ne okla
    Tesoro vaquero
    369
    125 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by parsonwalker View Post
    It's pretty sweet. This place has been hunted hard over the years, but the trenches and rifle pits are secluded and well clear of farming or development, so they are in pristine condition. Even finding only a few relics, to walk in those earthworks is pretty humbling.
    As it should be- respectfully.

    Also congrats to CBG on another iron clad ID, you know your stuff.

    HH, yelnif

 

 

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 53
    Last Post: Oct 27, 2011, 07:41 AM
  2. 2nd day in Louisiana behind confederate lines
    By cwdigger in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2009, 09:49 PM
  3. My 2nd day in Louisiana behind confederate lines
    By dragon6banger in forum Today's Finds!
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb 19, 2009, 07:05 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Feb 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0