...but what kind of knife...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

...but what kind of knife...

Anyone know what kind of knife this is? The protrusions on the sides of the handle lever in but I do not know why...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mystery1.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	121894  
    Finder of Things!

TreasureTales

Re: ...but what kind of knife...

Looks like a squeeze lock. Is the blade fixed or moveable?

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8155 times
    Metal Detecting

Possibly designed to clip into the end of a pole to make it like a spear or fish gig or something?

Never seem anything like it.

DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

us
    Dec 2004
    Long Island New York
    White's XLT
    24 times

Anything stamped on the blade or hilt? strange looking knife to say the least.

kenb

us
    Aug 2005
    York, Pennsylvania
    Various models of White and Garrett
    1 times

You have found a very interesting knife! How big is it? It appears to have a fixed blade that has been convex ground which is in itself unusual for a production knife, I make knives , read about knife makers, and subscribe to knife magazines and I've never seen any like yours. Squeeze locks are usually divers knives which this does not resemble. I can't figure the wings because if they were there to lock it into something you would have to pull it back out by the blade which isn't usually a good idea. I'll be very interested in hearing other ideas and hopefully the answer. You have a very neat find that will keep us thinking for awhile. Two Dogs

May 2006
    minnesota
    3 times

looks like it could be a switch blade of some kind, if you press the sides in can the blade be pushed into the handle? mpfish

dugupfinds

Thats not a knife, this is a knife.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

us
    Dec 2004
    east northport ny
    Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
    45 times

fair play to you crocadile dugfinds

Pride of Wisconsin

Mar 2007
    1 times

Nice kukri. But that's not a knife.

This is my knife.

Name:	3502-am.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	121944  
    Quid non mortalia pectora cogis, Auri sacra fames?

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11864 times
    Metal Detecting

Do the projections lever out? Smaller blades? Does pressing them in open a hole in the butt for some kind of attachment? (Like a lanyard ring??)

Pretty unusual. Don't recall seeing anything like that. Blackie Collins (Blackjack?) made a convex ground knife a while back that had a spring loaded thumb catch to hole it in a plastic/Kydex sheath. Maybe this was a patent-evading copy?

There are also "spring blade" knives that shoot the blade out of the handle (reloaded by pressing the blade against sonething hard). Careful you don't find the safety catch by accident and launch it into your thigh.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

It is a fixed blade knife. When you squeeze the side levers a clamp opens at the base of the handle, inside the handle. There are numbers etched on the blade on one side and Sheffield with the violin logo on the other side. I do not have the knife with me now so I can't say what the numbers are. I am thinking that it is a military knife but I have never seen one like it before.

As I was typing this I did a google search for Sheffield Military Knife and found this...I guess that answers my questions...I still would like to know the era...

Name:	airscrewrelease.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	121981  
    Finder of Things!

us
    Nov 2004
    Edwards,Missouri
    MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
    59 times

The one you googled has a different blade curvature.

Quote Originally Posted by warsawdaddy
    The one you googled has a different blade curvature.
    Yeah...I know...

The distinguishing characteristic of the two knives is the handle...not the blade.
    Finder of Things!

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
    8155 times
    Metal Detecting

When you squeeze the side levers a clamp opens at the base of the handle, inside the handle.
    So it clamps into the sheath?

DCMatt
    "It's a long time between drinks."
    Attributed to John Motley Morehead
    Governor - North Carolina - 1843

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11864 times
    Metal Detecting

The original (in the image with the sheath) is a paratrooper's or cargo crew's "escape" knife to slice rope and harnesses while hanging in a snagged parachute or from another bad situation. It's strapped to your thigh or upper arm. That one has a concave curved blade and dull tip so you don't slice yourself up getting lose (or fall on it once loose) if you're hanging 30 feet up in a tree in the dark. The clip-point blade from the first post would be wrong for that application, having a pointed tip. Not sure what that is. Maybe a replacement blade??
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links