Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By detectorboy552
  • 3 Post By tamrock

Thread: Pocket Watch Case?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jul 2012
    13 times

Pocket Watch Case?

The Hallmark inside is a lion facing to the left, I have researched it and it seems to be a mark for Sterling. The object was originally brown, almost looked as if it were copper when I pulled it out of the ground. I figured it was junk until I researched the hallmark. I began polishing and it's turning silver colored, and it is shining. Any opinions or information would be appreciated.

~Hayden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1569143318.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	412.8 KB 
ID:	917736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-171424662.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	917737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-616048386.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	511.4 KB 
ID:	917738  
    River Rat likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    2404 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    A rampant lion is the English mark for sterling but it is always used in conjunction with a letter mark for the date, another mark for the city it was assayed in, and usually a fourth mark for the maker. Your lion doesn't look rampant, and the lack of other marks beside it make me believe it is in fact not silver. Many watch cases in a silver color were nickel, or german silver, also known as white brass. German silver has no silver in it. The lion is probably a logo for the company that made the watch case.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

Charter Member
    us
    Chronic Patriot/Metal Detecting,it`s My Lifestyle !

Jul 2010
    "Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territory of The Six Nations 1779.. now in Catlin N.Y.
    Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer Tesoro Tejon, Land or Sea Pointer, Garrett Pointer, King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA Lesche 28" Ground Shark Treasure Wise Diggers
    5356 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I`v been detecting for 49 years owned my own detector shop G.A.P. Metal Detectors here in N.Y.
    See my old adds in Western & Eastern Treasures and Lost Treasure Magazines through the 90s
    I hunt the Sullivan Trail here in N.Y.
    "Success is just Rented, Never Owned and the Rent is due Daily"
    "Its the Golden Rule who ever has the Gold Rules"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqdSl2jFjlE

Jul 2012
    13 times
    Thanks for the info, hope I can find the other half to it this Spring. It was one of the strange things I have found in my yard. HH
    ~Hayden

us
    Sep 2010
    Groveland, CA
    441 times
    Kind of big for a pocket watch. Could it be a ladies compact?

ca
    Sep 2008
    Grande Prairie, AB
    MXT, Sovereign GT, CTX 3030
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by calisdad View Post
    Kind of big for a pocket watch. Could it be a ladies compact?
    I agree. The shape and type of hinge lends itself more towards a compact than a pocket watch. The flat interior rim looks just like so many other compacts that have a mirror inserted there......

Jul 2012
    13 times
    That's what I had originally thought, but I had found parts to a pocket watch in the same general area in my yard which lead me to believe it was for the pocket watch. The size of the case and the size of the watch parts are close to equal. But considering I do not have the entire watch I can't really conclude that it is indeed a case for the watch. Here is a pic of them together.

Name:	image-3683599617.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	445.3 KB 
ID:	918132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3540170258.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	466.4 KB 
ID:	918131  

donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1971 times
    Relic Hunting

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    16155 times
    It may be more of a antique travel clock if it doesn't fall in the measurement of a 16 or 18 size pocket watch. The movement or what's left of it, don't appear to be the plates of a nicely or even a modestly made jeweled pocket watch movement, but more like a small clock movement?

us
    Oct 2012
    Ms Gulf Coast
    Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
    7 times
    I have collected a few pocket watches over the years and have read about them quite a bit. If you google English Fusee, you may find something on your watch. The Fusee was a large pocket watch. I have a smaller watch that has the same shield that appears in the center of the piece on your fingers in the photo and that shield seems to be used a lot. that said the face and works generally would have the makers name case usually has watch makers marks inside the inner
    cover left by those who had worked on the watch. That's my tidbit I can contribute. I would think if that much was there there could be more unless the owner was tinkering with it and then tossed it.

Quote Originally Posted by detectorboy552 View Post
    That's what I had originally thought, but I had found parts to a pocket watch in the same general area in my yard which lead me to believe it was for the pocket watch. The size of the case and the size of the watch parts are close to equal. But considering I do not have the entire watch I can't really conclude that it is indeed a case for the watch. Here is a pic of them together.

us
    Ben from NH, the Z means nothing

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    5888 times
    Below the lion I can see a serial number, and below that (close to the hinge) I'm sure I see lettering and a possible logo of sorts. I don't think it would hurt it any to clean up that area and see what's there. Butch is on to something with the fusee suggestion from what I see online.
    I believe there is also a letter N up above the lion, for what that's worth
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    16155 times
    Indeed! It very well could be a larger English lever escapement, fusee. The plates were mounted to 3 pillars at one time on that watch and small clock movements are constructed the same way. As for that hallmark just a lion without the English city & date hallmarks could still mean it's a silver mark from some other country like Austria, Lithuania...Who know? Gorham silver from Rhode Island used a lion on some silver. The Chinese I think even used a lion on some silver as it was internationally known as a mark for silver. The case cover does have a serial number and that I would say is something you find on most well made cases, plus I see some worn fancy engraving on it, that also found on good cases. I would have the case cover tested for being silver.

Name:	watch parts.jpg 
Views:	1280 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	919462  

us
    Oct 2012
    Ms Gulf Coast
    Whites Gold Master, Whites Coin Master. Whites M6
    7 times
    http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/to...elp-please.htm

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 9 10 silver 007.JPG 
Views:	754 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	919484

This watch posted in 09 on treasurenet has engraving much like yours. I think the size of yours isn't to large to be an American pocket watch case. The one posted is clearly marked sterling. Unfortunately most of the information about watches appears on the finger bridge which is missing.

Jul 2012
    13 times
    Thanks for all of the suggestions and Information. It is very similar to designs I have seen when looking up fusee. I will also try to have it tested and keep posted.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links