Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Mar 2007
    Terrebonne,Oregon
    Garrett GTI2000
    10 times

continental counterfeit

Im only posting this coin after reading about the 1876 trade dollar I found this coin on an old homestead back in 1999 in eastern oregon i have taken this coin to 5 coin dealers all agreed the coin is pewter and they all said it was fake but the lowest offer made on the coin was $3200. 1 of the dealers did walk me to the car with $5000. in hand did not want me to leave.. i have never showed the coin again till now. Is it just a good collectable counterfeit or??.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0520.JPG 
Views:	864 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	120246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0519.JPG 
Views:	853 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	120247  

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    105 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: continental counterfeit

Um... good thing you kept it!!!

Quote from site I added below:

"Significant examples:
    In the February 2005 issue of NUMISMATIST (page 63), William Anton offered a 1776 Brass Continental Dollar for $375,000.00, describing it as follows: "Breathtaking Gem Uncirculated. Finest known."

Now... your's is NOT an example of the finest known, but these are going for way WAY more than 5,000.

Read this site: http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_co...tal_dollar.htm

Good luck, keep it locked up... until you know for sure (which frankly it sounds like you know...)

Attached Images Attached Images   

us
    Mar 2007
    central ohio
    MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
    13 times
    Metal Detecting

Nice coin!!
    May be worth it to try and have certified.IF A DEALER IS OFFERING THAT MUCH IT HAS TO BE WORTH SOMETHING!!!!!!!!
    teverly

May 2006
    Seacoast, New Hampshire

I would have it certified by one of the "big three" coin grading companies. THink about it, why would a dealer offer $5k for fake coin. They know something you don't...

us
    Dec 2006
    NEPA
    Tejon, Cibola, T2
    882 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

It has the appearance of being cast, genuine ones were all struck. Perhaps this could be the result of being buried, but it really looks cast. What does the edge look like?

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11462 times
    Metal Detecting

But don't you have to go through a dealer (or two) to send a coin for grading?

America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    105 times
    Banner Finds (1)

It's either real...

Or a 5000.00 fake

Either way... holy crap!

Maybe a "Best Find" even though you've had it for a while...

Mar 2006
    Idaho
    4 times

Nice going Montana Jim! (you probably will not hear that too often . I guess I'm just in a complimenting mood today.

Tony

Oct 2004
    Oxford,Alabama
    2 times

This site tells you how to get coin certified.

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/
    CZ-5
    Oxford,Al
        or
    Lickskillet,Al

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    169 times

I agree with the consensus. If you think you have the real Mc Coy have it certified. There have been an incredible number of reproductions made so certification is necessary. Here is a reproduction on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CONTINEN...QQcmdZViewItem

Condition dictates that you found this coin above ground?

Good Luck on the value
    George

Jul 2006
    Jamestown, NY
    White's XLT

Anyone else notice that there seems to be an "R" missing in the word "CURRENCY"?

Is this a common fake, or original error?

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    105 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by desecrator
    Anyone else notice that there seems to be an "R" missing in the word "CURRENCY"?

The fake on e-bay also shows one "R"... Good eye desecrator!

The original I posted has two "R"s...

Back to the drawing board..?

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    169 times

quote author=desecrator link=topic=74172.msg540165#msg540165 date=1173385760]

[/quote]

Both variations in spelling are found in the original and later reproductions of this coin.

I originally gave a test for pewter here but have since learned that these coins were actually classified as tin (95% tin) and not actual pewter as seen in this reference. Perhaps the test would be invalid? Here is a variety with only one R.

http://www.rcw1.com/m/product_info.p...83ceca1786f0f7

George

Odds on favorite a reproduction for several reasons, where found, odds against, and matches a cast reproduction.

Wish it were a real one for you but my gut says, repro and not worth much at all.

The following is quoted from "FAQ: The Continental "Dollar" on the ND site.

These coins are quite rare. Originals are valued at between $1,000 (in poorer condition) to about $15,000 is excellent condition. However, many reproductions and replicas have been made over the years for collectors; these reproductions have little or no market value. Some are sold for $1.00 as souvenirs at colonial sites as in Williamsburg, VA. The replicas have exactly the same markings as the originals but they are of a different metal (usually tin or lead) and have a different weight. Several, but not all replicas, are slightly smaller in diameter than the originals.

If you would like to determine if your coin is a rare original you should contact the American Numismatic Association. They provide an authentication service. Their site is located on the web at:

A company providing a grading service is the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS). They will attribute and grade colonial coins. Their services and prices are listed on the web at:

http://pcgs.com/

I should caution you I have 2-3 requests per week from individuals who think they have original "Continental Dollars." Statistically, based on the rarity of original examples and the large quantity of replicas, it is probable your coin may be a copy. Varieties with both the correct spelling (Currency) and the misspellings (Curency and Currencey) have been extensively copied.

(End of ND site text)

Another word of caution on coin dealers, a lot of "coin dealers" are clueless on identifying Colonial era coins, including some of the nationally known attribution companies.
    They may be experts on modern coinage but the knowledge base on Colonials is limited and I suggest contacting a member of the Colonial Coin Collectors Club to get the most accurate information on any colonial era coin.

Don

"The mantra has always been don't clean a (copper) coin or it will lose value.
    For undug coins this is true. For dug coins this is untrue.
    The value will increase with judicious cleaning."

us
    Dec 2006
    NEPA
    Tejon, Cibola, T2
    882 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

If you want to have it professionally checked for your own peace of mind go ahead, but it is one of the thousands of cheap cast copies sold as souvenirs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links