Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree23Likes
  • 7 Post By Spats
  • 2 Post By Charlie P. (NY)
  • 6 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 2 Post By Spats
  • 1 Post By sutphin
  • 2 Post By Charlie P. (NY)
  • 2 Post By NOLA_Ken
  • 1 Post By Fullstock

Thread: Brass Trigger Guard From Pistol

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    327 times
    Metal Detecting

Brass Trigger Guard From Pistol

I found this several years ago in a campsite used by both Union and Confederates. My best guess is that the campsite was used in 1863. I think it is from a Colt revolver, but not sure. The 155815 serial number would mean an 1859 manufacture date if from a Colt pocket revolver. The date would be 1863 for a Colt Navy and post-war for a Colt Army. There is an "M" or "W" stamped sideways into the left side in the thick part just above and behind the guard. I have read that the pocket pistol trigger guard has different measurements than those for the Army and Navy, but can't find any specs.

Here are my questions:
    1.Is this a Colt trigger guard?
    2. If a Colt, how can I determine which model?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass Trigger Guard III.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	1492881   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass Trigger Guard I.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	1492879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brass Trigger Guard II.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.88 MB 
ID:	1492880  

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7050 times
    Metal Detecting
    It does appear to be from a Colt - though there were several knock-offs at the time (and later).
    4x4x4 and Spats like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    5037 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your brass trigger guard is definitely from a civil war era Colt "cap-&-ball" revolver. The serial number 155,815 is not from a "knockoff" (imitation), which Charlie P. was correct to mention as an ID possibility that must be considered. You can tell which model of Colt by comparing it with the trigger guard on known models, or perhaps a Colt collector here can tell you just by eyeballing it. That's not me, so all I can do is guess it is from a .36 Navy, based on its very high serial number, combined with the fact that the .36 Navy was the most popular model of Colt's cap-&-ball revolvers.

I know that in the past you could contact the Colt company and they'd search their records to see who bought the Colt pistol with your serial number. Then I heard Colt charges a high fee for that, and lately I heard they no longer offer that service. After you find out for certain which model your trigger guard is from, contact the Colt company to find out what the current answer is. Go to the following URL and click on "Contact."
    Colt's Manufacturing LLC
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Sep 11, 2017 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Typing-error correction.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks CBG. I went to the Colt site and they have an archive department. I checked it out. For the low low price of $200, they will give me information on my $5 trigger guard. I don't think the wife would sign off on that.

I have seen posts in the past in response to Colt trigger guard questions indicating that you can tell if a Colt guard is from a pocket revolver vs, an Army or Navy by measuring the trigger guard. But I saw no mention of the measurements and I can't find anything on-line. Also, I know that at some point, they began stamping the caliber on the trigger guard exactly where my M or W inspector mark is. As mine has no caliber stamp, it predates that time, but again, I can't find an exact date for that change.

Is there a Colt expert out there that can answer either of these questions?
    A2coins and TheCannonballGuy like this.

us
    coppersmith

Oct 2013
    brunswick md
    WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
    3319 times
    Relic Hunting
    LUCKY DOG, NICE FIND..
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    7050 times
    Metal Detecting
    This site has some information but no detailed dimensions - might be worth trying to contact them

Model Index
    TheCannonballGuy and A2coins like this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    2495 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I've seen the inspection stamp on Colt Navy's, (the W or M stamp) if you can determine whether any other models were stamped in that location it might help narrow it down
    TheCannonballGuy and Spats like this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Oct 2012
    532 times
    It appears to be off of an 1849 pocket colt. Colt has a website where you can check their data base. Here's what I came up with.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505339596.770552.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	1493994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505339612.019928.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	1493995

us
    May 2015
    Central Mississippi
    Fisher
    327 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullstock View Post
    It appears to be off of an 1849 pocket colt. Colt has a website where you can check their data base. Here's what I came up with.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505339596.770552.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	1493994Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505339612.019928.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	1493995
    Thanks Fullstock. But why the 1849 Pocket rather than an 1851 Navy or an 1860 Army?

Oct 2012
    532 times

Brass Trigger Guard From Pistol

I don't have an 1849 handy to take exact measurements Spats, so it could be a 51, but it looks too small to be an 1860. I've owned a few 1849's and it looks like a guard from one. The dates listed for the serial number would work for a 51 or 49, but the serial number for an 1860 would put it being made in 1865.
    Last edited by Fullstock; Sep 13, 2017 at 07:30 PM.
    Spats likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links