Goblet or chalice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Goblet or chalice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    BountyHuntR Portland OR

Sep 2005
    2 times

Goblet or chalice

Anyone know what this is or its origins? It appears to be cast iron and has remnants of gold in the crevices. The base unscrews and has a rudimentary thread. There are no discernible casting or makers marks that I can find. Found in the surf sand on the Oregon coast many years ago as told to my mother by my grandmother. My mother inherited this in the estate and promptly asked me to dispose of this "demonic" ritual item as she called it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-23 17.59.15.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	1002104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-04-23 17.59.26.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	1002108
    Last edited by BountyHuntr; May 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
    Oh dang I think I have Tinnitus...no wait I just have my detector turned on. WHEWW

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    389 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think what you have it a "garden variety" (pun intended) goblet. Specifically, what is called a "garden goblet". Its a little hard to tell with the pictures you have posted. I cannot find one like yours, but, if you could figure out what the pictures are that are on it, and how tall, might be able to get it narrowed down.

Mrs.O
    Oroblanco likes this.
    "Irony is the rule"

May 2014
    1 times
    From what I can see, the images look to be a depiction of Hell with serpents and devilish creatures partying it up. Its in great shape for it to be found along the coast which leads me to believe its not that old and might have been used for some sort of satanic ritual. I'm kind of with your mother on this but looks cool enough to keep till you find out for sure.
    Last edited by kypo; May 29, 2014 at 04:44 AM.
    Tnmountains likes this.

us
    we exist,and we are watching you

Nov 2011
    so.cal.mtns.
    garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
    3401 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    not an id but an observation.as recently as 150 years ago simple posession of such an item could cause you big trouble or even death.Also if an iron item spent any real time in salt water it would show considerable corrosion.I have to conclude it is a novelty piece but would have no way to know for sure.
    A trip to an antique curio shop might be in order for a better idea.
    I dont care which machine you use...you're gonna dig trash.
    an extra thousand bucks aint gonna solve that.

us
    Ben from NH, the Z means nothing

Dec 2004
    Brentwood, NH
    White's Classic SL White's Surf P.I.
    6039 times
    Could we see a picture including the base? I keep finding candle holders in my searches, and want to rule that out.
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson)
    Minelab Explorer
    12596 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I agree with 'bigfoot1' to the extent that if it were 'from the sea', and composed of iron, it would appear abraded by sand and in some phase of deterioration causing rust. Perhaps, at the time it was found, it was a result of having recently been tossed into the sea--as in the final gesture of a 'toast'.
    Don.,

BountyHuntR Portland OR

Sep 2005
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nhbenz View Post
    Could we see a picture including the base? I keep finding candle holders in my searches, and want to rule that out.
    This is a pic including the base. The pic is blurry so I didn't include it...the "thing" is locked in my safe and only my wife knows the combo...don't ask...lol I will ask her to open the safe and I will get a better set of pictures.
    Its about 6" tall and about 3" at the top of the cup.

Name:	2012-04-23 17.59.46.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	1002252
    Last edited by BountyHuntr; May 29, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
    Tnmountains likes this.
    Oh dang I think I have Tinnitus...no wait I just have my detector turned on. WHEWW

BountyHuntR Portland OR

Sep 2005
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    I agree with 'bigfoot1' to the extent that if it were 'from the sea', and composed of iron, it would appear abraded by sand and in some phase of deterioration causing rust. Perhaps, at the time it was found, it was a result of having recently been tossed into the sea--as in the final gesture of a 'toast'.
    Don.,
    You may have a point. Just as my mother wanted me to take a torch to this thing and destroy it, but I didn't have the heart to destroy such an interesting piece. I took more pictures although the light was not on my side.

Name:	2014-05-29 13.13.18.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	1002270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.16.04.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1002271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.16.24.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	1002272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.16.41.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	1002273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.17.17.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	1002274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.17.32.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	947.5 KB 
ID:	1002275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.18.08.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	863.8 KB 
ID:	1002276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-29 13.18.20.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	904.5 KB 
ID:	1002278
    Tnmountains likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1980 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    I agree with Momma. Whether it is a garden goblet or a candle holder, it looks waaaay too demonic for me to keep.

I think it has some age on it, and it doesn't look like a reproduction, but I don't think it was on the beach very long before it was found.

Photo tip: Whenever you are photographing a dark colored object, it will produce a better pic if you use a medium green or medium blue colored background.

Creepy find
    Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

BountyHuntR Portland OR

Sep 2005
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie View Post
    I agree with Momma. Whether it is a garden goblet or a candle holder, it looks waaaay too demonic for me to keep.

I think it has some age on it, and it doesn't look like a reproduction, but I don't think it was on the beach very long before it was found.

Photo tip: Whenever you are photographing a dark colored object, it will produce a better pic if you use a medium green or medium blue colored background.

Creepy find
    Breezie
    Should I have this thing photographed by a professional in a light tent? The blackness of this item is very hard to over come and capture with the cameras I own. I have taken this cup to antique appraisers over the years with no luck other than all have said its old, was once covered in gold and all offered to buy it. The orange colored areas in the pics are indeed the remnants of gold. I displayed this on my mantle for years and everyone, I mean everyone just had to pick it up and look at it. The conversations this item generates have all lead to the same place as you might imagine...my mother still insists to this day I destroy it with a torch and send it back to where it came from. I however don't have the heart to destroy it.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1980 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Is it gold paint, gold plate, or gilt?

Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

BountyHuntR Portland OR

Sep 2005
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezie View Post
    Is it gold paint, gold plate, or gilt?

Breezie
    After researching antique gilt cast iron, comparing it to a cast iron gilt candlestick holder I also own, which is about in the same condition, I have come to a conclusion. I would have to say its gilt based on the color and the varying thickness when viewing the gold under a jewelers loop. I don't believe its gold plate because there's no edges where rust has occurred to leave an undercut to the gold.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8480 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    It does kinda look like a scene or level from Dante's Inferno

Name:	DantePuttiB.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	1002516
    artemis moon likes this.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8480 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BountyHuntr View Post
    Should I have this thing photographed by a professional in a light tent? The blackness of this item is very hard to over come and capture with the cameras I own. I have taken this cup to antique appraisers over the years with no luck other than all have said its old, was once covered in gold and all offered to buy it. The orange colored areas in the pics are indeed the remnants of gold. I displayed this on my mantle for years and everyone, I mean everyone just had to pick it up and look at it. The conversations this item generates have all lead to the same place as you might imagine...my mother still insists to this day I destroy it with a torch and send it back to where it came from. I however don't have the heart to destroy it.
    If you do not have a light tent sometimes you can capture things with a flash shooting in compete darkness. I would shoot it in succession and rotate it so each figure ties to the last. I think it is a knock of of something Like Dante or maybe the land of Nod. What is interesting to me is the fish depicted at the bottom, which might be the the first part of the journey across the river stix. All speculation and probably a well made cult type item. Conversation piece for sure. Might be big bucks on E-Bay.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Dec 2006
    2216 times
    may be a set prop, for movie, or theater, this site talks about chalice in satanic ritual
    careful i guess they are the real deal satanic types, hey maybe they will want it LOL
    Advanced Consecration of Ritual Tools & Other Material Props

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links