Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By 68K
  • 1 Post By villagenut
  • 3 Post By Breezie
  • 2 Post By BosnMate

Thread: Unkown Old Pistol

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Nov 2013
    Maryland
    AT PRO Pro Pointer AT
    140 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Unkown Old Pistol

My dad found this really old pistol along a river where he fishes. He finds all sorts of old coins, artifacts and arrow heads in the same area. Here are a couple of pics of the pistol. I know it is a percussion cap pistol, probably from the early 1800's. If anyone could help me possibly identifying the make and model that would be great. Thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141128_151539.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	1086526

Name:	20141128_151711.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	1086527

Name:	20141128_151747.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	1086528

Name:	20141128_151454.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	1086529
    SkaBa likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    CenTex
    934 times
    Nice.

us
    Oct 2014
    florida
    3975 times
    No idea but I would take some steps to preserve it or likely it will become a pile of rusty metal pieces. Iron artifacts look good for a while after recovery but are no longer stable, and without intervention they will only deteriorate more and more. That is a nice one, and I would hate to see it fall apart.
    bigfoot1 likes this.

ie
    Sep 2010
    France
    ACE 250,
    285 times
    Sounds like the dream spot to detect!
    Aquachigger has a good youtube video showing how to preserve using hot wax method!
    The body wants to go back in time, the heart lives for today and the mind thinks about the future.

us
    Oct 2009
    North Carolina
    White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
    1932 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Below is a pic of a percussion cap pistol from the 1850's. This one has a straight trigger, while yours is curved. Judging by that, I would say yours later, probably closer to the Civil War era.

Name:	CapPistol.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	1086576

There's a possibility is can be restored. As you can see, mine turned out beautifully!
    Rare Sambo Cap Gun-1897-Before & After Pics

Name:  Sam1Left.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  19.5 KB

Attachment 1086575

Neat find
    Breezie
    Every time I watch Gone With The Wind, I think we're gonna win this time!

us
    coppersmith

Oct 2013
    brunswick md
    WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
    4453 times
    Relic Hunting
    It looks to be a spur trigger pistol??/vanzutphen

us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8405 times
    Percussion caps were invented in 1836, and weren't instantly popular, and I would expect your gun is from after 1840, to perhaps the 1860's. That's a guess, it certainly might date later than that. Generally a box lock muzzle loading pistol that size and style, is called a muff pistol. Ladies used a hand warmer called a "muff," and the self defense pistol fit right in the muff. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Name:	2A.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	1086585There is ample space in there to hide one or two small pistols.
    The next photo is of a box lock muff pistol.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	1086586
    The genteel lady, or even the high falootin gentleman that might be carrying a hideout gun wasn't expected to load the gun themselves. The gun was strictly self defense, and they didn't target practice with them. Once a month you stopped by the local gunsmith or gun store, and you would fire your pistol into a barrel, then the gunsmith would clean it, and loaded it for you, and you were good for another month, and potentially your only practice was shooting into a barrel once a month. In the photo of the pistol, note the lug under the barrel. That was for a wrench to unscrew the barrel, and essentially it was a breech loader, and the barrel had a chamber, in which a slightly over sized ball was placed first, then the powder, and the barrel screwed back on, making it shoot much harder than a muzzle loader. A muzzle loading pistol would be treated the same, and was sold without a ramrod because the owner wasn't expected to load it.
    Last edited by BosnMate; Dec 01, 2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Reed Lukens and Breezie like this.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3741 times
    Telling exactly what it is at this time isn't possible but you will have a much easier job of identifying it after it has been cleaned. BosnMate and Breezie have it nailed as close as can be at this time

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    11463 times
    Metal Detecting
    Actually your find is fairly distinctive. Bos'nMate gave you a good run down.

Your has a distinctive frame angle down into the grip and the barrel appears to be hex to round (if I am seeing it right - hard to tell). That might have looked like this.

Name:	156285.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1086641

But here's the sad part - even the one shown is "make unknown" because places like Liege in Belgium turned out gozillions of these and did not mark them. No manufacturer & no serial.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    Nov 2013
    Maryland
    AT PRO Pro Pointer AT
    140 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    Actually your find is fairly distinctive. Bos'nMate gave you a good run down.

Your has a distinctive frame angle down into the grip and the barrel appears to be hex to round (if I am seeing it right - hard to tell). That might have looked like this.

Name:	156285.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	1086641

But here's the sad part - even the one shown is "make unknown" because places like Liege in Belgium turned out gozillions of these and did not mark them. No manufacturer & no serial.
    That looks like a match to me! Thanks! I will show my dad. I will talk to him about further preserving it as well.

Sponsored Links