Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Metal Flower thingy

I dug this up today at the farm property I've been searching. It is metal, about 3" tall, painted (old), and has designs on the top and side petals. I did not see any word on it anywhere.
    Any idea what this is?
    Thanks,
    MM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	114000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-002S.JPG 
Views:	311 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	114001   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG 
Views:	309 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	114002   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-004S.JPG 
Views:	316 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	114003  
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

Sep 2004
    clarkston,wa.
    2 times

Re: Metal Flower thingy

Table lamp base.Lamp post was in large hole,and the switch was in the small hole.
    Nautilus DMC IIBa

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by junkdigger
    Table lamp base.Lamp post was in large hole,and the switch was in the small hole.
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

us
    Oct 2006
    2514 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Lamp base

TreasureTales

Hmmm, seems too small to be a lamp base IMO. It might help if we knew which metal it is. Does a magnet stick to it? Brass is seldom painted. Tin was often painted. This thing appears to have a thick coating of paint, so perhaps it's tin?

The leaves are stylized acanthus leaves--a common design in old furniture and architecture.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    103 times
    Banner Finds (1)

I also think it was a lamp base... probably holding a hurricane style globe?

I'm off to look for examples.

Maybe that's not a "switch hole" but a "match" hole? Hold the match through that hole to light a candle or better yet, a wick?

Jan 2007
    5 times

looks like it could be part of a ceiling fixture for a light bulb? and the hole might be where the pull chain was located for turning the light on or off?

us
    Dec 2004
    Troy X5
    50 times

CEILING LAMP
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal then others. -George Orwell

TreasureTales

The kerosene lamps that I've seen had chimney supports that had a slot in the center for the flat wick that went from the base (kerosene reservoir) to the glass chimney where the flame burned. This item doesn't have a slot, it has a round opening. However, I think some wick was in fact round. So a chimney support may be the answer?

The thing I'm trying to describe is right in the center of the lamp. It supports the glass chimney.

After posting this, I still don't think the thing in question is part of a kerosene lamp, or a table lamp. It is painted and brass isn't painted normally. Is it brass or tin? Will a magnet stick to it?

I tried a magnet, and it DOES stick to the piece.
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

TreasureTales

Quote Originally Posted by ModernMiner
    I tried a magnet, and it DOES stick to the piece.
    -MM-
    AHA!!! So it could be iron, brass, or tin. Ugh, that doesn't narrow it down at all, does it!? Dang. Where is PBK? He'd know what it is I betcha.

Jan 2007
    5 times

maybe it could be the base for a wall light or porch light fixture?

us
    Mechelle

May 2006
    6 times

http://www.acrosstheboardwoodwork.co..._murphy_la.htm

You Get an idea of what it is....Check out the sight and you can order parts to restore it....
    So many tangles in life are so ultimately hopeless that there is no appropriate sword,other than laughter.......

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links