Non MD find - Brass Whats it? Electrical? Plumbing?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Non MD find - Brass Whats it? Electrical? Plumbing?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2006
    13 times

Non MD find - Brass What's it? Electrical? Plumbing?

Picked this up at an estate sale. Nothing else at the sale would suggest, or lead me to conclude it's use. All but the center shaft is made of Brass. The three prong spaceship looking piece is spring loaded with the very end, with a fairly strong Spring. The other end is hinged, and slides back and forth easily. This end is "barbed" in such a way, it suggests they are inserted, expanded, and then used to pull something out??

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-16.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	596.1 KB 
ID:	1459521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-21.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	1459522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-20.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	506.7 KB 
ID:	1459523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-19.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	583.4 KB 
ID:	1459524  
    Reanm8er and A2coins like this.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    7117 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Specialized slide hammer puller?
    Bruce R and A2coins like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Nov 2006
    13 times
    That crossed my mind. I visualized an automotive dent puller. But seems a little obtuse to have the three fins. Thanks for chiming in.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Lost?Mind

Feb 2015
    Greenville, South Carolina
    325 times
    Metal Detecting
    maybe some type of reamer, never seen anything like it before.

marion
    A2coins likes this.

Nov 2006
    13 times
    Possibly. The "arms" spin freely though. So you would have to spin them manually, probably at that collar, which has two flat sides. Possibly for an adjustable wrench, etc. Thanks.
    A2coins likes this.

de
    Apr 2004
    Kusel County
    154 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hello!

For some reason a steam engine (or other motor) governor comes to mind. The large rounded end - does it look as if it maybe rotated in a bearing? If possible, could you post a short video of how it moves? How "friction free" does it move? Do the serrations on the "tongs" (or arms) seem to have wear marks from having "grabbed onto" something? If held vertical and spun by the fins do the arms rotate and seem to spread out? The brass does suggest a need for corrosion resistance. Sorry for all the questions but am just trying to gather info. This will be a fun one!

Respectfully,

Batch
    Last edited by Batch; Jun 06, 2017 at 02:22 PM.
    A2coins likes this.

Nov 2006
    13 times
    Batch, like your line of thinking. I wasn't ever comfortable with it being a stand alone hand tool of sorts. And it definitely has a Train or Steam engine vibe. I'll try to video it, but I'm not too handy at tech. For now, let me offer a few more details. The tongs slide back and forth freely, approx 2 1/2". No bearings. The thin block at the end of the center rod keeps the tongs from spinning. Only light wear on the barbs. Which are definitely uni directional. Much like a saw blade. They 'barb' in the direction of pulling the tongs back in. The bulb at the other end is stationary with the center rod. The rocket ship part spins, and is spring loaded against the bulb. Rather stiff, moving just a little better than an inch. My guess is no bearings in there either. Just slightly tight tolerances.
    Thanks for showing interest.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Aug 2015
    South Florida
    Garrett GTI-2500
    1105 times
    Metal Detecting
    The first thing that pops into my mind is that this is a sleeve puller for an engine cylinder.

Of course, the first that pops into my mind is quite often WRONG!

Interesting gadget -- I'll be watching this thread for sure.
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
    Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3). Detecting since 1972.
    662 times
    Maybe a bushing puller. Interesting.
    A2coins likes this.

Nov 2006
    13 times
    Bump now that some of you are froze. Asked a few mechanical minded people, but no closer to solving it. Any ideas?.......

Thanks in advance!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3387 times
    It looks like the rod is threaded? If you hold the two arms and spin the end does it cause them to spread? To me it looks like some sort of anchoring system maybe, but that's probably not what it is just from the size of it....
    A2coins likes this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Nov 2006
    13 times
    Ken,
    The small rod is threaded, just at the end. It appears just for disassembly. The arms don't have to spin in order to slide/open. However, I'm now thinking the thicker flat sided area at the base end of the arms suggests that an adjustable wrench could be used to spin the arms. I would be more comfortable with this theory if the barbs were slightly angled (like threads), rather than straight. Though, the spring loaded end could force the arms in deeper........ Now I'm back to it being some sort of pulling device, much like a dent puller. Just don't understand the Johnny Socko robot style end?

On another note, I don't get out, or post much these days, but I vaguely remember crossing posting paths with you years back. My wife is from Pekin, as well as you, if memory serves.

"Kill the body, and the head will die..... "

Regards,
    Julian
    A2coins likes this.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3387 times
    Quote Originally Posted by julesjunk View Post
    Ken,
    The small rod is threaded, just at the end. It appears just for disassembly. The arms don't have to spin in order to slide/open. However, I'm now thinking the thicker flat sided area at the base end of the arms suggests that an adjustable wrench could be used to spin the arms. I would be more comfortable with this theory if the barbs were slightly angled (like threads), rather than straight. Though, the spring loaded end could force the arms in deeper........ Now I'm back to it being some sort of pulling device, much like a dent puller. Just don't understand the Johnny Socko robot style end?

On another note, I don't get out, or post much these days, but I vaguely remember crossing posting paths with you years back. My wife is from Pekin, as well as you, if memory serves.

"Kill the body, and the head will die..... "

Regards,
    Julian
    Ah, yeah, Pekin Il that's me.... This thing is odd for sure but I can't help but think I've seen something really similar to it somewhere...
    A2coins likes this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Bruce Reigle

Mar 2016
    Shamokin, Pa.
    Whites coinmaster
    1809 times
    Metal Detecting
    It is definitely a slide hammer puller, the fact that it’s brass suggests that it’s used either in water ( so it doesn’t rust ) or used around something flammable or explosive ( so it doesn’t make sparks ) It doesn’t look like it had any hard usage. Maybe its one of those “gimmick “ tools like the robogrip or the electric hammer.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    28023 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    That's for picking up finds that your not sure what they are before you touch it lol
    Reanm8er likes this.

Approved TreasureNet Stickers

.:: $3.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::.
    .:: $2.25 for 1" x 4" Detector Sticker ::.
    (Free Shipping)

SEE: TreasureNet Bumper Stickers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links