Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

View Poll Results: Any info?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

1 100.00%
  • no

0 0%

Dec 2006

button id

I found this button at an old site but I am not sure if it is that old or not. It looks like a peakock and a rabbit to me on the back it says ledsam and sons london.any thoughts are appreciated. HH
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Charter Member

May 2005
    202 times

Re: button id

Glad to have you with us!

Looks like a 19th century sporting button.

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by someguypeter
    I found this button at an old site but I am not sure if it is that old or not. It looks like a peakock and a rabbit to me on the back it says ledsam and sons london.any thoughts are appreciated. HH
    I found a couple of buttons made by them online. One civil war button here:
    http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/infantry.htm
    And one unknown, (no picture) here:
    http://www.goldenagebuttons.co.uk/lists/Livery.htm

If you want to learn more about the company, here are a couple of pdf files:
    www.terry.uga.edu/~selgin/documents/Ramble.pdf
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&ct=res...YFli1I1D9MvFLQ
    (Personally I hate pdf files and don't have the bandwidth on dialup to bother downloading most.)

I think you would have to search specific button collectors websites for more on that button if nobody else on here can help. Nice button though. Too bad about the damage.

F.
    Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

Charter Member

May 2005
    202 times

Thanks for adding the information about the backmark after I posted. That definitely helps with the date range. My guess would be c. 1820's-30's; they were listed as manufacturers of "gilt & metal buttons" from 1805 through 1833.

Thomas Ledsam & Sons, a British firm with operations in both Birmingham and London, was in business at least as early as 1797. The button presumably dates no later than around 1850, when Ledsam & Sons was bought out by Piggot & Co.

Thomas Ledsam was also listed as a gun maker in 1785, and his son Joseph was listed as a maker of watch chains and toys in 1797.

Sponsored Links