Gold nugget?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Gold nugget?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2016
    New Hampshire
    AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
    163 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Gold nugget?

Hey guys, first post in a while! So, I was out detecting last season in NH and I got a very faint signal on my Tesoro Cibola. I dug a couple inches to find this small gold coloured object. It was heavy, showed little to no signs of corrosion so I kept it, thinking it might possibly be gold.
    I didn't have a test kit at home to know for sure, so I threw it in the finds box and forgot about it; until yesterday. My gold acid test kit arrived in the mail so I needed an item to test. I found the old "nugget" and bam! Tested between 18k and 22k!
    Problem is, very few areas in NH have much gold to speak of, certainly not gold nuggets over a gram! I found this in the seacoast area, again, not known for its gold.
    So, my question is, what do you guys think this is? Gold nugget? Broken piece of jewellery? Gold tooth? She ways 1.15 grams. Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487612561183.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	1417033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487612582705.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	1417034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487612633164.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	1417035  
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6057 times
    Prospecting
    Fugio..sure looks like a nugget to my eyes. A 1.15 gram nugget is a great find..anywhere!

Maybe you've found a small nugget patch? If you can
    recall where you found it, I'd get back out there and see
    if there are any more.
    Fugio likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4475 times
    A natural nugget would test about where yours comes up and a gold filling would test lower as it is mixed with a lot of other metals.(18 or 22 would be too soft to use in a tooth.)
    Fugio likes this.
    back of the boat

us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    5315 times
    No that's a brass nugget, you can mail it to me for recyling.
    Fugio likes this.
    “During the gold rush its a good time to be in the pick and shovel business.” Mark Twain

us
    Feb 2016
    New Hampshire
    163 times
    Thanks for the responses! It's killing me but I just can't for the life of me remember exactly where I found it! Since I didn't really think it was gold at the time, I didn't place any lasting meaning behind the find.
    I still have one question: would it be normal for a natural nugget to have a flat side? I photographed the flat side in these two photos. Any opinions? I have been racking my brain all day to try and remember where I found this thing! I hope it comes back to me:banghead:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487633554147.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	1417173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1487633564701.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	1417174  

us
    Sep 2010
    Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
    8406 times
    Someone melted some jewelry -- puddled it on a flat surface -- lost it and you found it. Sure looks like gold. I tried melting some gold one time in rusty cast iron, and the iron rust turned the gold pink. Man I was sore at myself over that one.
    Fugio likes this.
    Due to the high price of ammunition there will be no warning shot.

Looks natural to me. The whole East Coast of the US and parts of Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario have gold deposits. NH has noted gold sources, it weathers out. I think that's what you have found.
    Fugio likes this.

Dec 2015
    274 times
    IMO That flat side rules out it being a natural nugget.
    Last edited by Gambrinus; Feb 20, 2017 at 09:40 PM.
    Fugio likes this.

Except the flat side isn't truly flat. Remember, gold enters rocks as a liquid solution, and sometimes gets crammed into relatively flat spaces, like in quartz.
    Fugio and TheCannonballGuy like this.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4475 times
    A lot of flakes began as nuggets but after getting between rocks they smash down through movement of the soil.
    Fugio likes this.
    back of the boat

us
    Feb 2016
    New Hampshire
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeythecat View Post
    Except the flat side isn't truly flat. Remember, gold enters rocks as a liquid solution, and sometimes gets crammed into relatively flat spaces, like in quartz.
    So it sounds like it could be natural! Maybe it was from a gold nugget jewellery piece?(thus the flat side). Has anyone found a nugget from a deposit that is flat on one side like this? Thank you all for your observations, informative as always!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23050 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It is natural, it is a gold nugget. Congratulations!

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1681 times
    Metal Detecting
    Its a nugget As to the flattening its not uncommon especially if the nugget was caught in some slate or other flat stone. Weathering, heat/cold cycles and ice can and do produce pressures over time that can flatten gold out and give it such an appearance. Some areas are known for it. Nice find.
    Fugio likes this.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Feb 2016
    New Hampshire
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    Its a nugget As to the flattening its not uncommon especially if the nugget was caught in some slate or other flat stone. Weathering, heat/cold cycles and ice can and do produce pressures over time that can flatten gold out and give it such an appearance. Some areas are known for it. Nice find.
    Thank you for the insight. That's awesome news. I never would have expected that to come out of the ground in my area. From what I have heard and seen NH mostly has small gold. Guess I'm gonna have to look for more!

us
    Silver Coin Fiend

Apr 2014
    Charlotte
    XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
    16073 times
    Digging In Strangers Front Yards
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    A gold test kit will prove authenticity.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_264or33v25_e

Is it soft like lead? If yes, it's bound to be gold.
    Fugio likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links