Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By history preserved
  • 1 Post By smokeythecat
  • 4 Post By TheCannonballGuy
  • 2 Post By history preserved

Thread: 1850ís belt plate or junk??????

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2017
    Garret AT pro
    61 times
    Relic Hunting

1850ís belt plate or junk??????

So I found this at an 1850ís Seminole war era fort. It was SUPER deep. I think itís made of copper or brass. Iím pretty sure itís junk, but I just want to make sure.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512603815.187002.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	759.3 KB 
ID:	1523776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1512603826.109976.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	801.8 KB 
ID:	1523777
    mojjax and A2coins like this.

Charter Member

Nov 2012
    6570 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (3)
    I wouldn't get rid of it. It's very old and easily a pre Civil War militia piece.
    A2coins likes this.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    6097 times
    Relic Hunting
    Your find has sharp right-angle corners, so it is most likely not a beltplate or shoulder-belt plate, because those corners tend to cut things like fingers or clothing. There was an early form of photographic plate called a Daguerreotype, invented and popularized worldwide in 1839, consisting of a thin rectangular piece of sheet copper, whose image was made on a very thin layer of silver depositied on the plate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype
    We dig Daguerreotype plates occasionally at civil war era (and a bit later) sites. Diggers hope it's a belt-plate, but the 90-degree corners say no.

I can't say for certain that that's what you found, but it is at least a possibility.

You might want to make a tiny scrape on your find, to see whether the metal is yellow (brass) or pinkish-orange (copper). If it is brass, it is not a Daguerreotype plate.

If it is brass... thin sheetbrass waistbelt-plates/shoulderbelt-plates show two or three grey solder-spots on the back, where the belt-attachment hooks were soldered onto the plate. Are any visible on your find?
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Dec 07, 2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo in the date, I meant to type 1839, not 1939.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    AT PRO Nel Attack Coil
    4967 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Cool find let us know if you confirm what it is!!!!
    This is an addiction!!! There is no cure!!! And it only gets worse!!!!! KEEP PLUGGIN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 2017
    Garret AT pro
    61 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCannonballGuy View Post
    Your find has sharp right-angle corners, so it is most likely not a beltplate or shoulder-belt plate, because those corners tend to cut things like fingers or clothing. There was an early form of photographic plate called a Daguerreotype, invented and popularized worldwide in 1939, consisting of a thin rectangular piece of sheet copper, whose image was made on a very thin layer of silver depositied on the plate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daguerreotype
    We dig Daguerreotype plates occasionally at civil war era (and a bit later) sites. Diggers hope it's a belt-plate, but the 90-degree corners say no.

I can't say for certain that that's what you found, but it is at least a possibility.

You might want to make a tiny scrape on your find, to see whether the metal is yellow (brass) or pinkish-orange (copper). If it is brass, it is not a Daguerreotype plate.

If it is brass... thin sheetbrass waistbelt-plates/shoulderbelt-plates show two or three grey solder-spots on the back, where the belt-attachment hooks were soldered onto the plate. Are any visible on your find?
    Thank you! It is in fact copper.

Educator

Feb 2006
    Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
    White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
    6097 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thank you for confirming that your playing-card sized sheetmetal rectangle is made of copper. A Daguerreotype plate was copper with a thin layer of silverplate on one side. It might be worth your while to buy a small bottle of Tarn-X silver cleaning liguid and dip your copper rectangle, to see if it has silverplate on one side. Do NOT rub it. Seeing the black areas amid the green makes me think it has some silverplate remaining on it. (Silver tarnishes black-ish.)

If there's no silver... because you dug it in Florida, I have to mention that copper sheetmetal has been used for centuries to shield wood structures (piers, buildings, and boats, etc.) from the effects of saltwater in "marine environments."
    Last edited by TheCannonballGuy; Dec 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added info.
    "Let The Christ be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links