Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: ??? OLD Copper Coin ID - Coin Guys Please HELP ???

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Scott, founder of East Coast Relic Hunters

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    583 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by steelheadwill View Post
    Regarding exact alloy %ages, many years back (not so many, I started digging in 2010) I sent a dozen period counterfeits to a gentleman who ran them through his XRF (nondestructive) scanner and sent me the printed readouts along with his own educated opinions on each one for a very reasonable fee,
    unfortunately I cannot find the paperwork, though I do have all the coins in the numbered kraft paper envelopes in which he returned them.
    I'm gonna try to find our communications that must be in one of my old Email accounts, this would be a valuable resource, Will make a new post if I find it and he still offers the service. HH All!
    i took it to the college and we look at it under magnifiers and microscopes and no evidence of any lettering at all. it sure was exciting to find, whatever it is.
    A2coins likes this.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

East Coast Relic Hunters - "We don't just read history, we save it!"

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    6225 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    hope its a coin i once dug a pile of those knock out thing it was brutal they were not coins best of luck to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app
    Rogue Relic Hunter likes this.
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Charter Member
    us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5 TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
    583 times
    Relic Hunting
    it really does not look like a knock out thing, def a plausible hypothesis though. since there is nothing visible, there really is not much i can do. it is just one of those fun mysteries that sometimes comes with this hobby. keeps life exciting.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

us
    Rick

Mar 2014
    Smithtown NY
    XP, Whites, Garrett, Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
    1204 times
    Metal Detecting
    Here Scott (How you been by the way) I took this from American Coin Dimensions. If it's a coin,
    21.2mm Liberty, Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels
    21.6mm $5 Gold 1840 ~ 1929
    22mm oz. American Eagle $10 Gold, oz. $25 Platinum Eagle, Half Cent Liberty Cap 1793, 20 Cent Piece (1875 ~ 1878), $4 Gold Stella
    22.5mm
    Rogue Relic Hunter likes this.
    Iron Symphony Conductor.

Charter Member
    us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    583 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rick67 View Post
    Here Scott (How you been by the way) I took this from American Coin Dimensions. If it's a coin,
    21.2mm Liberty, Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels
    21.6mm $5 Gold 1840 ~ 1929
    22mm oz. American Eagle $10 Gold, oz. $25 Platinum Eagle, Half Cent Liberty Cap 1793, 20 Cent Piece (1875 ~ 1878), $4 Gold Stella
    22.5mm
    hi, long time. i took a sabbatical and am back at it. thanks for the information. this thread was dead for awhile, but it got revived. made me pull this object back out and look at it more. never did figure it out, maybe never will. those #s are helpful, thanks for posting.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Charter Member
    us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    583 times
    Relic Hunting
    Regarding exact alloy %ages, many years back (not so many, I started digging in 2010) I sent a dozen period counterfeits to a gentleman who ran them through his XRF (nondestructive) scanner and sent me the printed readouts along with his own educated opinions on each one for a very reasonable fee,
    unfortunately I cannot find the paperwork, though I do have all the coins in the numbered kraft paper envelopes in which he returned them.
    I'm gonna try to find our communications that must be in one of my old Email accounts, this would be a valuable resource, Will make a new post if I find it and he still offers the service. HH All!
    let me know if you find the information. be interesting to have it analyzed.
    steelheadwill likes this.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Congratulations to the Winner!

Jan 2010
    The Bungay Jar, Near Wildwood, and The Lost River. Heartily renounce any connection to US policy
    Whatever Beeps, Shrieks or Whistles. CTX, ATX, Deus, Explorer SE2, Etrac, Safari, T2, and several beepndigs.
    607 times
    Working to end Western Dominator Society, Scourge of the Modern World
    Banner Finds (6)
    Copper rounds approximately nickel sized turn out to be farthings or halfcents in my experience.
    Unless its a Woods issue, then its a halfpenny
    I will follow up on the xrf analysis when i get access to my mainframe, a day or two.
    HH all.
    Desire is oft more pleasant than acquisition

Charter Member
    us

Oct 2016
    Virginia Colony
    583 times
    Relic Hunting
    Copper rounds approximately nickel sized turn out to be farthings or halfcents in my experience.
    Unless its a Woods issue, then its a halfpenny
    I will follow up on the xrf analysis when i get access to my mainframe, a day or two.
    HH all.
    it is nickle size, maybe a hair larger. it is thinner than a nickle though. it is about the thickness of a dime.

the nick has been put there, maybe i hit it when i dug it, but i dont think so. looks old. something hit it as it is bent a hair. i am convinced it is an OLD coin. or, maybe i want to believe that, lol. we looked at it under a microscope and heavy magnification at work, not a letter or anything, not a one.
    Last edited by Rogue Relic Hunter; Dec 07, 2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Scott
    Rogue Relic Hunter
    Virginia Colony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links