Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Jan 2005
    kansas city/ osceola missouri
    garret deepseeker , ace 250, DMC11ba

Re: gun. browning ,made belgium

An old trick to remove light rust is put a little oil on the rusted area and lay a copper penny (pre1980) flat and lightly rub. Works great and wont damage the bluing.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    952 times

Remington made an identical shotgun using the Browning patent. I had one with birdseye maple stock and foregrip. Great for using in a blind but too heavy to carry for any length of time in the field. A Remington in fair condition will bring an easy $1000 to $1500. Mine was in the $3500 range in the mid-90's.

Prefer my double - side X side La Fever with left barrel full choke.
    The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    '72 RS Kit/Musketeer Advantage with 8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se with 11" DD & 6.5" concentric coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe/Black Widows/Rattler/F-Point/Merlin SXL Pinpointers
    602 times
    Metal Detecting

John Moses Browning was a resourceful man. Remington, Winchester ('86, '92, '94, '95 rifles & several shotguns), Ithaca (the M-37 Deerslayer was his design), Colt (the 1911 ACP & most of their early auto pistols), The M-2 .50 cal HMG designed in 1921 and still in use with the U.S. Military! - he designed LOTS of guns for lots of manufacturers.

Now if you're going to split threads and discuss doubles - I have a .20 Ithaca/SKB 200-E with three barrel pairs (Sk/Sk, IC/M, F/F) that I'm taking with me when I go.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    75 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Easily worth $500.00 even with the light rust. The rust won't hurt as long as there is not pitting beneath it. This is pretty much a classic shotgun and very desirable not just to collectors but to guys or gals who intend to hunt with them. Any gun with the words Made in Belgium and Browning on it is at a premium. Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    952 times

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY)
    John Moses Browning was a resourceful man. Remington, Winchester ('86, '92, '94, '95 rifles & several shotguns), Ithaca (the M-37 Deerslayer was his design), Colt (the 1911 ACP & most of their early auto pistols), The M-2 .50 cal HMG designed in 1921 and still in use with the U.S. Military! - he designed LOTS of guns for lots of manufacturers.

Now if you're going to split threads and discuss doubles - I have a .20 Ithaca/SKB 200-E with three barrel pairs (Sk/Sk, IC/M, F/F) that I'm taking with me when I go.
    Good info...Browning was a very prolific arms designer...designed some of the finest auto's that are still in use today.

As for doubles...that can be another thread

The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

ca
    Feb 2007
    Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
    A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.

Quote Originally Posted by jon43
    i tryed putting this in another form but did not get no info, i hope know one minds me putting it here my sis is cleaning out her boy friends house and he showed me this shotgun. its got a gold trigger its a semi auto 20 ga. can anyone tell me how old it is. he is suposed to bring it over to night to look at the markings on it. i should have done it when i took the pic but at the time the 600$ price he had on it made me run for the door now he wants 500$ thanks for any help?
    I did a search on my favorite gun sales website and narrowed it down to these:
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.ht...&MX=0&F=&CA=85

You might want to check out the prices and info on that Colt while your on that website. With the gold trigger and any other unusual features on your Browning A-5 Light, it could be worth more, or less that those listed. None of the ones I saw were pre-1967, so if yours is older, it may be worth more.

You can download the manual for the Browning Auto-5 Light from here:
    http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/index.asp
    (6.3 Mb's)

The serial number should be located under the receiver just ahead of the loading port. Once you have that, you can use it to find out the year, etc from this page:
    http://www.browning.com/services/dat...tail.asp?id=13

The number you posted, (2z 56931), doesn't sound like the right one to be a serial number, at least not according to the Browning website page I posted above.

F.
    Quote of Sir Joshua Reynolds': "There is no expedient, to which a man will not resort; to avoid the real labor, of thinking."

Jan 2006
    owensboro , ky

Quote Originally Posted by Functional
    i tryed putting this in another form but did not get no info, i hope know one minds me putting it here my sis is cleaning out her boy friends house and he showed me this shotgun. its got a gold trigger its a semi auto 20 ga. can anyone tell me how old it is. he is suposed to bring it over to night to look at the markings on it. i should have done it when i took the pic but at the time the 600$ price he had on it made me run for the door now he wants 500$ thanks for any help?
    I did a search on my favorite gun sales website and narrowed it down to these:
    http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.ht...&MX=0&F=&CA=85

You might want to check out the prices and info on that Colt while your on that website. With the gold trigger and any other unusual features on your Browning A-5 Light, it could be worth more, or less that those listed. None of the ones I saw were pre-1967, so if yours is older, it may be worth more.

You can download the manual for the Browning Auto-5 Light from here:
    http://www.browning.com/products/manuals/index.asp
    (6.3 Mb's)

The serial number should be located under the receiver just ahead of the loading port. Once you have that, you can use it to find out the year, etc from this page:
    http://www.browning.com/services/dat...tail.asp?id=13

The number you posted, (2z 56931), doesn't sound like the right one to be a serial number, at least not according to the Browning website page I posted above.

F.
    thanks for the link that is the number thats ahead of the loading port. on the butt plate its got fn automatic browning
    dfx. xlt

Jan 2006
    owensboro , ky

butt plate darn that did not turn out to good, the pic. anyway im stuck now hes coming over for his frist payment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	130477  
    dfx. xlt

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
    7 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Are you sure you are looking at the loading port? It is underneath the gun. Not on the side.

Daryl
    The only way to really understand something is to play with it.

Jan 2006
    owensboro , ky

Quote Originally Posted by BioProfessor
    Are you sure you are looking at the loading port? It is underneath the gun. Not on the side.

Daryl
    yes under the loading port and were the shells go in. i tryed to take some pics but will not show the no# i will try again
    dfx. xlt

us
    Jun 2005
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by BioProfessor

Daryl
    yes under the loading port and were the shells go in. i tryed to take some pics but will not show the no# i will try again
    Perhaps you could highlight the #s by rubbing a piece of chalk over them, or use talcum powder and wipe off excess.

Jan 2006
    owensboro , ky

hope you can zoom in some?

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	130509  
    dfx. xlt

us
    Jun 2005
    1 times

Someday I'll post a tutorial on how to fix these.

Meanwhile, try to re-photograph in open shade, or bright room light, no flash, to avoid flare. Try with and without highlighting numbers as describe above.

Name:	iCroppedndex.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	130514  

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    7 times
    Banner Finds (3)

In 1976 Browning standardized its serial number identification which it followed until 1998.
    1. Auto-5 Type
    151=Magnum 12 gauge
    161=Magnum 20 gauge
    211=Light 12 gauge
    221=Sweet 16
    231=Light 20 gauge
    2. Date of Manufacture
    is a two digit code
    Z=1
    Y=2
    X=3
    W=4
    V=5
    T=6
    R=7
    P=8
    N=9
    M=0
    3. Serial Number
    beginning with 01001
    at the start of each year.

Does this help??

Daryl

Apr 2007
    Mankato, MN
    7 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Here is better info:

In 1958 FN/Browning started using a number and letter prefix for date of manufacture, starting with the last number of the year, and followed by a letter designation for the model. So s/n 8H XXXXX, for example, would be a 1958 standard-weight gun.

Of course, when they got to 1968, that plan fell apart so they began using the last two digits of the year, plus a letter code, plus a unique serial number. So s/n 68H XXXXX would be a 1968 standard-weight gun.

Daryl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors