Rail road tag?? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    269 times

Re: Rail road tag??

Frances Hearne, who married her cousin George Washington Hearne, lived in Hearne where she and her husband owned the first hotel to be erected in the town. This hotel was located on the corner of Market and Barton Streets. George Washington Hearne was a great hunter and through this skill provided the fresh meat for his hotel.
    The house that I pictured is the house that sits there now and was the site of the former hotel....I thought that was the hotel you were looking for......
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Very cool find. You guys with your IDing of things never ceases to amaze me. Great job.
    -MM-
    *Oldest coin-1775 Spanish 1 real *Oldest U.S. silver-1833 Capped Bust Half Dime *Best coin - 1945 GOLD 2 1/2 peso *Best Civil War finds:*NC officers belt buckle *CSN Confederate Navy Officer button

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    7903 times
    Metal Detecting

Hey tex-connect,

The article posted by gypsyheart says the passenger depot was built in 1901. I looked at the Sanborne fire insurance maps for Hearne. Neither the Nov. 1901 nor the May 1906 map show the Union Depot. It finally appears on the 1911 map. I can't imagine that the insurance company would overlook such an important structure.

There are MANY industrial buildings, mills, and platforms along the tracks (cotton, oil, and lumber). Although if you are hunting north of the junction, that area is not covered by the maps.

I didn't find anything called Junction House. Hotels listed were Exchange (near the depot), Oriental, and Oxford (both on the other side of town). Lots of unnamed rooming houses, too. These were on the later - post 1925 map.

However, there was a Junction City lumber company on the 1896 and 1901. That is the only place I see the word Junction used.

Of course, the Sanborne maps are only a "snap shot" of that specific time. Check with the Chamber of Commerce. They may have records of a Junction House.

Have you considered that the tag came from a different city and was dropped by a passenger or RR worker? It's a mystery...

DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    269 times

LOCOMOTIVE STOLEN IN HEARNE MAY 20, 1876

A strange occurrence took place here tonight. The northbound freight train on the I. & G. N. Railroad, after Finishing work in the yard, pulled up above a crossing at the Junction House, and the train men were all at supper when some unknown party took the engine and four cars and left.

I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

Feb 2004
    Colorado
    GS5 X-5 GMT
    169 times

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyheart

A strange occurrence took place here tonight. The northbound freight train on the I. & G. N. Railroad, after Finishing work in the yard, pulled up above a crossing at the Junction House, and the train men were all at supper when some unknown party took the engine and four cars and left.

Dang it Gypsy- beat me by a minute.

However in my copy- Junction is not capitalized. Junction house is a common name for a hotel for the boarding of railroad guests. I am seeing a lot of references to Juction Houses all over the country associated with railroads. For example another here is "in 1849 as Junction House, a railroad hotel providing overnight stays" So junction Houses were common with railroads. So probably a luggage tag/room? with the junction house for Hearne Texas.
    George

A strange occurrence took place here tonight. The northbound freight train on the I. & G. N. Railroad, after Finishing work in the yard, pulled up above a crossing at the junction House, and the train men were all at supper when some unknown party took the engine and four cars and left.

The engine was followed by the engineer afoot, who found the engine two and a half miles north. The steam was shut off with 90 pounds of pressure. It was supposed that this was done to injure the company.

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    269 times

I am wondering if the Junction House in Question is actually in the railyard ...the Roundhouse
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hearne Round House.gif 
Views:	193 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	121711  

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    61 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hearne is def a round house It has a large switching yard as can be seen if you earth google it, I have also recently discovered a depot was used earlier south of the more recent one (around were the hotel at 1200 South was) but I have found No reffrenc to a Junction Hotel in Hearne in either of my history books.
    Leave no stone unturned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links