Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    49 times

Re: continental counterfeit

incredible find! for sure, get it certified.
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by GTI2000
    Im only posting this coin after reading about the 1876 trade dollar I found this coin on an old homestead back in 1999 in eastern oregon i have taken this coin to 5 coin dealers all agreed the coin is pewter and they all said it was fake but the lowest offer made on the coin was $3200. 1 of the dealers did walk me to the car with $5000. in hand did not want me to leave.. i have never showed the coin again till now. Is it just a good collectable counterfeit or??.
    Whatever it is, I wouldn't be in any hurry to sell it. And as far as it possibly being made from pewter, the quote below addresses that.
    Quotes from: http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...tal_dollar.htm
    "Patterns, using designs provided by Benjamin Franklin, were struck in Pewter, Brass, and Silver."

"Coinage began in secret, pending the hoped for loan of silver from France, these were struck primarily in tin, a few in brass, copper and even a silver example or two are known."

More on this coin:
    http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColC...-Dollar.1.html
    I can't tell from the pictures whether your coin has the added engraver's "signature," EG FECIT, as mentioned here:
    http://www.coinresource.com/guide/photograde/pg_$1Continental.htm

Additional information on the pages linked to above might help, but as others have said, getting it authenticated is the only real way to know for sure.

F.

Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

Dec 2006
    Lansdowne, Pa
    4 times

yeah,its a replica, i saw over 5 at a coin shop. he was selling them for $2.

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    56 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

A Fake of a Fake, Now I'm confused.
    But I will say that I dont mind a coin dealer making a 10% profit if he hooks me up with a buyer that pays market value,(wish I had somthing like that to sell) but to be taken for anything more than that and not lay all the cards on the table is Stealing in my opinion.If that dealer was honest, and up front he could have snaged 500.00 or more, Cash, for getting you a buyer, what a greedy dummy.
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Mar 2007
    Terrebonne,Oregon
    Garrett GTI2000
    10 times

Well after contacting several coin certification places they all wanted $900-$1200 to look at the coin to determine if it was real, I would also have to become a member $199 and if it was real pay an additional $100 for cleaning and certification!. If it was fake im out $1500... no thanks...

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    56 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Like I said, coin dealers=GREEDY DUMMIES, Likley if it was dug its real, maybe a coin forum can help.
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Oct 2006
    Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
    Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
    122 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

I wish you the best of luck with it. There's a few on here that just know it's a fake but if it were me and I didn't have to have $5000. right now I would be putting it in a safety deposit box till I figured out what my next move was. Sorry, I just had to put my 2 cents worth in too!!!
    Disclaimer: The views or opinions of this patient are not necessarily the same as those held by the owners or staff of this facility.
    He sometimes escapes his padded cell. If this patient is contacting you against your wishes please tell him to discontinue immediately.
    Signed, Dr. Ima Quack

Lindenmeier sEEker

Apr 2006
    El Paso, TX
    Flippin Stick n good luck :)
    91 times
    Banner Finds (2)

pcgs was 100.00 to join about 2 years ago and that included 5 free gradings, they are one of the best out there, you can even walk in, i would cause i wouldnt want my coin in the mail and also i would wanna watch those peoples hands very carefully.
    http://www.miniclip.com/games/motherload/en/

us
    Mar 2007
    Terrebonne,Oregon
    Garrett GTI2000
    10 times

They offer a $199 membership with 8 gradings, Because its a colonial it's a different story and they now send all foreign and colonial coins elsewhere.they asked me what kind it was and that puts the coin in a $300,000 range and costs more to look at it!!.. It currently resides in the bank vault again..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links