Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What is the significance of hammered silver coins that were bent at a 90-deg angle?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2007
    8096 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Might have something to do with the angle of the dangle...
    etex likes this.
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I remember all those old pirate type movies where they'd bite a coin to see if it was counterfeit....

Maybe this was a similar test.
    Its another theory, because plated fakes would not bend like solid silver.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT,YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'Time isn't money it's finds, unless your finds are money' 08/12/17
    'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' 25/06/08
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    Why is knowledge power, when life is passing on sh*t... 03/03/19
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

Mar 2013
    190 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It reminds me of the nursery rhyme: "there was a crooked man..."

This link is interesting:
    http://www.johnwinter.net/jw/2014/07...ce-love-token/

Quote Originally Posted by jude061 View Post
    It reminds me of the nursery rhyme: "there was a crooked man..."

This link is interesting:
    A Reprise ? The Crooked Sixpence Love Token | johnwinter.net
    Love tokens such as the ones shown in your link were usually bent twice to form an "S" shape, but mine only has one such bend. But I guess it could still be considered a love token.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

us
    Bruce Reigle

Mar 2016
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Whites coinmaster
    1788 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think it signifies that somebody had a vise and a hammer ??
    Icewing likes this.

us
    Dec 2008
    Ohio
    1444 times
    If they are bent by hand you would have to wedge them in somthing and hit them with something else. Do they show sign of being hit on the edge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoinWishingTree_C.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	1396452  

Quote Originally Posted by taz42o View Post
    If they are bent by hand you would have to wedge them in somthing and hit them with something else. Do they show sign of being hit on the edge.
    No, they look like they were placed in a vise and bent exactly 90 deg.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

I think believing anything other than farm equipment damage is ignoring the obvious and by far the most likely. Even the picture strongly suggests this as several other coins also show a degree of bending and damage. To ignore all of them and to single out the two with a 90 degree bend, and think there is an alternative reason really does not make much sense to me. Also, for the bent love tokens, most would not need much of a look to see the bend going in opposite ways as they tend to be well made and very obvious. Most also seem to be on worn coins... so any bent coin with strong detail my first reaction would be damage. I've seen some with decent detail but way more from worn coins.

Sometimes the answers are simple and not exciting, and that is how I see those.

us
    Feb 2015
    Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
    1003 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Following! I have wondered the exact same thing! On a recent expedition to Germany we found several silvers that were bent perfectly to a 90, right down the center of the coin. It wasn't curved, but like someone put it in a vise and bent it sharp at a 90. When I found the first one, I immediately thought that it was intentional. It was too perfect to be from a farm implement. We also found silvers that were damaged by equipment or tilling, but they were obvious and were badly chipped or all out warped. But this 90 deg bend was something else. In my opinion, it was done by hand and intentional. Collectively, we found 3 or 4 of these perfect bent silvers.

As an interesting aside, farmers were purportedly very superstitious and/or religious in the area we were hunting. We asked an old-timer and local why we were finding so many religious pendants (almost 20 in one field!) and he thought that it was because farmers of the past would bless their fields with them for good luck (good yields). Sadly, I didn't even think to ask about bent coins.

So, broken hearts, good luck, or Occam's Razor? I don't think anyone knows for sure.

us
    Dec 2008
    Ohio
    1444 times
    I agree with iron patch. I think very few people would have tools to bend a coin that way without hammering and leaving tool marks but a mower blade or plow blade hitting at the bend wouldnt leave other marks.

us
    Nov 2013
    The Left Coast
    173 times
    Relic Hunting
    17th century flick football?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0583.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	1396543

Nothing mysterious about the bend, just done by machinery, or everyday uses. Coins would also be bent to test the silver content.

SS
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

Thanks for all the comments, but if you could see these coins you would have to admit they were not randomly struck with farm equipment or whatever. These 2 coins were PERFECTLY bent at EXACTLY a 90 degree angle, and the chances of that happening to both of these coins as a result of a random strike are zero, just like Echoplex mentioned above. Plus they would also have to show plenty of collateral scratch marks in addition to the bend, which they do not. So my opinion is that they were bent for a specific purpose, but it looks like we'll never know what that was. My best guess is that they might be a variation of a love token. I also considered SS's comment about testing the silver content, but why would such a precise bend be needed for that purpose?? BTW - unfortunately, I made the mistake of straightening both of them right after recovery, and wished I had not done that. Never again ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links