Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    White's DFX (2)
    31 times

Counterfeit or not ! ! !

I found this in the cedar chips by the swings of a local park today. Only 1" down so it was dropped over the winter sometime as I comb this area twice a year. I assume a kid had it for "show & tell" at school. I do not know what it is, but recognized it as a hammered coin of some sort. But the definition of the depressions leads me to think it may be a reproduction as there doesnt appear to be much, if any wear except on the edges of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Any day detecting is a GOOD day !

us
    Feb 2005
    Bavaria Germany
    Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
    165 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Counterfeit or not ! ! !

Looks like a Byzantine coin from the 1400s. No idea if it's real. HH, Mike

us
    Sep 2006
    Montana
    105 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Don't know... yet.

I looked a little bit when I had a moment, but still no help I'm afraid.

Jun 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    White's DFX (2)
    31 times

Here are some hand drawn representations as best I could interpret them under magnification.
    Front side of object. It looks like three boughs or branches of a palm or evergreen. One leaning left, one leaning right and one straight up. There are 4 charactors at top, some of which look like runic characters.
    On back side are charactors that look like the number 710, but I'm not sure if I have it oriented correctly. Then there is a semicircle of characters around outer edge of object.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0003.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	123495  
    Attached Images Attached Images    

dugupfinds

Quote Originally Posted by dfxdude
    Here are some hand drawn representations as best I could interpret them under magnification.
    Front side of object. It looks like three boughs or branches of a palm or evergreen. One leaning left, one leaning right and one straight up. There are 4 charactors at top, some of which look like runic characters.
    On back side are charactors that look like the number 710, but I'm not sure if I have it oriented correctly. Then there is a semicircle of characters around outer edge of object.
    The 'palm' is a crude representation of a Fluer-de-lue. Having handled 100s of hammered coins it does look right to me. I would guess a moulded copy but not sure what its copying??

What worries me about it, is its trying to look like a off-centre striked coin but the edged beading looks all wrong. Look on the edges & see if it has a mould mark? The edges if struck should be alittle cracked in places.

Jun 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    White's DFX (2)
    31 times

I checked the VDI on it and it is a solid 29-30 Thought it was copper when I dug it, but appears that it is bronze or some other alloy. Edge is fairly smooth with no cracks.

Sponsored Links