Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: NEED SOME HELP ON THIS CIVIL WAR CAMP LETTER FROM 1862

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Camp Prospers
    23 Rt

I think you have a soldier from the 23rd Regiment who is in camp in February of 1862 who is writing a letter with both illustration and description of how he and his hut mates are prospering in their camp and specifically in their hut. He is very proud of how they have made a comfortable winter home in the field.

Handwriting research shows that the fifth letter is similar to his "p" in "cups" in the illustration at right of the hut and just above his name. It is also similar to the "p" in "steps" in the description below the illustration. It looks nothing like a normal "p", but it looks just like his "p"s. The other letters seem to fall into place to form the word "Prospers".

us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Food for thought re: my "Prospers" theory. The last letter of the word has a flourish that may have been more emphasis on his pride that he and his buddies were doing so well. But in looking at other words in his text, he only uses that flourish in crossing his "t"s at the end of words such as in "breakfast" and "get" on the other page. He has a few ways to form his "t"s at the end of words, but the two mentioned look a lot like the last letter in Camp _______. I thought it might be "Prospect" and found a Civil War Camp Prospect in Massachusetts in 1861 and one (Union) in Virginia throughout the war. But I can't bring myself to see "ec" between the "p" and the "t".

I'm just throwing stuff out there in hopes that it may be of some help.
    TheCannonballGuy likes this.

us
    always diggin

Aug 2013
    new jersey
    minelab xterra 705
    36 times
    Relic Hunting
    THANX DON, I WAS LOOKING INTO CALLING THEM, BUT I DIDNT REALLY KNOW HOW TO EXPLAIN TO THEM WHAT IT IS I HAVE. I DO FEEL THAT YOU ARE RIGHT AND IT IS CAMP PRESTON. IF YOU LOOK HOW "VERN" WRITES THE LETTER N, THEY ALL SEEM TO LOOK ALIKE. I FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THAT, FINDING OUT WHO VERN WAS, THATS THE TRICKY THING. THANX AGAIN DON FOR HELPING ME!!!!!!

RICK

us
    always diggin

Aug 2013
    new jersey
    minelab xterra 705
    36 times
    Relic Hunting
    HEY SPATS THANX FOR THE HELP, ANY HELP IS ALWAYS WELCOMED. I AM TORN BECAUSE OF HOW HE SPELLS IS CONFUSING. BUT, THE N REALLY SEEMS TO BE CONSISTENT .
    BUT I AM GOING TO LOOK INTO CAMP PROSPECT!!!!!

RICK
    TheCannonballGuy likes this.

us
    Oct 2006
    Herndon Virginia
    Minelab EX II & Musketeer, White's Classic
    4083 times
    After comparing other similar letters from the writing, I believe Spats is on the right track. I have difficulting seeing the "c" in the camp name, but based on the surrounding letters I'm pretty sure the name is "Camp Prospect" - possibly the one near Fredericksburg, Va.

Here is a clip from a book about the 84th NY Infantry who was camped there in early 1862.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camp prospect.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	1493862  
    tennessee digger and Spats like this.
    "Pray put no construction on my words I do not mean they should convey, and give them no undue weight.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links