Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Feb 2004
    8 times

Re: Pistol my dad found long ago

Viper,

I had an afterthought about the found colt. It would be interesting to me to know if any of the cylinders were fired or unfired.

OB

Jan 2005
    kansas city/ osceola missouri
    garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba
    3 times

Paterson colts had no trigger guard.

sounder

Very cool find!!!!

sounder

Jul 2006
    Germany
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by OldBillinUT
    Viper,

I had an afterthought about the found colt. It would be interesting to me to know if any of the cylinders were fired or unfired.

OB
    The cylinders that I saw appeared to be fired.. thats the first thing I checked. At least they appeared to be fired. The pistol is kind of rusty, as you can see I didn't see any percussion caps on the rear of the cylinders. I don't know much about these OLD weapons. My dad just saw it, no metal detector or anything like that. Could of been a farmers maybe?? Its a pretty cool piece of history thats for sure

Jan 2007
    Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by viper771
    The other one prob is a repo.. the repo one had some ships engraved on the chamber.. thanks for the info! I wish the dug up one was in better shape. I wonder how it ended up in a field? I figured someone was on a horse and it fell out while travling. Thanks again for the info!!
    Might have a look at this site... http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/CC/lnc1.html You might not have a repo gun...

COLT REVOLVERS. The first practical revolving-cylinder handgun was invented in 1831 by Samuel Colt of Hartford, Connecticut, and patented on February 25, 1836, the year of the Texas Revolution.qv Texas became a proving ground and nearly the only market for Colt's revolutionary product. Colt provided the struggling republic and frontier state with the increased firepower necessary to defend and advance itself. Colt revolvers were manufactured first in 1837 at Paterson, New Jersey, by the Patent Arms Manufacturing Company. Three principal variations of these five-shot Paterson Colt handguns were produced: the .28 caliber Pocket model, the .31 caliber Belt model, and the .36 caliber Holster model. The Republic of Texasqv ordered 180 of the .36 caliber Holster model revolvers for its navy in August 1839. Numbers of these rather delicate arms were issued to various Texas warships and served well in engagements against Mexico over the next four years. Colt was so pleased by the Texas purchase and with the performance of his product that he engraved the scene of the victorious naval battle fought off Campeche on May 16, 1843, by the Texas Navyqv on the cylinders of the 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, and 1861 Navy model Colts (in all, nearly 500,000 revolvers).

Jan 2007
    Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by flip
    Paterson colts had no trigger guard.
    Although Colt's Paterson enterprise failed in 1842 because of inadequate sales, his early revolvers had won the devotion of frontier Texans, particularly those of the ranger force. Appropriately, it was a former Texas Ranger, Samuel H. Walker, who in conjunction with the demands of the Mexican War, put Colt back in business to stay. In November 1846 Captain Walker, then of the United States Mounted Riflemen, opened negotiations with Colt for the production of 1,000 improved revolvers. Familiar with the shortcomings of the Paterson arm, Walker specified a substantial new design incorporating a fixed trigger with guard and a loading lever beneath the nine-inch barrel.

Jul 2006
    Germany
    3 times

WOW thanks for the info wildfirefighter! That is amazing. It would be cool if it isn't a repo. The pistol is in great shape. A lot of the ones are hunting rifles (my dad hunted in his youth), but some are Pre WW1 rifles, some ww2, and a few black powder rifles he built. Before I joined the army I got a C&R license to buy surplus rifles off the internet. I collect just about everything hehe. Thanks again for the info everyone!

UPDATE: I was looking at a couple other picts I have of the rusty pistol. The barrel is octagon. The better looking pistol has a round barrel.

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Very cool pistols! Having fallen from a horse rider/cowboy sounds very probable. Sent you a PM. HH, Mike

Jul 2006
    Georgia
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
    1 times

It looks to me like a Colt Navy. I have a reprodution of one. During the Civil War the Confederacy preferred the Navy due to the fact that it was partly made of brass. Steel was hard to come by so it was only used when absolutely necessary. This and the caliber size made it very popular with many Confederate Officers. Originally the cylinder would have been engraved with a naval battle scene.

Jul 2006
    Germany
    3 times

WOW thats cool! Now I need to go home and check out the pistols more closely and give an update

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links