Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Sep 2003
    Madison, Indiana

GAR Button

This is not a "find", but something a friend of mine needs help identifying. I am not a big Civil War buff, so maybe some of you out there can help. It is a little smaller in diameter than a dime, and has the inscription " Grand Army Of The Republic 1861-Veteran-1866". Any ideas??

us
    Sep 2003
    Allentown Pa.
    DFX 300
    384 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

GAR Button

awsome button i love it J.D.
    10,000 light years from nowhere, our planet shot to pieces, people starving, and I'm gonna get us in trouble!! Whats the matter with you!?

http://www.reverbnation.com/akiaslanfear

Mar 2003
    1 times

GAR Button

The Grand Army of the Republic was a Union Veterans organization founded in 1866. Membership was limited to men who had served in the Union Army (including State Volunteer Regiments) during the Civil War. In time it became very active in promoting such things as military pensions, "old soldier's homes," and the like. It ceased to exist in the late 1940's when there were only a remaining members, aged 112- 115 years old. During the GAR's heyday, they held annual conventions. Your find is a common lapel badge, but was issued to a Union veteran when he joined the GAR. A neat and historical find! HH Jim

Mar 2003
    1 times

GAR Button

The Grand Army of the Republic was a Union Veterans organization founded in 1866. Membership was limited to men who had served in the Union Army (including State Volunteer Regiments) during the Civil War. In time it became very active in promoting such things as military pensions, "old soldier's homes," and the like. It ceased to exist in the late 1940's when there were only a remaining members, aged 112- 115 years old. During the GAR's heyday, they held annual conventions. Your find is a common lapel badge, but was issued to a Union veteran when he joined the GAR. A neat and historical find! HH Jim

Sep 2003
    Madison, Indiana

GAR Button

Thanks for all the help everyone!! Happy Hunting, Pete

Sponsored Links