Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2004
    Rhode Island
    159 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Need help from the bullet experts!

With the ground here frozen, I hit the local city park beach yesterday. This park dates back to the early 1800s, when it was private property belonging to a prominent local family, who donated it to the city at one point. Along with some clad, 3 wheaties and lots of cool seaglass, I found an old looking bullet. Can anyone help me as to age range, and what it might have been fired from? Pics are the best I could do, as the closeup on my digital hasn't worked right since I dropped it a while back. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet1.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	114826   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet2.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	114827   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet3.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	114828  

Sep 2004
    clarkston,wa.
    2 times

Re: Need help from the bullet experts!

Treasurekidd, I took measurements off the screen here,and that bullet seems to be about .370-.375 diameter. With the hollow base and the length of the bullet I'd guess it was fired from any of several black powder rifle cartridges of the late 1800's. But there were also a number of revolver cartridges of that diameter. It's hard to tell without micrometer measurements and bullet weight in grains. Definitely post Civil war though.
    Nautilus DMC IIBa

Jan 2006
    3 times

My guess would be a .41 Long Colt,introduced 1877 ,obsoleted in the 1920s.My guess is based on the scale of the bullet against the dime,the style matches the profile of a .41 Long Colt in my collection,and they used a hollow based bullet.Positive identification would require accurate measurements.

hasbeen

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    132 times
    Banner Finds (1)

My guess is a .38 spl. 148 or 158 gr. hollow base round nose with one crimping groove. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Nov 2004
    Rhode Island
    159 times

Thanks guys! That's about what I was thinking age-wise. I really appreciate the info!

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11392 times
    Metal Detecting

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballist...il.aspx?id=225

Speer 158 Gr .38 Round nose. 1950 to yesterday.

The gnurled channelure indicates it is swaged and not cast. Probably post WW2 production in most lead bullets.

America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    132 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Charley, you can still buy those bullets but they lead up your barrel pretty bad as they are swaged from pure lead wire. They come in 158 and 148 grain (same as the watcutter). I was thinking the lighter bullet since. the crimping groove is so close to the base. I haven't reloaded that bullet in a long time. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11392 times
    Metal Detecting

You're probably right. The hollow base would lighten it up. I never shoot/shot round nosed. Threw lots of the mid-range hollow-based wadcutters or Keith style SWC at silhouettes when I shot PPC with our local Sheriff's Dept. As you say, leading with them is fierce if you push them much.

Haven't been any shootings or murders at that park in the recent past have there? Could be evidence.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links