Old floor safe - anyone know who made it? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Old floor safe - anyone know who made it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2016
    Southern California
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ok, I think I've found the right match this time. Found these pictures of some Schwab safes, they seem to be a perfect match: wheels, hinges, dial placement, and even the interior color all match. What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwab-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	1273589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwab-2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	1273590Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schwab-3.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	1273591
    boogeyman and NOLA_Ken like this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2821 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice! Pretty good deal!

If you don't want to hand paint the trim & name on the front, Testors (plastic models) has decal sheets that you can print on then place like we did with our model cars. I've been using this to do the graphics for everything from antique engines to old plumbers torches. If you can set a good picture of a label it's a breeze to touch it up in photo shop & print it out just as good as new! That & a little clear coat.
    Last edited by boogeyman; Feb 16, 2016 at 11:24 PM.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Aug 2015
    South Florida
    Garrett GTI-2500
    1236 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nobody's asked (that I know of)...
    Isn't it a bit curious that this safe has wheels on it?

Nice safe, and should look very ole-timey once restored!

Speaking of safes: And this is directed to all forum members out there who might have a safe in their home...
    Do Not Confuse a "fire-safe" with a "burglary safe".

I doubt TreasureNet is the right forum for this, but just a word of caution to everyone that many popular modern home-variety "safes" can be opened (i.e., defeated or bypassed) quite easily without knowing the combination or having a key. If in doubt about your particular safe, please spend a little time with Google. A lot of these safes make great fireproof containers, but absolutely terrible places to put your valulables. And obviously, if your safe is small enough to carry, you really should find a way to bolt it down.

us
    Jun 2015
    CA
    52 times
    Storage units and picking
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Nobody's asked (that I know of)...
    Isn't it a bit curious that this safe has wheels on it?

Nice safe, and should look very ole-timey once restored!

Speaking of safes: And this is directed to all forum members out there who might have a safe in their home...
    Do Not Confuse a "fire-safe" with a "burglary safe".

I doubt TreasureNet is the right forum for this, but just a word of caution to everyone that many popular modern home-variety "safes" can be opened (i.e., defeated or bypassed) quite easily without knowing the combination or having a key. If in doubt about your particular safe, please spend a little time with Google. A lot of these safes make great fireproof containers, but absolutely terrible places to put your valulables. And obviously, if your safe is small enough to carry, you really should find a way to bolt it down.
    A little more to add...

A lot of safes have wheels. Easier to get into place and then the wheels come off.

When bolting the safe, put it in a corner and hinges away from the wall. Harder (not impossible) for a crowbar to pop open the door.

As the previous poster mentioned, google your safe. A certain new electronic safe can be opened with just a large rare earth magnet.

Even bolted safes can been removed. (Salvation Army NC 2013 200lb safe bolted with 2 redheads) Even heavy safes can be lifted easily nowadays. Read a story of a guy who had his 1000+lb safe stolen and they did not even scratch a wall. He was confused how they did it. How I think they did it... Two Hydraulic Dollies. Can be bought for $700ea. or rented. Each can hold 4k lbs. Spend a little more and you can buy one that will drive the safe out.

So all in all a safe is not safe by its self. Most burglaries are from someone you know or someone you know who told someone else. Hide you safe. Have a decoy safe. Have cameras and a alarm. Have items stashed in different areas. Good Lighting, dogs, always locking doors/windows. Never posting on social media "I'm off to Hawaii for 2 weeks!" ect. Make them find an easier target.

It used to be open the safe on site using pry bars. Now with saws/torches that can cut thru anything, they prefer to move the safe.

I was just in Harbor Freight last week and a guy was asking me if I knew where the safe that was on sale was. It was behind me and I researched the safe previously. I told him all about the cons and how just a little bit more spent would be a much better bet. He didn't care. It was on sale! Made me want to say...."ok buddy, mind if I follow you home?" lol
    Last edited by Ryans Rust; Feb 18, 2016 at 07:11 PM.

us
    Jun 2015
    CA
    52 times
    Storage units and picking
    Edit- The safe I thought was a match is not. It's a Southern California Safe Company (Distributor). It has different hinges among other differences.
    Last edited by Ryans Rust; Feb 19, 2016 at 02:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links