Rail road tag??
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Rail road tag??

O.k. I know its a tag but for what use? maybe a mail bag? But a junction house is a track switching shack someone worked in Right? any help would be appreiated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI00005.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	121314  
    Leave no stone unturned.

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    112 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: Rail road tag??

http://www.rootsweb.com/~txrober2/HEARNEDEPOT.htm

Maybe they can help with your find? The site has a msg board... UPDATE: Just tried the board and it's a dead link...

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Way to go Montana, I am hunting not far from that depot but I belive it was built after the first railroad and during the second (east to west) crossed it now it has been Move about 150 yds down the road (outa confuse some folks 100 yrs from now) the junction house thing is whats got me stumped.
    Leave no stone unturned.

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    272 times

Local businesses in May 1885 included two saloons, a gambling house, a grocery store, a fruit and cigar stand, a drugstore and news stand, and a dressmaker, as well as two boarding houses, two restaurants, the Mobberly Hotel, and the Junction Hotel.

Could be the Old Junction Hotel. There was an old hotel at 1200 Market street that was torn down in 1913
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    112 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by gypsyheart
    Local businesses in May 1885 included two saloons, a gambling house, a grocery store, a fruit and cigar stand, a drugstore and news stand, and a dressmaker, as well as two boarding houses, two restaurants, the Mobberly Hotel, and the Junction Hotel.

Could be the Old Junction Hotel. There was an old hotel at 1200 Market street that was torn down in 1913
    Good job Gypsy!!

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Thanks Gypsy, I'm gonna check out the junction hotel propery, this was actually found along with other things dated 1852 to 1904 at the original stage coach drop b-4 Hearne was Hearne, so it was doubtedly lost after 1868, when the first R.R came through. Much is still a mystery, my threoy is, this was the original R.R drop or Depot B-4 the other R.R crossed it (this property just dident get the Fame, which is good for me) and was built in 1901. I wonder if junction house 5's location is a key to that answer. Other dug clues have lead to this theory. If you were building a R.R would you stop 100's of yard b-4 the only structure (the stage coach drop, and certainly not knowing where the other R.R would cross 30 yrs later). Or Make that structure your H.Q.? So If I am correct, not only was this the only stage coach dorp, it was also the first train Depot.
    Leave no stone unturned.

TreasureTales

TC, I'd have to ask myself this question: would the stage horses spook when the train rolled in? If so, I wouldn't build a stage stop and a train depot at the same location.

Have you seen this website? http://www.rtis.com/hearne/HearneLocal/Attractions.htm

Your interesting find doesn't look like a key fob to me, but more like a watch fob - like for a train conductor maybe?

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    112 times
    Banner Finds (1)

The horses prolly would not have spooked... maybe once before they would get used to it.

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    272 times

I found some references to "Old Hearne".......and werent train rails laid somewhat along old wagon and stage trails? I dont think the horses would be spooked in those days either as it was the norm.

Hearne's Historic Railroad Depot was recently moved across TX 6 from where it had been for the past 100 years. Efforts are underway to transform this depot into a museum featuring exhibits about the local area as well as railroad and train memorabilia. This depot's floor plans are on file in the U.S. Library of Congress American Memory Collection.

Name:	HEARNE1.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	121438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEARNE2.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	121439  
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    272 times

and

Name:	HEARNE3.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	121440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEARNE4.gif 
Views:	328 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	121441  

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8153 times
    Metal Detecting

I like the hotel/room theory. I did a quick search on "junction house". I got several hits for boarding houses or hotels located NEAR the DEPOT back in those days.

Gypsyheart also makes a good point about the building being moved. There are many historic buildings and houses that are no longer sitting in their original spot.

DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    112 times
    Banner Finds (1)

So... maybe a room key tag for the "Junction House" boarding house?

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Hi. I went and looked at 1200 Market street (north) but havent quite pinpointed it yet (the street sign ends at 400 block), it is along hwy 6, a old texas trail (as old as you are gonna get round here) it is actually north of the 1900 depots original sight adding to my Theory of the first depot being where I have found this (and much more) Though I would bet that the actual sight of that hotel is now under hwy 6 in Hearne. The sight we are hunting has very litle trash but seems to go no further than 50 yds or so from the present tracks, I belive most of the activity was on the other side and is likely littered in modern trash and concret. But, all that being said I am leaning more to the Hotel key tag now. It is funny however that the 1900 depot has now been moved between what I believe the original R.R stop was and the later 1900 stop was.Thanks ya'll
    Leave no stone unturned.

hu

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    272 times

1200 Market St .....this was built on old hotel site about 1910-1913

Name:	1200 Market St.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	121599  

us
    wolf pack!!!

Sep 2006
    Texas
    63 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Yes Gypsy, that home is on 1200 south market street(market street is Hwy 6), we are talkin 1200 north market street google earth 1200 market street Hearne Texas then scroll north (you will also see a arrow type foundation at the train intersection where the 1900 depot was, aprox. 100 market street north) There are a few old buildings around this spot with dutch roof's and stucko siding indicating pre 1900's also one's front steps are right up agienst now hwy 6 and they use another entrance.

Thank you for your intrest Gypsy, I honestly think we have something to teach the Hearne historical society but want to hit the place a little longer first and find absolute proof of this being the real first depot, Also there is Nothing on the net about this stagecouch drop, I found its location from history books and a lot of walking. I have already proof of its being the stagecoach drop as it has a old spring surronded by brick, and have a pic of that over 40 yrs old, not to mention the 1850 coins, one that shows No wear.
    Funny (but good for us) how the more significant historical spots sometimes go overlooked while the Obvious spots get the recognition.

Almost all counties have spots like this,but most are so trash or concrete covered that it is sometimes impossible to hunt them.
    Leave no stone unturned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links